Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2007, 10:20 PM

547 posts, read 1,185,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
Thanks so much AZ Annie! You rock
You are very welcome and thank YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 10:31 PM

38 posts, read 45,426 times
Smoking poses risks to peoples health. I know I can't stand to be around people smoking. I gag and smell like their nasty cigarettes if they are around and the wind is blowing my way. Which usually is for some reason even if I switch my position. I think smoking should be banned while people are at work, and in public places. Outside is ok.

What bothers me a lot is people who smoke and are at work. They feel they have a 'right' to a smoke break every 15- 20 minutes, while those who do not smoke have to continue working. Once someone went for a smoke break and I went and got a coke. When the boss said something, I told him "I don't smoke, but I can have a coke break whenever they have a smoke break". Smoke breaks got cancelled.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:47 PM

543 posts, read 2,311,294 times
I am one of the smokers that is considerate of others. I don't smoke in my home either, I step out on the deck. I never smoked in a restaurant even if we sat in a smoking section. However, if I want to go with friends and have a drink in a bar, I want to smoke. Any person working in a bar knows most of the patrons smoke, so please, don't call a no smoking ban a clean air act like Independece MO did! ( They did that so the ban would pass) Half the people on our bowling league left because they could no longer smoke in the bowling alley. I step out in between games to smoke. Bad thing is we can't take our beer outside to drink, so while we are out our beer gets warm.

Personally I think it looks very tacky driving by places where tons of people are standing outside in large groups smoking. We crack up driving by a hospital seeing all the nurses outside smoking.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:59 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
Smoking poses risks to peoples health. I know I can't stand to be around people smoking. I gag and smell like their nasty cigarettes if they are around and the wind is blowing my way. Which usually is for some reason even if I switch my position. I think smoking should be banned while people are at work, and in public places. Outside is ok.

What bothers me a lot is people who smoke and are at work. They feel they have a 'right' to a smoke break every 15- 20 minutes, while those who do not smoke have to continue working. Once someone went for a smoke break and I went and got a coke. When the boss said something, I told him "I don't smoke, but I can have a coke break whenever they have a smoke break". Smoke breaks got cancelled.
Thats the thing though, you base your conclusion on the fact that smoke irritates you. If it irritates you, it doesn't mean it is harmful. As some people have said, perfume irritates them to the degree that you mentioned. Ever cut an onion, been around pepper, walked into a bathroom that stunk or smelled someone with bad BO? We don't see the EPA classifying it as a harmful toxin do we? Point is, just because it bothers you, it doesn't make it bad for you in the amounts you are receiving it.

When a person farts, that gas is harmful. Do we then charge someone with attempted murder when they pass gas around us? Maybe it has something to do with the "levels" of a substance and a "threshold" it must reach before it becomes toxic? Could be?

Old 10-23-2007, 06:42 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
Ahh, the great democratic practice:

Norfolk votes on Smoking Bans (http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/stories/wvec_local_102207_norfolk_smoking_ban.19840ae6f.ht ml - broken link)

Quote:
Norfolk City Council is set to vote on what may be the first smoking ban in Hampton Roads
Isn't it great that the citizens of Norfolk have no say in the matter? I wouldn't be so outraged if the citizens could vote for themselves - if they pass the law, I won't eat out in Norfolk. Again, citizens should be able to vote for themselves whether they want a blanket ban on smoking.

If the majority of voters want it passed, then great. However, not even having a vote - ridiculous.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:25 AM

547 posts, read 1,185,874 times
That is ridiculous Kuharai. I've heard of other city councils doing the same thing. I guess they don't trust their constituents will vote the way they want, so they aren't giving them the opportunity. It sounds like they already know what the outcome will be. This way they don't have to worry their ban may fail, by keeping it out of the hands of their voting public. Makes you wonder what's next, doesn't it?

Old 10-23-2007, 08:54 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Ahh, the great democratic practice:

Norfolk votes on Smoking Bans (http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/stories/wvec_local_102207_norfolk_smoking_ban.19840ae6f.ht ml - broken link)

Isn't it great that the citizens of Norfolk have no say in the matter? I wouldn't be so outraged if the citizens could vote for themselves - if they pass the law, I won't eat out in Norfolk. Again, citizens should be able to vote for themselves whether they want a blanket ban on smoking.

If the majority of voters want it passed, then great. However, not even having a vote - ridiculous.
So why don't the citizens of Norfolk STAND UP????

Old 10-23-2007, 09:01 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
Default looks like there is support of the smoking ban from what I've found

Kuharai

Did you attend any city council meeting before the smoking ban was enacted? From what I find in this other article it looks like the city council as far back as Oct 6th had meetings on this issue. Did any of the owners of restaurants or bars attend the council meetings in protest? I read that the Virginia Beach Restaurant Association told the council that a smoking ban is a good move and that Wilson “put a lot of stock in that endorsement”, did anyone oppose the ban at council meetings?

I noticed that City Attorney Bernard Pishko said Norfolk’s city charter gives the city the right to ban smoking. Will this be a smoking ban in “all” of Norfolk or just the area called Hampton Roads?

ARTICLE: Norfolk courts Virginia Beach in bid to OK smoking ban ( - HamptonRoads.com/PilotOnline.com) (broken link)

This sounds interesting from the other report that I was able to search on. Sounds like everyone is supporting the issue of a smoking ban in the local area but not at state level.

Recently in Hampton Roads, the case for local option took a healthy turn, thanks to some welcome cross-border conversation between leaders in Norfolk and Virginia Beach.

In Virginia Beach, a local ban is stalemated not for any lack of popular support, which is abundant, but for lack of municipal authority to enact it, which is non-existent. The Beach City Council, reflecting the enthusiasm of its resort and restaurant business, unanimously petitioned lawmakers for the power to enforce one.

ARTICLE: Lighting up hope for smoking ban (The Virginian-Pilot - HamptonRoads.com/PilotOnline.com) (broken link)

The two links here show additional information on the issue. Looks like it is supported by the locals?

Old 10-23-2007, 09:08 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
So why don't the citizens of Norfolk STAND UP????
1) The laws allow this to happen.
2) Norfolk is lazy.

The market is about to get really weird here when it comes to restaurants. If you don't like Norfolk's laws, you have one of the following RIGHT nearby: Chesapeake, Virginia Beach (for now), Suffolk, Portsmouth, Hampton, Newport News

Some will flock to Norfolk for no smoking, and some will end up flocking to outlying cities. God, I love this area.

And seriously, it shows that the system for these blanket bans is not democratic. It's "We have the power to do this. What you want is none of our concern. We want votes to stay in power"

Again. Things should be interesting.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:14 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
1) The laws allow this to happen.
2) Norfolk is lazy.

The market is about to get really weird here when it comes to restaurants. If you don't like Norfolk's laws, you have one of the following RIGHT nearby: Chesapeake, Virginia Beach (for now), Suffolk, Portsmouth, Hampton, Newport News

Some will flock to Norfolk for no smoking, and some will end up flocking to outlying cities. God, I love this area.

And seriously, it shows that the system for these blanket bans is not democratic. It's "We have the power to do this. What you want is none of our concern. We want votes to stay in power"

Again. Things should be interesting.
Seems that way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies