Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 08:16 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Greeting's,

Yes Indeed Friends ... "Southern Pride" ... Represents A "Proud Heritage" embraced by a great many "Loyal American Citizens'. !!!

Currently there are tremendous numbers of modern day Southerners whom are researching their own Unique and Cherished Historical connections to the "Old South"..... circa "1800's.

Unfortunately there are always a "Few Folks"... who view the concept of "Southern Pride" with a great deal of "Spiteful & "Negative" Stereotyping". It is truly unfortunate that much of the outstanding "Factual & Educational "... Historic Content of America's facinating "Southern People" may well remain deliberately obstructed due to the alarming existence of an acute "Historical Ignorance" among so many of America's "Politically Correct Pundits".....

"Southern Pride" ..... "Truly A Great Heritage"..... "A Remarkable Tradition That Lives On ..... "Uniquely American".....and "Not So Long Ago".....
May We Cherish All Of America's "Unparalled and Glorious" History...

Friends..... May You Now..... In Good Faith ..... Post Your Most Valuable Comments..... Thank You L.F.
What an excellent idea! I'm gonna translate that into deep pride and worship of my own Utah heritage. 20 teenage wives, Native American genocide, Isolationist Religious Fundamentalism and violent uprisings against the Federal Government, here I come!!!!!! Yeee Hawwww!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 08:31 PM

9 posts, read 11,670 times
If the south sucks soooooo much, why are millions of people moving there? The south is going to gain a ton of representatives in government after the census.

Liberals have ruined the north. The obvious mass exodus out of the blue states is all we need to prove that the south is the land of opportunity. I never see southerners up north, but I see tons of northerners down south.

Look up the New Great Migration too.

And as far as racism/hate goes, more people joined the KKK in the north than the south, to this very day.

Also, the Civil Rights Cases in 1883....Harlan, the only justice in favor of civil rights...was from Kentucky. All the rest were from the north and appointed to the court by the likes of Lincoln, Grant, etc.

Oh, and you don't need a college degree or whatever to work on a farm. The states that spend the lowest on education are also the ones with priorities on agriculture. And a ton of that food goes to feed the hungry in Africa and other places.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:44 PM

177 posts, read 266,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Coon dog, your posts are getting more and more vituperative. Are you drunk?
Nope. I keep reading of how racist my South is, and was. Funny, y'all just ignore facts. Let's be very honest for just one second, ok? Most of the Southern banner wavers around my place are Native American. You may know history, but a very slanted version. Slavery was protected under the US Constitution. These crimes that everyone speaks of took place under the Federal Flag. How many of these criminals were transplanted yankee?

I'll leave you with this...

David Wilmot of Pennsylvania
“I would preserve to white labor a fair country, a rich inheritance, where the sons of toil, of my own race and my own color can live without the disgrace which association with Negro slavery brings upon free labor.â€
“Finally and paradoxically, a racial factor contributed to the northern attitude. Antipathy against slavery often went hand in hand with a racism that was similar in essence, if not in pervasiveness or intensity, to the southern racial feeling. Many northerners objected to the presence of slavery in their midst, in part, because they objected to the presence of blacks there.â€

Racist Lincoln In August, 1862
“Why should people of your race be colonized, and where? Why should they leave this country? You and we are different races. We have between us a broader difference than exists between any
other two races. Whether it is right or wrong, I need not discuss; but this physical difference is a great disadvantage to us both, as I think. Your race suffers very greatly, many of them, by living among us, while we suffer from your presence. If this is admitted, it affords a reason, at least, why we should be separated.â€

Old 06-04-2010, 10:42 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
What an excellent idea! I'm gonna translate that into deep pride and worship of my own Utah heritage. 20 teenage wives, Native American genocide, Isolationist Religious Fundamentalism and violent uprisings against the Federal Government, here I come!!!!!! Yeee Hawwww!

Man, I thought we just put you down like a century ago. Kinda like the Taliban---you can't ever kill them!

Old 06-05-2010, 12:43 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coon dog View Post
King visted Chicago at Sardon’s behest in 1966. His visit was not pleasant. During one of his peaceful marches on Chicago’s Southwest side, residents threw rocks, knives and set fire to vehicles.“I’ve been in many demonstrations all across the South,†said King. But I can say that I have never seen --even in Mississippi and Alabama -- mobs as hostile and hate-filled as I’ve seen in Chicago. I think the people from Mississippi ought to come to Chicago to learn how to hate.â€
Good Quote. But MLK also said:

"We must all learn to live together as brothers. Or we will all perish together as fools."

"Forgiveness is not an occasional act; it is a permanent attitude."

Old 06-05-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coon dog View Post
"The Confederate battle flag today has nothing to do with race. It stands for a romantic image of a chivalric, honor-based culture that was driven down by the brute force of crass Yankee capitalism, which was better at manufacturing weapons than using them, and that shortly thereafter gave us the Grant administration and the Gilded Age.It stands for a proud military heritage shared by both blacks and whites in the South. The reverence for tradition and pride in historical antecedents are precisely what make Southerners, black and white, such stalwart patriots. The flag under which slavery flourished for almost a century is good. But the flag under which slavery existed for less than a decade is bad"? Ann Coulter
Ann Coulter She's from New York City
Damn Yankee

Why don't you quote Margaret Mitchell

"The south produced statesmen and soldiers, planters and doctors and lawyers and poets, but certainly no engineers and mechanics. Let Yankees adopt such low callings."

Last edited by pollyrobin; 06-05-2010 at 01:04 AM..

Old 06-05-2010, 12:54 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Ah, I have visited many large urban areas both in the United States and abroad. I have also lived in several small towns, and they do not fit what you call a ghetto. Many of the people that I associate with in my small Alabama town have an advanced degree, and they are of different races and backgrounds.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmer22 View Post
....Oh, and you don't need a college degree or whatever to work on a farm. The states that spend the lowest on education are also the ones with priorities on agriculture. And a ton of that food goes to feed the hungry in Africa and other places.
One says advanced degrees in the south are common (even in small towns ), while the other says not so much (and that it doesn't matter anyway in "agriculture")... so which is it?

BTW, Alabama is #27 nationally in total per-capita spending for education, and #39 in elementary and secondary spending (even less than West Virginia... "agricultural" indeed!). Per-capita state and local education spending

Old 06-05-2010, 01:06 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
It's so bad down here people from all over the US are coming here in droves...

Quote:
The South remained the primary destination for migrants within the United States, with average net inmigration of 353,000 annually (a rate of 3.4 per 1,000) between 2000 and 2004. While these were the highest figures of any region, they reflect a modest decline from even higher migration figures for the 1990s, when net inmigration averaged 380,000 per year (a rate of 4.1 per 1,000).
So while you bloviate just remember you're on the wrong side...

Old 06-05-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
It's so bad down here people from all over the US are coming here in droves...

The South remained the primary destination for migrants within the United States, with average net inmigration of 353,000 annually (a rate of 3.4 per 1,000) between 2000 and 2004. While these were the highest figures of any region, they reflect a modest decline from even higher migration figures for the 1990s, when net inmigration averaged 380,000 per year (a rate of 4.1 per 1,000).
And that's the TRUTH Gardening is such a ***** in the south The weather is the worst, and the folks are awful

Old 06-05-2010, 05:15 AM

177 posts, read 266,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Good Quote. But MLK also said:

"We must all learn to live together as brothers. Or we will all perish together as fools."

"Forgiveness is not an occasional act; it is a permanent attitude."
"In our government-controlled schools we are taught that Lincoln was our greatest president because his war ended slavery and saved the Union. As usual, the other side of the story -- the side that reflects poorly on the government--somehow gets lost."
Richard J. Maybury

http://www.armyoftennesseerelics.com/uploads/DSC05286_lg.JPG (broken link)

John B. Gordon, born February 6, 1832, was an orator, lawyer, statesman, soldier, publisher and governor of the State of Georgia.

John B. Gordon believed in the South’s Constitutional right to secession, but after it was crushed, he worked to reunite the nation and helped white and black Southerners the war had made poor.

COMMENTARY: The John B. Gordon Story - Huntington News Network

General Forrest

Ladies and Gentlemen I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. ( Immense applause and laughter.) I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to elevate every man to depress none. (Applause.) I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand. (Prolonged applause.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies