Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 09:13 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,622 times

Advertisements

Well, it looks like we are making progress as the cost is now projected to be below $900 BILLION over the next ten years! Wow, I am so excited, I could just grunt!

How can we realistically add another $900 billion to the national debt?

I am about to pledge never again to vote for an incumbent that is currently in office.

Senator's plan could aid health care reform - Health care reform- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 11:15 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,689 times
...and if we don't reform this is the future:

Unsustainable.

The Republicans are too stupid to realize that their pie in the sky free-market idealism will lead us down a path of destruction while the Democrats' plan is marginally less inept. It's basically a facade around the same broken system. I'll give them style points. The solution, I'm sorry to say, is going to have to be a single payer. That or heavily regulations on insurance companies that dictate how much profit they can roll over and how much they can spend on red tape (a huge chunk of out health dollars, pathetic as it is). Big time tort reform, too. Big Pharma also needs regulated. It's the only way the average person is going to afford it. Copays, deductibles, premiums...they will continue to skyrocket. Eventually, it's going to get to the point where it doesn't work. Neither party wants to pursue a plan that is actually viable. Just application of duct tape and hope it doesn't go kaboom while they are in office. Something needs to be done to stop this for-profit madness from imploding.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:53 AM

59 posts, read 156,435 times
As long as lobbyists are permitted to visit policy makers this will never change. There are too many people that are making a killing right now and have for years. I work in healthcare and there are many things that can be done to reduce costs but will any politician go out on a limb to propose such changes? Not if they want to continue in politics.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:49 AM

307 posts, read 692,123 times
Get ready to "pony up" my fellow "hard working" Americans. $900 billion.. Good grief! When will it ever end.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:27 AM

300 posts, read 819,689 times
Martin Feldstein: ObamaCare’s Crippling Deficits - WSJ.com

Old 09-08-2009, 06:50 AM

128 posts, read 443,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
...and if we don't reform this is the future:

Unsustainable.

The Republicans are too stupid to realize that their pie in the sky free-market idealism will lead us down a path of destruction while the Democrats' plan is marginally less inept. It's basically a facade around the same broken system. I'll give them style points. The solution, I'm sorry to say, is going to have to be a single payer. That or heavily regulations on insurance companies that dictate how much profit they can roll over and how much they can spend on red tape (a huge chunk of out health dollars, pathetic as it is). Big time tort reform, too. Big Pharma also needs regulated. It's the only way the average person is going to afford it. Copays, deductibles, premiums...they will continue to skyrocket. Eventually, it's going to get to the point where it doesn't work. Neither party wants to pursue a plan that is actually viable. Just application of duct tape and hope it doesn't go kaboom while they are in office. Something needs to be done to stop this for-profit madness from imploding.
Get out of here with that logic crap. We don't cotton to no logic 'round here.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:59 AM

""Something needs to be done to stop this for-profit madness from imploding.""

Yeah, something is being done. Look around you. The Government is taking control of the free market. We are now being told what Light bulbs we can purchase to light our homes with. Soon, they will tell us what vehicles we can drive. So, they may as well tell us what doctor we can see.

I want to be free!

Old 09-08-2009, 11:49 AM

773 posts, read 2,630,932 times
Quote:
...and if we don't reform ... the future is unsustainable. The solution, I'm sorry to say, is going to have to be a single payer. That or heavily regulations on insurance companies ...
Regulations can always be gamed. See how regulations fared in the financial industry and the clean-air emissions standards in the auto industry. Only an optional government-run plan will keep the private insurance companies honest. If the private insurers continue their game plan of raising premiums, dropping customers for serious illnesses, and cherry-picking the youngest, healthiest clients, then people will voluntarily switch to the less expensive government plan, unless their private plan offers something that the government plan does not.

Quote:
Big Pharma also needs regulated.
Big Phama needs to be jaw-boned into reducing prices for Medicare prescription drugs under Plan D. The VA negotiates with Big Pharma for drugs for its patients; so does the government do so for federal employees in its insurance plan. The fact that seniors must re-evaluate their plans every two years to find which insurers cover their drugs can be laid directly at the feet of the Republican Congress and their bozo boy leader.

Quote:
Neither party wants to pursue a plan that is actually viable.
There are plans: a public option, and negotiation with Big Pharma over drug prices. But the Republicans would vote against a sunny day tomorrow if Obama suggested it. It's the Blue Dog Democrats who are gumming up the works.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:19 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,087 times
$900 Billion?

The Federal Reserve (aka Central bank) can print that right up! No worries Matey... Now, back to your regularly scheduled lobotomy of (by) "reality" shows... Nothing to see here folks....move along...

Old 09-08-2009, 01:20 PM

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
Thomas Jefferson

NO Health care reform!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies