Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:09 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,771,601 times

Advertisements

Hm, this is interesting. I hope they have their permits. But then again, would not having a permit to gather by the thousands make any difference? Let's just say, for instance, that thousands of Christians, or thousands of Jews, or thousands of Buddhists, or thousands of Hari Krishnas, or thousands of atheists, or thousands of wiccas, or thousands of any other organized/unorganized religion were to gather on the Capital Steps of these United States, to pray to whomever from 0400 to 1900 hours. Would this be allowed?

ISLAM ON Capitol hill

Somehow, I don't think so. For Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Hari Krishnas to gather in one place for a prayer vigil would be most offensive to the muslims, to islam, to mohammed, don't you think? And we, the normal population of the United States, are no longer a Christian Nation, according to The One.

And here's a little more info for ya to grapple with, eh?

Muslims Are Meeting to Pray on the Capitol Steps on September 25, 2009-Truth!

Maybe all y'all who relish this should learn the prayer, in arabic, in the first URL, huh? Funny, the last statement on the first URL is: OUR TIME HAS COME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 01:14 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,585,067 times
"And we, the normal population of the United States, are no longer a Christian Nation, according to The One."

Whoever The One is speaks the truth. We are not a Christian country. We are a country that has mixed religions. As you said, Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, Christians, etc etc all make up the United States of America. Last I heard, we do not have an official religion and that is the way it should be.

Second of all, if you want to pray on Capital Hill, please do it by all means. Nobody is stopping you. You are free to do it.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:21 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,771,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
"And we, the normal population of the United States, are no longer a Christian Nation, according to The One."

Whoever The One is speaks the truth. We are not a Christian country. We are a country that has mixed religions. As you said, Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, Christians, etc etc all make up the United States of America. Last I heard, we do not have an official religion and that is the way it should be.

Second of all, if you want to pray on Capital Hill, please do it by all means. Nobody is stopping you. You are free to do it.
Wow, you are so smart! And you ask "where is God?" Well, sure, I can pray there all day long, but I didn't refer to an individual, I referred to thousands. I agree with you on not having an "official" religion, BTW. And you know, in your liberal heart, who The One is, your leader, dude.

Come on, now, twist the words to fit your bill just a little more, you can do this, I know you can.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:23 PM

757 posts, read 803,863 times
Default seperation of church and state

Yet the US Congress prays everyday at the beginning of session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Hm, this is interesting. I hope they have their permits. But then again, would not having a permit to gather by the thousands make any difference? Let's just say, for instance, that thousands of Christians, or thousands of Jews, or thousands of Buddhists, or thousands of Hari Krishnas, or thousands of atheists, or thousands of wiccas, or thousands of any other organized/unorganized religion were to gather on the Capital Steps of these United States, to pray to whomever from 0400 to 1900 hours. Would this be allowed?

ISLAM ON Capitol hill

Somehow, I don't think so. For Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Hari Krishnas to gather in one place for a prayer vigil would be most offensive to the muslims, to islam, to mohammed, don't you think? And we, the normal population of the United States, are no longer a Christian Nation, according to The One.

Maybe all y'all who relish this should learn the prayer, in arabic, in the first URL, huh? Funny, the last statement on the first URL is: OUR TIME HAS COME

Old 09-24-2009, 01:30 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,725,996 times
"The Athan will be chanted on Capitol Hill, echoing off of the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument and other great edifices that surround Capitol Hill"

Wow, how loud is thing going to be?? I might have to stroll outside for a look-see

Quote:
Well, sure, I can pray there all day long, but I didn't refer to an individual, I referred to thousands.
Sure you can pray there, stand there, walk there, or dance around in polar bear suits (it was cute), it's just a good idea to let Capitol Police know so they don't get antsy. You and God might know why you all are there, but they won't know your intentions until you tell them. I think they got their permit issued back in July.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:32 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,853,100 times
Quote:

Christians Gather on Capitol Hill to Fast, Pray - US - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com
The non-partisan Christian Defense Coalition, which organized the vigil, also placed a 16-foot cross on the west lawn of the Capitol building.
The prayer event, called "The D.C. Awakening" began Oct. 5 and ends Saturday, Oct. 11, at 7 p.m.

I guess you missed this event from last year.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:35 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,651,968 times
Quote:

ISLAM ON Capitol hill

So what? Let them pray - it keeps them from making suicide vests I keed I keed

But really, where is the harm? They aren't marching demanding sharia law. They aren't attempting to have sections of the country 'muslim only'.

Oh, and on a personal note....atheism is not a religion. A large gathering of atheists is like saying a large gathering of brunettes - there is no agenda there.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:55 PM

[MOD CUT]

Quote:
Wow, you are so smart! And you ask "where is God?" Well, sure, I can pray there all day long, but I didn't refer to an individual, I referred to thousands. I agree with you on not having an "official" religion, BTW. And you know, in your liberal heart, who The One is, your leader, dude.

Come on, now, twist the words to fit your bill just a little more, you can do this, I know you can.
Thank you. Yes, I am smart.

What is wrong with me asking "Where is God?" What does this have to do with the subject on hand?

Thousands of Christians can also go and pray in front of Capitol Hill. I don't care. You can make a prayer group of thousands or millions and pray.

Yes, we do not have an official religion and I believe it should stay that way. I am all for religion even though I am an Atheist. I am all for having the right to practice what you believe and worship as you please. I am all for having the right to NOT believe and worship. The only time I am against religion is when it is being pushed into the government.

My leader? The One? Hmm. I do not have a leader. I control my own life and thoughts. Sorry.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-24-2009 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: response to deleted post

Old 09-24-2009, 02:24 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,655,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
[MOD CUT]

Thank you. Yes, I am smart.

What is wrong with me asking "Where is God?" What does this have to do with the subject on hand?

Thousands of Christians can also go and pray in front of Capitol Hill. I don't care. You can make a prayer group of thousands or millions and pray.

Yes, we do not have an official religion and I believe it should stay that way. I am all for religion even though I am an Atheist. I am all for having the right to practice what you believe and worship as you please. I am all for having the right to NOT believe and worship. The only time I am against religion is when it is being pushed into the government.

My leader? The One? Hmm. I do not have a leader. I control my own life and thoughts. Sorry.
I'm not a Christian, or a Muslim, or any thing else, so, your barking up the wrong tree. Once again, you assume that a right leaning viewpoint makes one a Christian by rote, and goes hand in glove with bigotry against religions other than Christianity. The left uses guys like Falwell and such as their poster children for Christian hating, which is understandable, but misguided. Or by design. Using the most fanatical as examples of the norm. Hate Christians all you like, it does nothing to further an agenda any more than if I were to hate Wiccans (which I don't) If I were to hold up radical Islam as an example of ALL Muslims those on the left would be calling me all manner of putrid names. So, why is it OK for those on the left to do the same with Christians? Makes no sense at all to me that a left winger would defend hatred and bigotry in ANY form, unless the left wing view of all Christians as fanatical fire breathing Bible thumpers is something besides bigotry? Or perhaps the fact that there are radical Christians makes it OK to hate ALL Christians or to disparage the Christian faith as a whole? WHOA thar I says! I thought only right leaning people had such views? You need to come up with a better counter than this. Saying that one form of bigotry is OK because of the existance of another is a loose saddle on a rank horse.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-24-2009 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 09-24-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I'm not a Christian, or a Muslim, or any thing else, so, your barking up the wrong tree. Once again, you assume that a right leaning viewpoint makes one a Christian by rote, and goes hand in glove with bigotry against religions other than Christianity. The left uses guys like Falwell and such as their poster children for Christian hating, which is understandable, but misguided. Or by design. Using the most fanatical as examples of the norm. Hate Christians all you like, it does nothing to further an agenda any more than if I were to hate Wiccans (which I don't) If I were to hold up radical Islam as an example of ALL Muslims those on the left would be calling me all manner of putrid names. So, why is it OK for those on the left to do the same with Christians? Makes no sense at all to me that a left winger would defend hatred and bigotry in ANY form, unless the left wing view of all Christians as fanatical fire breathing Bible thumpers is something besides bigotry? Or perhaps the fact that there are radical Christians makes it OK to hate ALL Christians or to disparage the Christian faith as a whole? WHOA thar I says! I thought only right leaning people had such views? You need to come up with a better counter than this. Saying that one form of bigotry is OK because of the existance of another is a loose saddle on a rank horse.
I did not say anything to you about your religion. I was just saying as an example. I do not understand where you getting that I assume someone who leans right is a Christian. I never said you were. I was just pointing something out. You said "the left is tolerant of all other religions except for one (Christianity)" and I said "Well, the right is hating of all religions minus Christianity."

I do not hate Christians. I never said it was ok for the left to "hate" Christians. I am actually pretty understanding and can see the difference between a Christian and a FANATICAL Christian.

I am not in a debate or argument with you. I was just stating what I saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies