Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 03:57 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times

Advertisements

He's still funnier than Leno
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 04:01 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
In defense of the OP, he never said Halderman was innocent either. He made a valid point. Letterman took public shots at Sanford while having an affair himself during that time, which proves Letterman's hypocrisy. I'm sure the OP would agree that Halderman is a despicable individual for trying to extort another human being.
I think Sanford became a target for mocking less for the affair, and more for his the way it was revealed and how Sanford behaved after being found out. The "hiking on the Appalachian trail", his wife saying she didn't know where he was, his puppy-love moping about his Argentinean love of his life in press conferences.... the whole thing was a spectacle, and other comedians were getting laughs out of it as well.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:03 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
This happened before 1986? Wow, the extortionist sure was patient.
Letterman married his current wife in 2009.

David Letterman secretly married
Mon Mar 23, 2009

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Late-night TV comic David Letterman has quietly married his longtime girlfriend, telling audience members of his show on Monday that he almost missed the ceremony because his truck was stuck in mud.

Letterman, 61, and Regina Lasko tied the knot during a courthouse ceremony near their Montana ranch last Thursday. The couple, who have been dating since 1986, were accompanied by their 5-year-old son, Harry.

" ... I had avoided getting married pretty good for, like, 23 years, and I -- honestly, whether this happened or not -- I secretly felt that men who were married admired me ... like I was the last of the real gunslingers," Letterman said, according to a "Late Show" transcript provided by a spokesman.

The affair continued until he had his son five years ago.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:10 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
He's still funnier than Leno
That taco bell clip was funnier than every episode of Leno combined.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:18 PM

He was a long-term relationship since 1986. If your boyfriend of twenty years had multiple affairs would you discount it because you were not married?

Old 10-02-2009, 04:20 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I think Sanford became a target for mocking less for the affair, and more for his the way it was revealed and how Sanford behaved after being found out. The "hiking on the Appalachian trail", his wife saying she didn't know where he was, his puppy-love moping about his Argentinean love of his life in press conferences.... the whole thing was a spectacle, and other comedians were getting laughs out of it as well.
That's a good point too. And to be honest, I understand where Letterman was coming from in a way. It's his job to mock politicians and public officials. Letterman never spared Bill Clinton regarding Monica Lewinsky. But the OP is right, I mean Letterman was vicious and it's interesting because during the time of those jokes, he was doing the same thing with his staff members. It is hypocrisy whether or not it is justified.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:21 PM

480 posts, read 878,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Letterman married his current wife in 2009.
I believe he was referring to the fact that Letterman has been in a relationship with his now-wife since 1986. Though he was indeed unmarried before this year, he was not single or unattached when he was engaging in these affairs.

Not that I think it matters. Letterman is an entertainer, and whom he sleeps with is none of my business. Likewise, I don't care whom Sanford slept with. I DO CARE that he abandoned the state for several days and lied to his staff and constituents.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:23 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
He was a long-term relationship since 1986. If your boyfriend of twenty years had multiple affairs would you discount it because you were not married?
Don't impose yourself and your values into their relationship. What you or I would do or accept within a relationship has nothing to do with what anyone else would do or accept.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Don't impose yourself and your values into their relationship. What you or I would do or accept within a relationship has nothing to do with what anyone else would do or accept.
Mrs Sanford forgave her husband and was working to save her marriage. Guess you guys can lay off now.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:29 PM

507 posts, read 678,638 times
Quote:
Honestly, we have no idea about the nature of their relationship. There is a such thing as an open relationships. His girlfriend easily may have known what was going on. I think it's too much to assume that he "cheated" on her without knowing more details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies