Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:17 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times

Advertisements

Paid to do nothing - Federal news, government operations, agency management, pay & benefits - FederalTimes.com

Quote:
The U.S. Postal Service, struggling with a massive deficit caused by plummeting mail volume, spends more than a million dollars each week to pay thousands of employees to sit in empty rooms and do nothing.

It’s a practice called “standby time,” and it has existed for years — but postal employees say it was rarely used until this year. Now, postal officials say, the agency is averaging about 45,000 hours of standby time every week — the equivalent of having 1,125 full-time employees sitting idle, at a cost of more than $50 million per year.
Truly outrageous. I guess government never will consider laying off people that aren't needed, will they?

This is a perfect example of in the red, wasteful government-run program...just like HC will be.

We remember this, don't we?

YouTube - post office

And this - is this why we're bailing out the PO, to the tune of $4 Billion?

A $4 billion bailout for the Postal Service? - David Rogers - POLITICO.com

Quote:
even as Democrats moved to exempt the Postal Service from having to make $4 billion in payments due next week to cover retirement health benefits for its employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 06:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Then they will wander why just as the UAW did why thier agnecy/company is going under and they are losig huge number of job. Crazy systems.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:01 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,750 times
I'm sorry, I'm confused -

(1) The USPS is an indepedent agency of the United States Government;
(2) They are paying millions to employees to sit around and do nothing of productive value;
(3) Isn't that the M.O. of our beloved U.S. Government? How independent is the USPS, truly?

Old 09-30-2009, 07:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Guess what folks..we, the taxpayers just funded their pension fund to the tune of $4 billion.
Thank Congress for that.

US Senate OKs 1-Mo Emergency Extension Of Federal Government Funding Levels (http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market-news-story.aspx?storyid=200909301755dowjonesdjonline000 797&title=us-senate-oks-1-mo-emergency-extension-of-federal-government-funding-levels - broken link)

snippet:
"The minority party was also critical of the package because it includes language allowing the U.S. Postal Service to defer a $4 billion payment to its employees' pension fund. The taxpayer will make the payment on behalf of the postal service, which would make up the shortfall over the next several years."

Old 09-30-2009, 08:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Truly outrageous. I guess government never will consider laying off people that aren't needed, will they?
Abiding by contractual agreements is outrageous?

Old 09-30-2009, 08:45 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,897,543 times
I'm UNION!!! Good luck trying to lay me off. I love my job at the USPS. Who is going to deliver your junk catalogs and packages? UPS? HA!!! We deliver most of their packages for them already. Sure, like any other business there are jobs that could be cut. However, why not throw a bunch of taxpayer money into the USPS. I mean, we are spending zillions on two useless wars, bailing out banks and businesses at the drop of a hat. We spend taxpayer money paying doctors as they abuse medicare and medicaid. Hell, the money given to the USPS is a bargain compared to the other crap that receives government money. Of course I am biased.

BTW, just to pour salt in the wounds and aggravate, I get paid around 8.5 hours a day and no matter how many hours I work, I still get paid for that 8.5 hours. Hell, one week I worked 25 actual hours and still got paid for 43 hours!!! The kicker...I GOT 3 HOURS OF OVERTIME PAY IN THAT!!! Of course, not all area's of the USPS get paid that way. Oh and I pay less than $200/month for family medical insurance and I can go to ANY doctor and any hospital in the nation.

I LOVE MY JOB!!!

Old 09-30-2009, 09:03 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
You think it's bad now? Wait until they implement their plan to stop delivering mail on Tuesdays.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:09 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I understand there is something similar that happens with teachers in New York.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:15 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I'm UNION!!! Good luck trying to lay me off. I love my job at the USPS. Who is going to deliver your junk catalogs and packages? UPS? HA!!! We deliver most of their packages for them already. Sure, like any other business there are jobs that could be cut. However, why not throw a bunch of taxpayer money into the USPS. I mean, we are spending zillions on two useless wars, bailing out banks and businesses at the drop of a hat. We spend taxpayer money paying doctors as they abuse medicare and medicaid. Hell, the money given to the USPS is a bargain compared to the other crap that receives government money. Of course I am biased.

BTW, just to pour salt in the wounds and aggravate, I get paid around 8.5 hours a day and no matter how many hours I work, I still get paid for that 8.5 hours. Hell, one week I worked 25 actual hours and still got paid for 43 hours!!! The kicker...I GOT 3 HOURS OF OVERTIME PAY IN THAT!!! Of course, not all area's of the USPS get paid that way. Oh and I pay less than $200/month for family medical insurance and I can go to ANY doctor and any hospital in the nation.

I LOVE MY JOB!!!
Good for you! Love how ya rubbed it in the face of the resident whiners!!!

Now just quit drop kicking the packages into the bins and we'll be friends!!!

Old 09-30-2009, 09:22 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I'm UNION!!! Good luck trying to lay me off.
Lot's and lot's of Union "members" have been laid off - fired - canned - tossed out the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies