Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 04:58 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times

Advertisements

Right outta da box, let me say this: This is one of very, very few bills I can agree with. Nuclear is horrible in the war context, no doubt about it. As it stands now, I seriously doubt one side or the other is going to push that button, as annihilation is all but a given for the instigator as well as the enemy.

However, there is much, so much more to do before anyone disarms unilaterally across the board. Who does one "trust" to give in first? Let's say, just for instance, that the US and Iran agree to disarm. Who goes first? Us? Them? As a gesture of "good will?" Who is going to be granted the position of the middle man? China? Russia? North Korea?

I don't know the answer to any of my questions, that's why I posted them. I only know this: I doubt I will see a nuclear-free world in MY lifetime, but I can always pray for the same.

Enough of my thoughts. Here's what predicated it all:

Quote:
UNITED NATIONS (AP) - With President Barack Obama presiding over a historic session, the U.N. Security Council unanimously approved a U.S.-sponsored resolution Thursday committing all nations to work for a nuclear weapons-free world.

Russia, China and developing nations supported the measure, giving it global clout and strong political backing.

The resolution calls for stepped up efforts to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons, promote disarmament and "reduce the risk of nuclear terrorism." It calls for better security for nuclear weapons materials and underscores the Security Council's intention to take action if such material or nuclear weapons get into the hands of terrorists.
New UN resolution aims at nuclear-free world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 05:07 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Sorry to bust your bubble... the nuclear non-proliferation act was passed in 1068... its been 40 years and we STILL have nuclear warheads... how long does it take to break down a few thousand warheads? Its talk and talk is cheap... If Obama really intends to disarm nuclear weapons then DO IT.. don't talk about it and see who moves, just DO IT... show the world that you mean it and they will do the same... but if you go and talk and talk and talk... they can say WHATEVER they want and do jack shhhht

Old 09-24-2009, 05:10 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Sorry to bust your bubble... the non-nuclear proliferation act was passed in 1068... its been 40 years and we STILL have nuclear warheads... how long does it take to break down a few thousand warheads? Its talk and talk is cheap... If Obama really intends to disarm nuclear weapons then DO IT.. don't talk about it and see who moves, just DO IT... show the world that you mean it and they will do the same... but if you go and talk and talk and talk... they can say WHATEVER they want and do jack shhhht
No bubble to burst.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:13 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Great!

So those who do nothing wrong and want to protect themselves are totally insane for going for this.

Why?

Because people like Iran and Obamas sidekick Akcmenawad will always have them and we wont.

Smart, take ours away and yet allow the bad countries to have them.

Bad people will always be able to get what they need to for one, everything has a price.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:18 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Great!

So those who do nothing wrong and want to protect themselves are totally insane for going for this.

Why?

Because people like Iran and Obamas sidekick Akcmenawad will always have them and we wont.

Smart, take ours away and yet allow the bad countries to have them.

Bad people will always be able to get what they need to for one, everything has a price.
Well since Iran currently doesn't have nukes and the US does this post is pretty much wrong.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:22 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
yes 20,000+ US nukes to Iran's none!

Old 09-24-2009, 08:46 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Right outta da box, let me say this: This is one of very, very few bills I can agree with. Nuclear is horrible in the war context, no doubt about it. As it stands now, I seriously doubt one side or the other is going to push that button, as annihilation is all but a given for the instigator as well as the enemy.

However, there is much, so much more to do before anyone disarms unilaterally across the board. Who does one "trust" to give in first? Let's say, just for instance, that the US and Iran agree to disarm. Who goes first? Us? Them? As a gesture of "good will?" Who is going to be granted the position of the middle man? China? Russia? North Korea?

I don't know the answer to any of my questions, that's why I posted them. I only know this: I doubt I will see a nuclear-free world in MY lifetime, but I can always pray for the same.

Enough of my thoughts. Here's what predicated it all:

New UN resolution aims at nuclear-free world
IMO, who cares what the U.N. plans on doing, their resolutions seem to carry little weight these days....even the U.S. has ignored when it's not to our benefit to. They can't get the countries with veto authority to even agree on the resolutions they keep putting on N. Korea, who just ignores them any way and makes nuclear threats towards neighboring countries because of the resolutions (which is why they keep getting them in the first place).

Old 09-24-2009, 09:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Basically the UN has nothing to decide. It taskes treaties just as in the past between nations.Iran'nprth korea will not talk to amount to anyhtign especailly varifcation which is what they ended up skunking clinton on while continuing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies