Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:47 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Good points tablemtn. I wasn't even taking into account social mores, socio-economic issues, drugs, racial tensions vs. population demographics, population density, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 09:02 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
We've moved down on the list, haven't we?

Old 09-16-2009, 10:45 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Our murder rate is very high, period. There's no defending it. Our murder rate with guns is alarmingly high. Most likely because of how common gun ownership is in this country. Do guns kill people? No. But how much easier is it to kill someone with a gun than some other weapon? I can't imagine trying to choke someone to death, or beat someone to death. It would take a pretty cold, evil person to do something like that. On the other hand, I think I would much rather die from being shot than being beaten or choked to death.

But the real question is, why is our murder rate so high compared to other industrialized(wealthy) countries? And what can we do to change it?

Like many have said before, it has a lot to do with demographics. In general we have many more ethnic groups in this country than other industrial countries. These minority groups are the biggest perpetrators of murder by far. In America, a black man is almost nine times more likely to murder than a white man is. This is evident(but less so) in other minority groups as well.

So what causes these disproportionate murder rates? Primarily culture, especially our more recent policy of "multiculturalism". It proposes to allow different distinct cultures operating within the United States. So instead of the melting pot where we eventually are all assimilated into the American culture/society, we have many cultures that operate within the united states, that generally don't like each other. Many of these minority cultures refuse to speak english, they refuse to acknowledge american holidays(or celebrate their own), and wish to remain seperate from american society. We have a common distrust and almost hatred for each other along these cultural groups. A common culture is what holds a country together. This policy of multiculturalism is causing the breaking apart of the United states. If we don't do something, this general animosity towards each other will end up causing a split in the country, possibly even a second civil war.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:48 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,634,206 times
This policy of multiculturalism is causing the breaking apart of the United states. If we don't do something, this general animosity towards each other will end up causing a split in the country, possibly even a second civil war.------

This is being created to keep our attention off of the economy, with all the noise it is easy to take your eye's off the ball. The US is broke we just don't know it yet, when people realize the party is over and no food, electricity, and gas due to the US being reduced to a third world status then all hell will break loose. It's both parties just kicking the can down the highway and we have run out of highway.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:15 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
What is it they say about statistics... that to the uninformed, they are believable lies? There is more than just... this figure says this and that... Sometimes when I hear statistics, I wish these people took a class about Stupidity... Living in South Africa is not the same as living in the US and living in the US is not the same as living in the UK... if you want to compare apples to apples start comparing places with equal land sizes, equal GDP, and equal number of people... on the otherhand, you could just remain an idiot and look for statistics and hope another idiot will believe everything you INFER to be truthful...

Old 09-19-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
What is it they say about statistics... that to the uninformed, they are believable lies? There is more than just... this figure says this and that... Sometimes when I hear statistics, I wish these people took a class about Stupidity... Living in South Africa is not the same as living in the US and living in the US is not the same as living in the UK... if you want to compare apples to apples start comparing places with equal land sizes, equal GDP, and equal number of people... on the otherhand, you could just remain an idiot and look for statistics and hope another idiot will believe everything you INFER to be truthful...

This chart isn't just comparing the total numbers of murders, it shows per-capita murders. What does land size, gdp, and population have to do with murder rates? Canada has more land and less people, and has a much lower murder rate. China and India have more people but less land, and have a lower murder rate. And there are many poorer countries and some more wealthy countries that have a lower murder rate.

If I was to really make a connection about murder rates, I would say a lot of it is a combination of disproportional wealth, social strife between ethnic groups, and drugs.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:14 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC_Marauder View Post
Also, it's interesting that those countries with LOWER murder-by-firearms rates have more restrictive firearms ownership laws as well. It's intersting that all the countries with higher murder-by-firearms rates than the US are less developed countries. No other developed country has a murder rate like the USA.
Switzerland's laws are less restrictive than several states in the U.S.

In addition, some of the safest states in the U.S. have the least restrictions on guns. Namely, states like Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Switzerland's laws are less restrictive than several states in the U.S.

In addition, some of the safest states in the U.S. have the least restrictions on guns. Namely, states like Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine.
And some of the safest states have a lot of restrictions on guns. It really isn't guns that cause or prevent murder. The answer lies in the cause of the murders.

In my opinion its basically caused by social inequality issues that are the root of most of societies problems. Its not all about money, the answer isn't "spreading the wealth", but its a fact that minorities and the poor are much much more likely to commit murders and other crimes.

Are they poor because they are criminals? Or are they criminals because they are poor? The scariest people, are the ones with nothing to lose.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:30 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
This chart isn't just comparing the total numbers of murders, it shows per-capita murders. What does land size, gdp, and population have to do with murder rates? Canada has more land and less people, and has a much lower murder rate. China and India have more people but less land, and have a lower murder rate. And there are many poorer countries and some more wealthy countries that have a lower murder rate.

If I was to really make a connection about murder rates, I would say a lot of it is a combination of disproportional wealth, social strife between ethnic groups, and drugs.
You just confirmed it... Canada is different... China is different... India is different.... so when you are comparing the US to totally different cultures, land sizes, population sizes... you might as well compare the US to Mars... Your first paragraph answered your own question... As to per-capita, I would say that it doesn't even come close to measuring social strife... that factor has to be taken independently... assuming that it can be measured by per-capita is an "assumption" error... one cannot assume and then act like they know it all... your evidence is extremely lacking and wouldn't even pass for a decent journal article... you assume too much and compared apples to cars... it may fool someone who doesn't understand statistics and errors... when you put judgment in numbers... you come out wrong because you didn't understand the whole issue...

Old 09-19-2009, 07:15 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
One thing to keep in mind when using any statistics like this is that they can be quite skewed because of the way individual nations or as in the case of the US how they compiled in different states. What is reported as a crime in one area might not be reported as one in another. In the case of some nations they simply may go unreported.

Having said that lets look at some other statistics. Note that the UK and Australia have pretty strict gun laws.
Quote:
Burglaries (per capita) (most recent) by country

# 1 Australia: 21.7454 per 1,000 people
# 2 Dominica: 18.7892 per 1,000 people
# 3 Denmark: 18.3299 per 1,000 people
# 4 Estonia: 17.4576 per 1,000 people
# 5 Finland: 16.7697 per 1,000 people
# 6 New Zealand: 16.2763 per 1,000 people
# 7 United Kingdom: 13.8321 per 1,000 people

# 17 United States: 7.09996 per 1,000 people
Quote:
Car thefts (per capita) (most recent) by country

# 1 Australia: 6.92354 per 1,000 people
# 2 Denmark: 5.92839 per 1,000 people
# 3 United Kingdom: 5.6054 per 1,000 people
# 4 New Zealand: 5.45031 per 1,000 people
# 5 Norway: 5.08143 per 1,000 people
# 6 France: 4.9713 per 1,000 people
# 7 Canada: 4.88547 per 1,000 people
# 8 Italy: 4.19755 per 1,000 people
# 9 United States: 3.8795 per 1,000 people
I always find this one humorous:
Quote:
Frauds (per capita) (most recent) by country

# 1 Germany: 10.8668 per 1,000 people
# 2 United Kingdom: 5.28324 per 1,000 people
# 3 New Zealand: 5.14126 per 1,000 people

# 18 United States: 1.25721 per 1,000 people
I wonder if the possibility of getting shot has anything to do with them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies