Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:49 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times

Advertisements

AP NewsBreak: Nuke agency says Iran can make bomb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 11:50 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post

And how long have we been hearing this nonsense?

Old 09-17-2009, 12:22 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
And how long have we been hearing this nonsense?
When have you ever heard the IAEA making this claim?

I guess you'll be a believer when Israel is turned to glass.

Quote:
VIENNA (AP) - Experts at the world's top atomic watchdog are in agreement that Tehran has the ability to make a nuclear bomb and is on the way to developing a missile system able to carry an atomic warhead, according to a secret report seen by The Associated Press.

The document drafted by senior officials at the International Atomic Energy Agency is the clearest indication yet that the agency's leaders share Washington's views on Iran's weapon-making capabilities.
We're finally seeing obama's version of "smart power".

His policies are going to start a war.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:24 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
As the maniacs and our enemies in the would become more well armed, our dear leader is working hard to weaken America and set us up for an attack.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:28 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,193,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
LOL the thread title makes it look like they gave Iran permission!

Old 09-17-2009, 12:34 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
That you gotta take up with who wrote it. I just copied it as I do with all the threads I start

Old 09-17-2009, 12:36 PM

799 posts, read 1,445,122 times
Quote:

That's what I thought too. That's a Leno headline.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:15 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Default That was a useless article...

Incredibly vague.

Quote:
Experts at the world's top atomic watchdog are in agreement that Tehran has the ability to make a nuclear bomb
What does that mean? They know how? That's unavoidable. Any nation with universities can train people that can build a bomb. The technology is sixty years old. The question is how sophisticated they can go - a 2000-pound nuke is an entirely different threat than a 200-pound one.

They have gathered the materials? That is harder. It would be news if they had. (I harbor no illusions that they won't eventually, though. They're smart, resourceful and dedicated.)

Quote:
and is on the way to developing a missile system able to carry an atomic warhead
Another task that isn't altogether too hard - if you have a sophisticated warhead that is small enough, light enough and engineered well enough to survive the launch. It took serious testing to develop the current crop of Russian and US warheads.

I think they'll be able to build a nuke in the next 2-3 years. I think they'll be able to launch a reasonably reliable and precise IRBM in the next 2-3 years. I do have to wonder if they'll be able to fit their nuke on top of their IRBM.

As can probably be told, I'm somewhat resigned to the thought of Iran with nukes - there's no bulls-eye target that'll stop them, they undoubtedly learned from the Osirak strike. Bomb them now, and you may at best delay them for some years, at worst trigger an uncontainable conflict. You'll also place the current regime firmly in power, **** off our current Shia allies in Iraq and probably have to spend a lot of time calming down the Saudis.

On the other hand, I see no reason to believe that an Iran with nukes will immediately trigger a strike on Israel. They're not dumb. They know that any missile leaving Iranian territory will be considered a possible nuke. And they know that Israel and the world will come down on them like a ton of bricks.

The logical motivation is this:Having a nuke is the globally accepted "get-out-of-US-invasion" card. Iran looked at US attitudes and actions towards Iraq (no bomb) and North Korea (has bomb) and drew their own conclusions.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:21 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
Quote:
For anyone paying any attention to Iran for the last few years, they know that there has been a big question as to whether or not Iran can make a bomb. So the wording would only be confusing to someone out of the loop.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:17 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
and Bush, Cheney, Powell, Rice and Rumsfeld said Iraq had WMD's... doesn't mean its true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies