Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 04:30 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,575,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I don't even know if I have a party....I like the Libertarians BUT I support single payer and I have some liberal economic stances. I think I'm fiscally moderate. We need some government intervention because pure captialism leads to disaster.

I'm pro-choice.
Pro marriage equality even though I don't think government should be involved in marriage....
Marijuana should be legalized.
I'm against capital punishment
I think we need prison reform.
Against government waste
For single payer
I support gun rights within reason. There are some weapons that should only be reserved for the military.
I don't support wars.
I support renewable energy and I'm against drilling for more oil in this country. It's not worth all the pollution that will occur for oil that we'll just use up in a licket split second.

I support a maximum amount of time people can be on welfare unless they have a permanent disability or we're having a very long recession.

When I think of big government, I think of government being involved in every part of your life, monitoring a lot of what you do, etc.

I think we need single-payer health care in order to bring some economic prosperity, help individuals out, and help businesses (especially small businesses).
I agree with 100% of your "platform" and I'm independent ever since I registered to vote 19 years ago.Maybe we should start a party!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 04:33 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,782,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
Damn KevK...I'm having trouble labeling myself. Socially pretty liberal; Like some government intervention but not to excess. Still believe in personal responsibility but also have a heart for those less fortunate. I guess I'm middle of the road on AVERAGE.
I think that is where most people are. I call myself a LIBERAL but often times I have arguments with people who are far more liberal than me.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:34 PM

24,434 posts, read 23,098,542 times
Libertarian. I'm against the legalization of pot. But I'm all for industrial hemp as a crop.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:37 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,782,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I don't even know if I have a party....I like the Libertarians BUT I support single payer and I have some liberal economic stances. I think I'm fiscally moderate. We need some government intervention because pure captialism leads to disaster.

I'm pro-choice.
Pro marriage equality even though I don't think government should be involved in marriage....
Marijuana should be legalized.
I'm against capital punishment
I think we need prison reform.
Against government waste
For single payer
I support gun rights within reason. There are some weapons that should only be reserved for the military.
I don't support wars.
I support renewable energy and I'm against drilling for more oil in this country. It's not worth all the pollution that will occur for oil that we'll just use up in a licket split second.

I support a maximum amount of time people can be on welfare unless they have a permanent disability or we're having a very long recession.

When I think of big government, I think of government being involved in every part of your life, monitoring a lot of what you do, etc.

I think we need single-payer health care in order to bring some economic prosperity, help individuals out, and help businesses (especially small businesses).
I agree with everything here pretty much. I am not opposed to the death penalty in cases of henious crimes where guilt is established beyond any doubt at all (as opposed to the standard of "reasonable doubt" for a conviction). But that issue is not a hill to die on for me so long as the violent are kept safely locked up until they either die or are so old they cannot pose a threat to anybody else.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:40 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,796,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I agree with everything here pretty much. I am not opposed to the death penalty in cases of henious crimes where guilt is established beyond any doubt at all (as opposed to the standard of "reasonable doubt" for a conviction). But that issue is not a hill to die on for me so long as the violent are kept safely locked up until they either die or are so old they cannot pose a threat to anybody else.
I don't think we're any better by killing people to show that killing people is wrong.
I also think a lot of drug offenses shouldn't result in jail time. Selling crack, okay...yeah, go to jail and pay a huge fine. Of course once we legalize marijuana we shouldn't see a lot of people getting arrested for drug charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I agree with 100% of your "platform" and I'm independent ever since I registered to vote 19 years ago.Maybe we should start a party!
What shall we call it?

Old 05-01-2021, 10:35 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,616,469 times
Some of the republican replies are truly refreshing!

I've never registered with a party but I vote democratic usually. I'm just going to comment on what I believe that does not coincide sometimes with the democratic party.

I am for capital punishment when it is without a doubt a case of raping then killing children. That one sickens me more than anything else. I also think that when there is no doubt that the offender should be executed immediately, not let them appeal their conviction for 20 years. None of this loligagging around. Take them out swiftly.

All illegals should be immediately sent back to where they came from. Zero delay. Catch them and send them packing. No ands, ifs or buts. However, stop building a stupid wall that impedes the animals who need to get to the Rio Grande for water. And give DACA people full citizenship immediately unless they are a felon, in which case bus them out of here immediately. If I was president there would be no holding buildings, decisions would be made on the spot. However immigration would not be stopped, but the proper paperwork must be filed and cases of simply seeking a better life is not political assylum. Dreamers, I know one who was sent back to Mexico who came to the US when he was ONE year old. He couldn't even speak Spanish and was sent to this "foreign" country.
Day workers, seasonal workers, as many as needed, legally. Extreme fines for those who hire illegals and are hiding them.

Any president that lies and states that the election was stolen should be thrown out of the country never allowed to return.

Old 05-01-2021, 04:18 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,496,129 times
As a former dues paying Green, I am waiting to see which way the Republicans go. If they finish their transition to working class issues, then they could get most of my votes. If they go crawling back to the corporate oligarchy next year and continue being Dem Lite, then we would probably have revolt, insurgency, civil war, etc. I want peace.

Old 05-01-2021, 04:22 PM

18,463 posts, read 7,103,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
I almost always vote Republican. However there are a number of areas where I disagree with my party or those typically associated with my party. What about you guys?

1) I am against capital punishment

2) I am for the legalization of marijuana

3) I am against laws that dictate adult's sexual activity

4) I am against laws that control when alcohol can be sold

5) I am against arbitration

6) I am against 3 strikes laws

7) I am against mandatory sentencing

Pretty close to you, but I'd add abortion.

I try to take a Libertarian stance on many things, even though I don't officially call myself a Libertarian.

So, even though I personally find abortion abhorrent in almost all situations, I still don't think it should be completely banned.

To me there is really no good solution to it, so the best thing to do is leave it up to the individual states.

I also couldn't give a crap if gay people want to get married....

Who am I to tell them they can't be as miserable as everyone else??

Old 05-01-2021, 04:31 PM

19,830 posts, read 9,392,703 times
I don't have a party.

My views are almost 100% (I would say about 80-90%) with the values of the Democratic Party of 50 years ago, and as far as MOST issues are concerned, I am more liberal than conservative. However, the Democrats have gone insane with what is now called woke-ism, and for that reason, I voted for all Republican candidates in 2020 -- the first time EVER -- and I did so very reluctantly -- and if nothing changes, I will do so again in 2024.

Old 05-01-2021, 04:34 PM

25,829 posts, read 12,868,345 times
I'm a Libertarian, but my party trots out losers in nearly every Presidential lection.

So, then I jump into the Republican party's candidates, & all I get are bunch of big spenders.

If the Pubs would ditch the abortion issue, and say its a state by state decision, & cut spending, they'd be in control for the next 16 years at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies