Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 12:56 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,350,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I didn't say it did; I just said I remember when I was in retail we had to say "Happy Holidays" vs "Merry Christmas"...take the drama down a notch or two.
Fair enough, I deserved that. My apologies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 12:57 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,859,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm sorry but this is an ignorant and stupid post. Christmas is imposed on our country more than any other holliday. I don't see schools closing for Ramadan, Diwali or Yom Kippur...
Actually I've lived in a community with a large Jewish population and they did close the schools for various Jewish holidays. I don't think they were doing it to honor the holiday, but just be practical. If a large number of students are don't going to show up then what is the point in having the school open.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:58 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,199,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
You need to re-evaluate what you're saying. If anyone doesn't have any respect for anything but ME, ME, ME is you Saganista, you're constantly looking down your nose and talking down at people you don't agree with. Didn't your mom ever teach you that if you didn't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?
Whoa...personal attack and only YOU , not another poster, can make YOU feel like you've been talked down to.

Why do YOU consider a differing opinion as "not nice"???

Old 10-08-2009, 01:01 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,414,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Actually I've lived in a community with a large Jewish population and they did close the schools for various Jewish holidays. I don't think they were doing it to honor the holiday, but just be practical. If a large number of students are don't going to show up then what is the point in having the school open.
We always had Passover (Friday) off but they always called it a teacher work day.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:03 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,199,148 times
Quote:
I didn't say it did; I just said I remember when I was in retail we had to say "Happy Holidays" vs "Merry Christmas"...take the drama down a notch or two.
In Minnesota the correct, loving, warm, christian greeting is :

MerryChristmasHow'BoutDemVikings!

Old 10-08-2009, 01:03 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,354,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
A. It isn't what other religions think, although they have as much right to think and say things as any christian It's about keeping religious symbols OUT AND OFF public property.

B. No, Christmas has NOT been part of this country since the beginning.
I think that an explanation of the B. part of your post may be necessary since you seemed rather adamant. Could you please explain what you meant?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
LOl I certainly didn't care but then I remember it was on the news because Wal-mart (I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it was Wal-mart) was still saying "Merry Christmas" and people started complaining about it...of all the things to worry about during the holiday season especially since 9 out ot 10 people didn't acknowledge you when you greeted them anyway

FOXNews.com - Grrr! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment
This issue really is about culture. If you are in NYC or LA, no one cares if you say Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays. For the most part, most people are agnostic in beliefs regardless if they are technically Catholic, Jewish, Hindu etc.

In the South, however, the Evangelicals do celebrate Christmas as a serious Christian holiday and very much would take offense if they are told they can't say Merry Christmas. It's kind of interesting. I don't know if you've ever spent time in places like Oklahoma and Texas but it's almost like being in a different country.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:04 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,186,309 times
Customer service people are taught to say "Happy Holidays" in order to be INCLUSIVE of all...it's called MANNERS.
Manners tells you to honor your guests' preferences over your own. To make others feel comfortable rather than yourself.
I think Jesus' important lessons boil down to manners most of the time...and it seems that most people that get up in arms about religion have forgotten theirs.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:08 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,414,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This issue really is about culture. If you are in NYC or LA, no one cares if you say Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays. For the most part, most people are agnostic in beliefs regardless if they are technically Catholic, Jewish, Hindu etc.

In the South, however, the Evangelicals do celebrate Christmas as a serious Christian holiday and very much would take offense if they are told they can't say Merry Christmas. It's kind of interesting. I don't know if you've ever spent time in places like Oklahoma and Texas but it's almost like being in a different country.
Yeah visited my brother in Murphy last year...people lined up an 90 minutes early to get good seats at a high school football game yep whole nother country

Old 10-08-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
That's nice but it's not a generally done or accepted practice. In many New York area schools with a large predominant Jewish population, their schools are not shut down for various Jewish holidays regardless if a large number of Jews decided to skip school. Students are excused for missing that day but the school session isn't shut down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies