Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 01:43 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,850,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I already acknowledged you got days off. Did your school shut down though?
I'm gathering they did close this year for Rosh Hashanah because of when it occurred.

The following is a link to a 2005 document, showing that in 2005 the schools where closed for 2 day.
http://www.whiteplainspublicschools.org/411299121015313/lib/411299121015313/About_Our_Schools_Fall_05.pdf (broken link)

From 2005 publication.
October 4-5: Schools Closed - Rosh Hashanah

I don't think this is the school district taking a stance on religion as being practical about attendance for those days. I think the same is true for "Winter Recess" . You could keep the schools open over Christmas, but how many students would be present.

Obviously the tougher call is for a student from a minority (within the community) religion. I think the public schools should make practical accommodations for those students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 01:43 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,575,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How many of my freedoms have been dealt with by the PC people in government. Some of them have been violated by attempts to take Christ out of Christmas. I can't see any reason to give gifts on mas day
Please don't be so exagerrated. None of your precious freedoms have been violated OR taken away. You say there was an "attempt" to take christ out of christmas. Was it successful? Is there no more christmas? No, you're free to buy all the gifts you want, pray, talk about jesus, whatever when christmas rolls around.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:44 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
Quote:
I think that an explanation of the B. part of your post may be necessary since you seemed rather adamant. Could you please explain what you meant?
Christmas History in America

From the link:

"""""The pilgrims, English separatists that came to America in 1620, were even more orthodox in their Puritan beliefs than Cromwell. As a result, Christmas was not a holiday in early America. From 1659 to 1681, the celebration of Christmas was actually outlawed in Boston. Anyone exhibiting the Christmas spirit was fined five shillings. By contrast, in the Jamestown settlement, Captain John Smith reported that Christmas was enjoyed by all and passed without incident.
After the American Revolution, English customs fell out of favor, including Christmas. In fact, Congress was in session on December 25, 1789, the first Christmas under America’s new constitution. Christmas wasn’t declared a federal holiday until June 26, 1870. """

Now, I don't have a link but I don't think the Native Americans had Christmas in any form.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:45 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,850,178 times
Quote:
Just think, a colony that was originally established for religious freedom, at least from a king that was punishing those people. Even within 40 years they were already getting anti-Christian.
Massachusetts at that point was being run as a Christian Theocracy. I don't know where you get the anti-Christian part from.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:46 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,297,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Well maybe its changed since the late 60s early 70s, but I went to White Plains High School in NY and I recall getting days off. Some of my classes would have only had one or two kids in them if they had kept the school open.
I guess many people don't understand how different northern New York is from NYC. That part of the state is very different. White Plains is pretty close to the city but not a part of it, at all.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:52 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,145,255 times
Since traditionally there are twelve days of Christams (the song says so anyway) after the gifts are purchased and opened, you hardly hear any mention of it for the next eleven days. The only coverage is on TV about the long return lines at the stores. Interesting.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 10-08-2009 at 02:05 PM..

Old 10-08-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Please don't be so exagerrated. None of your precious freedoms have been violated OR taken away. You say there was an "attempt" to take christ out of christmas. Was it successful? Is there no more christmas? No, you're free to buy all the gifts you want, pray, talk about jesus, whatever when christmas rolls around.
You didn't see William mention Winter Recess. All kinds of names for that period of school time off, but no mention of Christmas any more. In the area I live in the only non-Christians are atheists and agnostics of one kind or another. Why can't out school call that period Christmas Holiday like we did when I taught in the schools here? Well that was 23 years ago and there has been a lot of PC crap installed since that time.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Christmas History in America

From the link:

"""""The pilgrims, English separatists that came to America in 1620, were even more orthodox in their Puritan beliefs than Cromwell. As a result, Christmas was not a holiday in early America. From 1659 to 1681, the celebration of Christmas was actually outlawed in Boston. Anyone exhibiting the Christmas spirit was fined five shillings. By contrast, in the Jamestown settlement, Captain John Smith reported that Christmas was enjoyed by all and passed without incident.
After the American Revolution, English customs fell out of favor, including Christmas. In fact, Congress was in session on December 25, 1789, the first Christmas under America’s new constitution. Christmas wasn’t declared a federal holiday until June 26, 1870. """

Now, I don't have a link but I don't think the Native Americans had Christmas in any form.
Which colony was established first, Jamestown or Plymouth Rock?

I hardly think that the people of that day had a lot of time to celebrate since it was very hard to survive, however I don't think that the Indians had a whole lot to do with that Congressional declaration either.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:58 PM

22,196 posts, read 19,481,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Exactly. O'Reilly was actually proven right, which is the opposite of being a liar!
He lied about some school play of some sort in Wisconsin

Old 10-08-2009, 01:58 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispanola View Post
Please post all anti-Christmas conduct and hate on this thread.

It's starting:

Why can't non-Christians just let the Christians have their holiday in peace? Why do so many people have hate? Does anyone make demands of Jews on Yom Kippur? Muslims on Ramadan?

Memo to bigots: Let us celebrate our holiday. Christmas involves Jesus Christ by definition.
Oh man, it isn't even Halloween yet. Then we have Thanksgiving. I'm with you all the way on the issue but I'm still wearing short sleeved shirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies