Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 01:12 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times

Advertisements

I refuse to buy Christmas cards that don't mention what they are. I don't consider those that say only Happy Holidays something I can send to my Christian friends. In fact, for a number of years I have sent nothing but Leaning Tree cards that have western themes about winter, cowboys and other western traditions concerning Christmas as we of the I guess backward area of the Great Plains that border on Oklahoma. The area I live in has lots of cowboys and most farmers raise lots of cattle and we just think of ourselves as ranch oriented. I wonder if any of those people in Oklahoma and Texas that Azriverfan spoke about are the same way. Well, actually, i know that they are like us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 01:14 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,684,460 times
The only reason jesus is taking out of Christmas in the last 20 years is because people are afraid to offend someone else and would rather turn Christmas into a national "good cheer" holiday and not make it a religious holiday. Everyone gets off work and probably has more friends now that happen to be someone other then christian. We have more cultures here now in the untied states then before and some government groups dont want the headache of putting a religious item on anything related to any holiday. Seperation of church and state is becoming a self taught law and people can see what religion and state can do together and destory all freedoms of those who dont see eye to eye.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:17 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,847,443 times
When Christmas Was Banned in Boston | Massachusetts Travel Journal

"For preventing disorders, arising in several places within this jurisdiction by reason of some still observing such festivals as were superstitiously kept in other communities, to the great dishonor of God and offense of others: it is therefore ordered by this court and the authority thereof that whosoever shall be found observing any such day as Christmas or the like, either by forbearing of labor, feasting, or any other way, upon any such account as aforesaid, every such person so offending shall pay for every such offence five shilling as a fine to the county."

From the records of the General Court,
Massachusetts Bay Colony
May 11, 1659

Old 10-08-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That's nice but it's not a generally done or accepted practice. In many New York area schools with a large predominant Jewish population, their schools are not shut down for various Jewish holidays regardless if a large number of Jews decided to skip school. Students are excused for missing that day but the school session isn't shut down
Well maybe its changed since the late 60s early 70s, but I went to White Plains High School in NY and I recall getting days off. Some of my classes would have only had one or two kids in them if they had kept the school open.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:23 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
The only reason jesus is taking out of Christmas in the last 20 years is because people are afraid to offend someone else and would rather turn Christmas into a national "good cheer" holiday and not make it a religious holiday. Everyone gets off work and probably has more friends now that happen to be someone other then christian. We have more cultures here now in the untied states then before and some government groups dont want the headache of putting a religious item on anything related to any holiday. Seperation of church and state is becoming a self taught law and people can see what religion and state can do together and destory all freedoms of those who dont see eye to eye.
When was Christmas not a good cheer holliday? Frosty the Snowman, Santa Claus, the Peanuts Christmas special, the Grinch stole Christmas, Christmas Trees, Egg nog are strong religous influenced traditions?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Well maybe its changed since the late 60s early 70s, but I went to White Plains High School in NY and I recall getting days off. Some of my classes would have only had one or two kids in them if they had kept the school open.
I already acknowledged you got days off. Did your school shut down though?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:27 PM

http://www.whiteplainspublicschools.org/4112947613290/lib/4112947613290/2009-2010_Calendar_for_Web_Page.pdf (broken link)

Schools Closed – Yom Kippur

Old 10-08-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
http://www.whiteplainspublicschools.org/4112947613290/lib/4112947613290/2009-2010_Calendar_for_Web_Page.pdf (broken link)

Schools Closed – Yom Kippur
Are you arguing this is generally accepted practice in the country even among areas with significant Jewish populations because this occurred at your school? What about other religions. Do schools in New Jersey with heavy Indian populations shut down for Diwali?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
How many of my freedoms have been dealt with by the PC people in government. Some of them have been violated by attempts to take Christ out of Christmas. I can't see any reason to give gifts on mas day

Old 10-08-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
When Christmas Was Banned in Boston | Massachusetts Travel Journal

"For preventing disorders, arising in several places within this jurisdiction by reason of some still observing such festivals as were superstitiously kept in other communities, to the great dishonor of God and offense of others: it is therefore ordered by this court and the authority thereof that whosoever shall be found observing any such day as Christmas or the like, either by forbearing of labor, feasting, or any other way, upon any such account as aforesaid, every such person so offending shall pay for every such offence five shilling as a fine to the county."

From the records of the General Court,
Massachusetts Bay Colony
May 11, 1659
Just think, a colony that was originally established for religious freedom, at least from a king that was punishing those people. Even within 40 years they were already getting anti-Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies