Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 04:58 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Tort reform is such a red herring. Malpractice is 1/2 % of overall medical costs.

Oh yeah, I remember you saying that crap before.

The additional expenditures from physicians ordering increased labs and diagnostics for fear of litigation costs 200 billion per year. Ironically, this is the cost of Obama's health care plan per year. Simple solution- eliminate medical malpractice and use peer review boards and your system is paid for without changing anything other than removing the parasites from the system. Why will it never happen? The Trial Lawyers Association owns the democratic party. Even the dems are beginning to understand that they must separate themselves from the campaign contribution tit of the the lawyers to have any credibility.

Why are dems so in love with lawyers? I think if you ask the average person on the street, they would agree that lawyers in general are lying self interested slime who are parasites on a free society. So who is in control of the government? Lawyers. Who is in charge of "health care reform"? Lawyers. Good luck at a rational solution there. Birds of a feather flock together and one would expect a professionally corrunpt and unethical group of pigs like the Trial Lawyers Association to find a like minded group of thieves in the democratic party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Give me the list of Republican who will vote for a public option if tort reform is included.

Me. I am a right winger. The problem with healthcare is two fold-

1. The medical malpractice situation

2. fee for service medicine

I would support a public option that put us physicians on salary, but eliminated medical malpractice. I think that many, many physicians would support this.

The problem- when the host dies, so does the parasite. The lawyers are powerful blood sucking ticks that have too much political power. The public already knows this. The problem is that most of our elected officials are lawyers and they own the democratic party. Therefore, tort reform will never occur in the US.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Its never going to happen with the democrats;trial lawyers are their most powerful special interest> thier bought ansd paid for.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:14 PM

272 posts, read 215,937 times
Quote:
Tort reform is such a red herring. Malpractice is 1/2 % of overall medical costs.
"Overall medical costs"

That is a meaningless comparison having nothing to do with the impact malpractice has on the cost of my care. Here is the comparison I think is meaningful, A physicians Malpractice Premium as a percentage of His cost of doing business. Bring that number back and we can dicuss honestly how tort reform might help the health care customer.

Thanks

Old 09-11-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagey cretin View Post
"Overall medical costs"

That is a meaningless comparison having nothing to do with the impact malpractice has on the cost of my care. Here is the comparison I think is meaningful, A physicians Malpractice Premium as a percentage of His cost of doing business. Bring that number back and we can dicuss honestly how tort reform might help the health care customer.

Thanks

Very true. Malpractice rates vary widely from high risk (neurosurgery and OB) to low risk (primary care). Neurosurgeons in our area pay $200K a year for malpractice and make about $750K, for example.

The true cost, again, is the cost of all the unnecessary tests that we order to cover ourselves. Interestingly, I have a part time clinic at the VA in addition to my private practice. In the VA system, you cannot be personally sued, but there is a VA system tort in which cases are first reviewed by a panel of physicians. On a per-capita basis, my office manager tells me that I order 55% more imaging in my private clinic than the VA. Why- CYA.

You citizens are essentially shunting the money you pay for premiums to wasted tests courtesy of our friends at the Trial Lawyers Association. I cannot understand why there is no outrage against these pirates, as they are bleeding every other industry in the US dry.

Fight for freedom- get rid of the lawyers.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:24 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I would support a public option that put us physicians on salary, but eliminated medical malpractice.
You may know that even Federal public servants making much less than a physician have that sort of job protection so I doubt you are holding your breath?

I do believe there will be some sort of health reform. However, I believe it will do little more than to temporarily cap a political can of worms naively opened by Obama.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
You may know that even Federal public servants making much less than a physician have that sort of job protection so I doubt you are holding your breath?

I do believe there will be some sort of health reform. However, I believe it will do little more than to temporarily cap a political can of worms naively opened by Obama.

I agree. There is no serious interest in tort reform on the part of the dems with regard to healthcare or any sector of the US economy. The link below is an interesting read that shows how these pirates suck the blood out of the economy. They do more damage than any terrorist group, yet law schools graduate more and more pirates every year.

Litigation - cost of litigation to US businesses - includes related articles - CE Roundtable - Panel Discussion | Chief Executive, The | Find Articles at BNET

Old 09-11-2009, 06:02 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Very true. Malpractice rates vary widely from high risk (neurosurgery and OB) to low risk (primary care). Neurosurgeons in our area pay $200K a year for malpractice and make about $750K, for example.
This is a pretty good guideline - many (if not most) physicians spend the first 2-4 months of the year essentially working for free just to pay for malpractice premiums.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:12 PM

37,214 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
What does Lawyers lining their pockets have to do with improving health care?
About as much as HMOs do when they have staff fully trained to deny as many claims as possible.

Where tort reform has been implemented, the doctors have not passed along any savings, but merely (predictably) pocketed the profits.

Why is it, do you think, that the same doctors who want lower insurance are the ones who want to deny lawyers a right to make a living? Add to that the fact that the most conservative of them want less government intervention, unless, of course, they can profit personally from an increase in same. Speaking of transparency.

Tort reform is nothing but welfare for doctors.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:25 PM

272 posts, read 215,937 times
Lol!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies