Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 12:38 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
So why can't he wear a beard? That's just a really dumb policy lol.
The article states he has a problematic skin condition that is aggravated by shaving. The PD argues that the facial hair, even just a goatee, prevents a tight seal on the protective gear that the officer would have to wear as a first responder. The officer argues a tight seal does occur in spite of the facial hair of a goatee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 12:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
The article states he has a problematic skin condition that is aggravated by shaving. The PD argues that the facial hair, even just a goatee, prevents a tight seal on the protective gear that the officer would have to wear as a first responder. The officer argues a tight seal does occur in spite of the facial hair of a goatee.
The devil is always in the details and the details rarely make the paper or the nightly news. After first blush, just another "frivolous" lawsuit, or is it?

Old 09-13-2009, 12:49 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Years ago my job dealt with insecticidal fumigants and the use of SCBA gear. The masks would not seal over a beard and for this reason beards were not allowed.

It seems to me that SCBA gear would not be a function of police work but more in line with firemen work. A clean and properly groomed beard can be very respectful looking even with a uniform and, if it does not interfere with one job's performance, it should be allowed.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:55 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,518 times
Does anyone know if this a common policy across many PDs and FDs? And also, was this policy in place prior to the officer applying for the job?

Old 09-13-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
Does anyone know if this a common policy across many PDs and FDs? And also, was this policy in place prior to the officer applying for the job?
I had not seen the earlier comment about the police being "first responders" but if that is the case, they have to wear SCBA gear. However, I do not know if the no-beard rule is standard for PDs and FDs as I was a federal regulatory officer.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:16 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times
A close cropped beard will not prevent a proper seal.

If you want to do the "grizzly Adams" thing then you won't get the airtight seal.

Many black men including myself had PSB and shaving would tear my face up.

As more black men joined the department the general order was changed and if a dermatologist confirmed PSB we were allowed a close cropped beard, but I could have no designs or in anyway be a "fashion" beard.

The trouble came when male Officers wanted to wear ear rings on duty!

Last edited by reconmark; 09-13-2009 at 07:13 PM..

Old 09-13-2009, 06:21 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A Houston police officer who has battled the department's no-beard policy in court for nearly two years said Thursday he hasn't decided his next step after a federal judge threw out his civil rights lawsuit against the HPD and the city of Houston.

Judge tosses suit against HPD beard ban | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
OMg people will try and sue over anything now a days

People are just making up rights now. I think its my right to take your tv from your house. I think its my right to take your dog from the back yard. I think its my right that I dont have to pay for my car.

You have the right to , Life, Liberty , Happiness. Everything else you earn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
If you are not happy simply because you cant wear a gold tee at work then get another job or stop being so dang silly
Personally, I'd rather have a cop come up to me w/a beard than that disgusting chester the molester mustache that you see on so many...shudder. And Jadex, I understand where you're coming from, however I'd like to say that if I had a job that required nylons (CRIPES!!!), I'd certainly make it a point to challenge that decision. I mean, why not? People have a right to challenge anything. Yes, there are stupid lawsuits out there, however since many of you are for smaller government, I would think you would welcome lawsuits or challenges against frivolous things such as a beard.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:49 PM

I always had trouble getting an SCBA mask over eyeglasses but that's another issue. Many years ago I was declined in a Missouri state game warden interview because I wore glasses. It seems that the Department had unsuccessfully fought at least one court battle where the plaintiff claimed the agent was not wearing his glasses and could not have seen what happened.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:00 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Many black men, and some white men, in the military have this problem. They first get checked out by a doctor to verify the condition. Once the doctor has verified the condition then the doctor issues a "no shave chit" to the person. He must keep this document with him when he's in uniform and must renew it on a regular basis. It's a very real condition. Though the slip allows the person to not shave, it does not mean they can grow a full beard. The beard must be neatly trimmed on a regular basis and they must be able to get a tight seal on their gas mask (this was in the Navy). I don't understand why a police dept should be any different.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:39 PM

I recall a black fellow in my Air Force squadron some forty years ago with a skin condition where he was allowed to grow a short beard. I have no idea what it was called back then but they did recognize the condition.

I agree that police departments should allow, in special cases, at least short neat beards just as the Armed Services do. I personally haven't had a beard in many years when I used to grow one for deer and elk hunting. My wife despises kissing a hairy face. Hmmm.... Come to think of it, I guess I would too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies