Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it moral to use artificial contraception (condoms, The Pill, etc.) to prevent birth?
Yes, it's perfectly OK 78 90.70%
It's ethical in most cases 3 3.49%
It's ethical only in cases where non-use would cause a serious decline in the family's living standard or quality of life 0 0%
It's ethical only when having more children would put the family in extreme poverty 0 0%
It's never morally acceptable 5 5.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 02:09 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
AHh ok I get it now the only actual Catholics are those who agree with the church on every single issue. I guess everyone who supports the Death Penalty and the War in Iraq aren't Catholics, and those who didn't suggest the world was flat till about 15 years ago (when the church finally changed their official position) weren't actual Catholics either right??
You can do anything you want, but under the Catholic umbrella it's a sin or mortal sin to do certain things, that's all. The Catholic Church is very black and white on every issue. And if you espouse yourself as a NON believer in those things, then you are not a Catholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 02:28 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Is it?

Personally, I believe artificial contraception (not natural family planning) is always immoral.

Our pastor gave an excellent (and brave!) homily on the sinfulness of artificial contraception and the damaging effects it has had on society today at mass. And while he could have done a better job presenting, he really struck the point home. The promiscuity that is so widespread today (the culture of "hooking up", serial sexual relationships, etc.) is largely facilitated by contraceptives. Divorce rates would likely be lower if couples had more children to act as an disincentive. And while I don't buy the whole "contraception causes abortion" spiel just yet, you have to admit that a lot of the time abortion is used as a "backup" to contraception, both psychologically and in reality. In addition, couples who have good reasons to limit the size of their family can use NFP (Natural Family Planning).
1. What about the overpopulation in countries like India and China which is due in large part to a lack of contraception. Many children die from poverty and disease as a result

2. The spread of HIV has occurred in third world countries at higher rates than western countries due to the lack of contraception use in those countries.

3. What about the moral responsibility to orphaned children in the United States. Many of these children never find homes. Contraception prohibits unplanned children in many teenagers and young adults who are not prepared to raise children.

4. "Natural Planning Methods" such as the rhythm method and withrdawl technique have far less effectiveness that IUD, oral contraceptives and barrier methods.

5. Promiscuity is multifactorial. It is a result of several factors including our culture and society's views toward sex, parenting, religion/faith, access to contraception, support system, education and the individual's own attitude or desire to have sex. It's inaccurate to blame one factor like contraceptives for promiscuity.

6. Is there a study that conclusively shows a relationship between lower divorce rates and the number of children? Otherwise, how can you conclude that a couple is less likely to divorce the more children they have?

Old 09-20-2009, 02:33 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
NFP has given us many of the fine folks posting today . It's a great first line of defense but if you have an active sex life, and don't want to risk pregnancy, artificial means are not only MORAL but NECESSARY. There is nothing more immoral about a condom than there is about NFP...the goal of both is exactly the same.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:35 PM

380 posts, read 692,045 times
From a Christian standpoint, it's unethical, not Biblical and immoral for married couples to use contraception. Christian couples are supposed to "marry and multiply" in building the Kingdom of God; in creating other human beings that will partake in the great spiritual inheritance bestowed upon Christians by God.

On the other hand, non-married Christians are not supposed to be having pre-marital sex/fornicating. So, contraception should not even be a consideration or issuefor those trying to adhere to the Word of God by being celibate.

From a human/worldly standpoint, contraception is necessary to protect individuals from diseases and unwanted pregnancies...good, old-fashioned "safe sex"!

Old 09-20-2009, 02:37 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
You can do anything you want, but under the Catholic umbrella it's a sin or mortal sin to do certain things, that's all. The Catholic Church is very black and white on every issue. And if you espouse yourself as a NON believer in those things, then you are not a Catholic.

So I guess Catholics are almost non-existent then since you are labeling most Catholics as non-Catholics...

Old 09-20-2009, 02:39 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'd be more worried about hormones in your food supply, read chickens and cows.

If you think it's immoral, don't use it.
Keep your opinions off of my body.

Alternately, all males should receive a surgical vasectomy at birth with reversal after the age of 25 with mental and financial stability proven.

Only then can they pay for a reversal.

After all, it takes sperm to make a woman pregnant.
Try again: I do not trust our government that much--------suppose it became totalitarian?

Besides: using your reasoning-----------all females should be fixed @ birth as well.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:43 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Let the Vatican decide what is moral or immoral in the eyes of their faith; obviously, artificial contraception must be OK or there would be mass excommunications in 'Catholic' countries with low birthrates.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:46 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,098,308 times
tvdxer - how can contraception be immoral, but NFP is okay? Isn't that hypocritical? I'm not being sarcastic, I would really like to know.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:51 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
From a Christian standpoint, it's unethical, not Biblical and immoral for married couples to use contraception.
That would be from YOUR standpoint. Christianity is silent on family planning and BC beyond telling us that it's good to be fruitful and multiply. Anything beyond that, such as "no bc", "as many kids as god gives me", etc. are personal human interpretations.

If you use NFP you are breaking the "code" you set up for yourself. There are no loopholes in Christianity, which is why you shouldn't attempt to read more into it than the basics.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:53 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,349,017 times
Default Billings Method Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i think the op is advocating "natural family planning", also known as the rhythm method - tracking the woman's cycle and avoiding sex around ovulation. the problem with that is sometimes women's cycles hit a bump and go off kilter a bit, and they might be ovulating when they think they're not. and some women just have really irregular cycles and really can't keep track accurately. there are signs of ovulation you can watch for (slightly elevated temperature and some other stuff that's tmi to go into here), but if you have sex one day and see signs of ovulation the next day, you could easily get pregnant.
Have never used contraception. Used the Billings method. Never took my temperature and w did have an irregular cycles over the decades. Even ovulated during my menses twice. You ALWAYS know when you are fertle. We have 3 children, now grown, all planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies