Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 12:30 PM

345 posts, read 643,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymd View Post
While I agree that it is an absolutely absurd idea to ban College Republicans, I think you guys are missing the point. KevK's point was that Universities with a conservative culture are not allowing College Democrats on campus, so why are Universities with a liberal culture still allowing for College Republicans. Whether or not he actually believes liberal universities should ban College Republicans, I can't speak for. But I'm pretty sure he was mainly trying to point out the hypocrisy of the right, which has recently been going crazy claiming that liberals are the intolerant ones who want to silence all other views, yet they're not the ones doing this. Although by him actually proposing that College Republicans be banned, that totally backfired.
I think this is the best thing that can be taken from this thread. Yes, KevK's idea that Republicans should be banned from college campuses is absurd, but it is just that - his idea. The reality is that banning Democrats from college campuses is something that is enforced by a select few conservative private colleges.

So, for everyone making blanket statements about liberal intolerance based on what KevK has to say, you're really shooting yourself in the foot. Remember that those are just things he is saying, and that some conservative colleges actually practice this form of intolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 12:30 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,491,244 times
Being intolerant of intolerance makes you intolerant yourself. You cannot be truly tolerant and then not tolerate the intolerance of others.

Whew, say that five times fast!

Old 09-12-2009, 12:31 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,867,660 times
Most Universities are liberal. They teach the liberal view. So I can see why they would want to ban Republicans from their campus. How else can they keep the students ignorant?

Old 09-12-2009, 12:31 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,585,812 times
No, Republicans should not be banned from Campus.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:35 PM

1,936 posts, read 1,828,250 times
I vote no and have only read the first post.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:59 PM

97 posts, read 110,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
When did conservatives claim to be "intolerant of intolerance"? I believe this is solely a liberal mantra. Conservatives frequently call liberals out on their intolerance because we all know that liberal tolerance is nothing but a farce. Liberals can be just as intolerant as they claim conservatives are and the OP proves my point.
I didn't ever say conservatives made such a claim. I'm just sick of reading so much "liberal tolerance is the biggest oxymoron ever." Perhaps this is true. I have observed it in a lot of cases, but it's totally hypocritical for conservatives to bring it up because I see WAY more conservatives accusing liberals of intolerance these days than vice versa. I am sure KevK does not want to silence Republicans on college campuses. He is just showing that, in spite of the fact that conservatives always complain about being oppressed on college campuses, it is only liberals who that are oppressed. There are no universities telling their students there cannot be a College Republicans Group (aside from schools with a policy against any partisan groups). In the event that KevK is actually proposing this, then I find his plan would be very bad for this country. Also, please don't get me wrong. Any private college has every right to ban any group they want. It's just not the right thing to do to suppress one side's political views and not the others.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:04 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,297,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Perhaps but what is being learned at Bob Jones, Liberty and Regent?

Conservative University Founded by Jerry Falwell Bans College Democrats Club - Political News - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/22/conservative-university-founded-jerry-falwell-bans-college-democrats-club/ - broken link)

If you don't like it then go some where else. It's your money, to say some one should be banned for a different view well that is kind of like how it was in the USSR when they were communist.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:56 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,413,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I went to college at both a city college and, for the last 2 years, at a private university. They both had one thing in common and that was they had "College Republicans" and other neo con clubs that, at both colleges, were out of step with the vast majority of the students there. They handed out pro Reagan literature and put out a weekly newspaper. They were tolerated by the majority of students until they invited an unpopular dictator (think his name was Calero or something like that) to come and speak which erupted into a riot with blood being thrown and the liberals running the speaker off the platform. After that they became pretty much a non item and the newspaper went away because the local advertisers in Evanston did not want to deal with the politics of it anymore.
But it occurs to me that the university tolerated the Republicans because they believe in free speech. But conservative universities such as Bob Jones, Regent and Liberty do not allow Democrats on campus. If you go to school there and they discover that you are a Democrat, you can be expelled. Democrats are not allowed to speak on campus.
So my question is, why should the College Republicans be allowed to exist on liberal campuses where most of the student body detest them and everything they stand for?
Republicans generally are detested. They are divisive, supported by the klan because being conservative is synonymous with being a racist, completely out of step with a progressive society, and completely ineffective when they are in charge. They should be quarantined, especially on college campuses.

It is expected that they scream and shout now. It means that Obama is doing the RIGHT things. They are not only threatened by Obama's brilliant policies and superior decision-making process, but by their own ineptness and lousy record. They are the people who gave us the village idiot for 8 horrific years, so they should be hiding in a ditch somewhere quietly redefining the ideology of their party.

These are great times now and one reason is because Republicans are not happy.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:13 PM

817 posts, read 854,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Republicans generally are detested. They are divisive, supported by the klan because being conservative is synonymous with being a racist, completely out of step with a progressive society, and completely ineffective when they are in charge. They should be quarantined, especially on college campuses.

It is expected that they scream and shout now. It means that Obama is doing the RIGHT things. They are not only threatened by Obama's brilliant policies and superior decision-making process, but by their own ineptness and lousy record. They are the people who gave us the village idiot for 8 horrific years, so they should be hiding in a ditch somewhere quietly redefining the ideology of their party.

These are great times now and one reason is because Republicans are not happy.
You are so lost. Wow. Your grip on how politics works is so sooooooooo bad. Unbelievable. Just unbelievable. There is nothing else to say. There is no hope for you.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:45 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,793,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
You just made your case for communism!
I am simply asking a question as to whether or not it is OK for a college with a liberal political culture to ban organizations such as College Republicans in much the same way that colleges with a conservative political culture ban Democrats. Am I for banning them? No I am really for free speech although that does not apply to private colleges. But there does seem to be a double standard when conservative colleges DO ban Democrats but liberal colleges allow Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies