Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 01:18 PM

745 posts, read 1,438,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What I think should be discussed is how the vast majority of Americans work, and work hard, and continue to be sold out by the hypocritical, greedy corporate leaders who, encouraged by Republican labor policies (or lack thereof), worsen their working conditions, slash their benefits and their wages while increasing their own compensation packages. How are American workers rewarded?
I think there is a point being missed here..... I think part of this civic responsibility that has eroded includes employers building businesses for their community. Employees are not victims of "greedy" employers. If it is a problem.... get a different emplyer. It is way more complex...... but I think the article is refering to a personal responsibility for EVERYONE.

why do these threads ALWAYS revert to Gov't vs. Free Martket? I do not think that this is the breadth of the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
The progressive ideologues spread their indoctrinating ideology throughout our school systems creating selfish, lazy people looking for handouts from the nanny state.
I think this quote from the article hits the above point PERFECTLY.
"The cultural upheavals of the era spurred deep changes in institutions that traditionally transmitted the work ethic—especially the schools. University education departments began to tell future grammar school teachers that they should replace the traditional teacher-centered curriculum, aimed at producing educated citizens who embraced a common American ethic, with a new, child-centered approach that treats every pupil’s “personal development” as different and special. "

Old 10-01-2009, 01:41 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
[quote=kemcnyc;11003734]
Quote:
I think there is a point being missed here..... I think part of this civic responsibility that has eroded includes employers building businesses for their community. Employees are not victims of "greedy" employers. If it is a problem.... get a different emplyer. It is way more complex...... but I think the article is refering to a personal responsibility for EVERYONE.
Have you seen the unemployment numbers lately? They are admitting to a recession, but we are in the midst of a depression. How are people going to find different employers when lots of them can't find one to begin with?

Old 10-01-2009, 02:04 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I agree with the earlier post that said that progressives have pounded this into the heads of schoolchildren for a number of years which increases the number who don't do a job for love of the job.

An example, of what I say is the public school teachers of today. In my early years we weren't paid very good but most of us did it for love of the job. My wife who is just now 60 says that the younger the teachers are the less likely they do the job for love of the job, but most of them do it for money and refuse to do anything that they don't get paid for. Kids were always so much more important to me, than money.
Interesting. I see the opposite in the medical community. It is a job that gets harder every year--more paperwork, longer hours, less time with patients...I recently worked with a national medical student association and the overwhelming attribute among members was that today's young docs, especially those entering generalist medicine, are really in it to help people--not for the money or glory.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:09 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Work? Whats that?

Old 10-01-2009, 02:18 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Work? Whats that?
Great question. Doesn't seem to be that much of it available.......

Old 10-01-2009, 02:43 PM

370 posts, read 440,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Right you are. I saw earlier on this thread someone railing against the progressives and what they believe (what a freaking broken record that is played here ad nauseum). What I think should be discussed is how the vast majority of Americans work, and work hard, and continue to be sold out by the hypocritical, greedy corporate leaders who, encouraged by Republican labor policies (or lack thereof), worsen their working conditions, slash their benefits and their wages while increasing their own compensation packages. How are American workers rewarded? Their jobs are outsourced to places like India or given to H1B visa holders.

What about that great old Republican phrase, "personal responsibility"? What responsibility have these corporate robber barons shown to the workers who kill themselves for their bottom line?

Its funny how the left values the American worker who works the longest hours and who are the hardest working in the world.

as opposed to the rights disdain for the the American worker who they think is lazy and worthless but defends the CEO"S who runs the company into the ground.

Very telling indeed.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:45 PM
obo

916 posts, read 986,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
Its funny how the left values the American worker who works the longest hours and who are the hardest working in the world.

as opposed to the rights disdain for the the American worker who they think is lazy and worthless but defends the CEO"S who runs the company into the ground.

Very telling indeed.
you know why the left advocates long working hours? So they can steal more of your money in the form of taxes.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:47 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
you know why the left advocates long working hours? So they can steal more of your money in the form of taxes.
Ah yes, you've figured it out Watson. The *** is up!!!

Old 10-01-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Have you seen the unemployment numbers lately? They are admitting to a recession, but we are in the midst of a depression. How are people going to find different employers when lots of them can't find one to begin with?
The article covers this in my opinion. Talks about growth goals of the 80's and the beginning of reducing head count for efficiency, etc...

There was a time where when you joined a company.... you expected to be there for a long as you wanted. We are talking 40-50 years ago. these days no longer exist and there are a lot of reasons noted in the article.

"The corporate restructurings of the 1980s, prompted by a new generation of risk-taking entrepreneurs and takeover artists who used aggressive financial instruments with provocative names like “junk bonds” to buy and then make over big companies that failed to remake themselves, reordered corporate America, shaking it out of its 1970s complacency. But the plant closings, downsizings, and restructurings of the 1980s also stoked anxiety among workers, as the old ideal of lifetime employment at one paternalistic company gave way to a job-hopping career in a constantly changing business landscape."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies