Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 02:01 PM

502 posts, read 1,252,056 times

Advertisements

We will be setting up and lighting with real candles our "Christmas" tree in celebration of my pagan ancestors.

We will be celebrating Midnight Mass which has always been a tradition in my family and my wife's family.

We will celebrate Hanukkah with my sister-in-law's family.

We will also celebrate the Islamic New Year for the first time with our new brother-in-law and his family.

And most of all, we will be celebrating these wonderful holidays and traditions that give us an "excuse" to slow down and appreciate what is important in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 02:14 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Today I heard a radio spot for Sams Club advertising holiday shopping, and the holiday catalog.

There's no such holiday called holiday. Christmas is not a 4 letter word.
Guess it's okay with them if Jews shop for Hanukkah, you reckon?

Old 11-03-2009, 02:38 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post
We will be setting up and lighting with real candles our "Christmas" tree in celebration of my pagan ancestors.

We will be celebrating Midnight Mass which has always been a tradition in my family and my wife's family.

We will celebrate Hanukkah with my sister-in-law's family.

We will also celebrate the Islamic New Year for the first time with our new brother-in-law and his family.

And most of all, we will be celebrating these wonderful holidays and traditions that give us an "excuse" to slow down and appreciate what is important in life.
I have a coworker who's Jewish and she invited us to a candlelighting cermony at her church or maybe temple.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:45 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,713,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Guess it's okay with them if Jews shop for Hanukkah, you reckon?
Haven't they always? Has there ever been a Hanukkah catalog, or a Hannakuh tree or a Hanukkah wreath?

Old 11-03-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Haven't they always? Has there ever been a Hanukkah catalog, or a Hannakuh tree or a Hanukkah wreath?

What?

"holiday" doesnt make anyone feel excluded, you see.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

What?

"holiday" doesnt make anyone feel excluded, you see.
How does Christmas make people feel excluded? It's a federal holiday, it's called "Christmas", not 'holiday." There has never historically been a "holiday" wreath, "holiday" tree, "holiday lights", "holiday music", etc. 92% of Americans celebrate Christmas, not "holiday."

There are over a dozen holidays in America, yet only one; Christmas, has recently been referred to as "holiday." It's the assumption of offense by you pc leftists that are trying to change the name of a federal holiday.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:04 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,941,820 times
Quote:
How does Christmas make people feel excluded? It's a federal holiday, it's called "Christmas", not 'holiday." There has never historically been a "holiday" wreath, "holiday" tree, "holiday lights", "holiday music", etc. 92% of Americans celebrate Christmas, not "holiday."

There are over a dozen holidays in America, yet only one; Christmas, has recently been referred to as "holiday." It's the assumption of offense by you pc leftists that are trying to change the name of a federal holiday.
But no one said anything about wanting to change the name of the holiday. You complained that Sam's is having a holiday sale instead of a Christmas sale. But they are having a holiday sale so that it includes, and therefore draws business becasue of, celebrants of all the holidays that occur in the upcoming season. Holidays like Thanksgiving, Kwanzaa, Christmas, Channukah, Diwalli, and probably some others I am forgetting. Sam's had the option to include them all by saying holiday, including just one by nameing that specific holiday, or trying to include them all by naming each holiday seperately. I think they made a prudent business decision.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
But no one said anything about wanting to change the name of the holiday. You complained that Sam's is having a holiday sale instead of a Christmas sale. But they are having a holiday sale so that it includes, and therefore draws business becasue of, celebrants of all the holidays that occur in the upcoming season. Holidays like Thanksgiving, Kwanzaa, Christmas, Channukah, Diwalli, and probably some others I am forgetting. Sam's had the option to include them all by saying holiday, including just one by nameing that specific holiday, or trying to include them all by naming each holiday seperately. I think they made a prudent business decision.
First of all, you might wanna do a little research on Kwaanza, before you cite it, it's the equivalent of a KKK holiday. Secondly, historically in America we have referred to the time around now until the new year as "Christmas season", not holiday season. again, there is no such thing as a "holiday tree", "holiday gifts", "holiday lights", "holiday wreaths", etc. 93% of americans celebrate Christmas, not "holiday."

Old 11-03-2009, 03:20 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Hey, anyone got the year Bill O'Reilly made up the phony "War on Christmas" (isn't that just too, too dramatic )

How many years has it been?

And NOBODY has lost a thing .

EVERYBODY who wants to observe the birth of Jesus with booze, football, greed, irresponisble spending on crap, spoiling their brats, or baking and eating themselves to death. Everyone is free to go to church and see Da Babee on TAX FREE property..... ....so what's the problem?

Old 11-03-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Hey, anyone got the year Bill O'Reilly made up the phony "War on Christmas" (isn't that just too, too dramatic )

How many years has it been?

And NOBODY has lost a thing .

EVERYBODY who wants to observe the birth of Jesus with booze, football, greed, irresponisble spending on crap, spoiling their brats, or baking and eating themselves to death. Everyone is free to go to church and see Da Babee on TAX FREE property..... ....so what's the problem?
I was just wondering about BillO -- still a little too early in the schedule, I guess.

Whatever happened to that hideous blond skinny guy who used to shoulder at least half the WoC duty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies