Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it moral to use artificial contraception (condoms, The Pill, etc.) to prevent birth?
Yes, it's perfectly OK 78 90.70%
It's ethical in most cases 3 3.49%
It's ethical only in cases where non-use would cause a serious decline in the family's living standard or quality of life 0 0%
It's ethical only when having more children would put the family in extreme poverty 0 0%
It's never morally acceptable 5 5.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:26 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times

Advertisements

I'd rather people use contraception than add to an already overpopulated planted or give birth to a child they really didn't want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 01:21 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,679,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
Yikes , do you not have sex if your done having kids?
i think the op is advocating "natural family planning", also known as the rhythm method - tracking the woman's cycle and avoiding sex around ovulation. the problem with that is sometimes women's cycles hit a bump and go off kilter a bit, and they might be ovulating when they think they're not. and some women just have really irregular cycles and really can't keep track accurately. there are signs of ovulation you can watch for (slightly elevated temperature and some other stuff that's tmi to go into here), but if you have sex one day and see signs of ovulation the next day, you could easily get pregnant.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:34 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I'd rather people use contraception than add to an already overpopulated planted or give birth to a child they really didn't want.
I agree!

I think the use of contraception is more "moral" than not. The planets population has to be getting close to critical mass, then what?

Old 09-20-2009, 01:37 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Is it?

Personally, I believe artificial contraception (not natural family planning) is always immoral.

Our pastor gave an excellent (and brave!) homily on the sinfulness of artificial contraception and the damaging effects it has had on society today at mass. And while he could have done a better job presenting, he really struck the point home. The promiscuity that is so widespread today (the culture of "hooking up", serial sexual relationships, etc.) is largely facilitated by contraceptives. Divorce rates would likely be lower if couples had more children to act as an disincentive. And while I don't buy the whole "contraception causes abortion" spiel just yet, you have to admit that a lot of the time abortion is used as a "backup" to contraception, both psychologically and in reality. In addition, couples who have good reasons to limit the size of their family can use NFP (Natural Family Planning).
I think it's perfectly fine that you have your own opinion and that you think "artificial contraception" is immoral. Here's where the rub occurs: when people start LEGISLATING "their" morality to everyone else and/or set themselves up to be moral compasses. A compass, points to different directions as is. To the self-appointed compasses of the world, it only points to one direction - their own.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:40 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Is it?

Personally, I believe artificial contraception (not natural family planning) is always immoral.

Our pastor gave an excellent (and brave!) homily on the sinfulness of artificial contraception and the damaging effects it has had on society today at mass. And while he could have done a better job presenting, he really struck the point home. The promiscuity that is so widespread today (the culture of "hooking up", serial sexual relationships, etc.) is largely facilitated by contraceptives. Divorce rates would likely be lower if couples had more children to act as an disincentive. And while I don't buy the whole "contraception causes abortion" spiel just yet, you have to admit that a lot of the time abortion is used as a "backup" to contraception, both psychologically and in reality. In addition, couples who have good reasons to limit the size of their family can use NFP (Natural Family Planning).
In this day and age, safe sex is not a question of morality. It's a question of safety.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:43 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,245 times
I am Catholic and as such it is immoral. End of story.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:47 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post

Ahh I love how you try to speak for all Catholics. The vast majority of Catholics including myself would disagree....

Old 09-20-2009, 01:50 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Ahh I love how you try to speak for all Catholics. The vast majority of Catholics including myself would disagree....
Then, that would make you NOT catholic. It's still immoral even though you disagree with it and/or don't follow it.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:59 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Then, that would make you NOT catholic. It's still immoral even though you disagree with it and/or don't follow it.
AHh ok I get it now the only actual Catholics are those who agree with the church on every single issue. I guess everyone who supports the Death Penalty and the War in Iraq aren't Catholics, and those who didn't suggest the world was flat till about 15 years ago (when the church finally changed their official position) weren't actual Catholics either right??

Old 09-20-2009, 02:06 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times
Quote:
Originally posted by zz4guy
So says the church...and nobody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies