Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 07:23 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Not as easy as you think
That's the rest of the headline.

Quote:
WASHINGTON – Read the bill! It was a rallying cry at angry health care town halls this summer and has evolved into something of a political movement. Many Americans are demanding that lawmakers actually read the comprehensive legislation they've written — or at least make it publicly available — before voting on it.

The push for transparency has become a running side debate in Congress, with lawmakers — often minority Republicans, but some Democrats too — pressing leaders to post measures online for 72 hours before a vote.

"I don't think the American people can be left in the dark," House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, said this week.
But they WILL be left in the dark if the Dems have anything to do with it.

So we heard from John Conyers a couple weeks ago, that he doesn't have time to read the darn thing, that's why he has peons and lawyers working for him. Excuse me? Who wrote the damned bill in the first place? Someone in the Dem party, right? Well, Sherlock, if one party is going to push, push, push a bill, I'd suggest the same party know what the hell is in it, and not leave it to peons and lawyers. I'm sure y'all on the left, on obama's side will say, "But, DP, why are YOU worried about what WE do?" I'll tell you why, you numbskulls, you're dicking with everyone's liberties, freedoms, and choices for years to come, that's why. Are the dems that damned blind, or naive?

Read the health bill! Not as easy as you think - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091009/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_plain_english_6 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 07:32 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post

So we heard from John Conyers a couple weeks ago, that he doesn't have time to read the darn thing, that's why he has peons and lawyers working for him. Excuse me? Who wrote the damned bill in the first place? Someone in the Dem party, right? Well, Sherlock, if one party is going to push, push, push a bill, I'd suggest the same party know what the hell is in it, and not leave it to peons and lawyers. I'm sure y'all on the left, on obama's side will say, "But, DP, why are YOU worried about what WE do?" I'll tell you why, you numbskulls, you're dicking with everyone's liberties, freedoms, and choices for years to come, that's why. Are the dems that damned blind, or naive?

Read the health bill! Not as easy as you think - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091009/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_plain_english_6 - broken link)

The congress is going to pass a health care plan:

Written by a committee whose head says he doesn't understand it,
passed by a Congress that hasn't read it, but exempts themselves from it,
signed by a president that also hasn't read it, and who smokes,
with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes,
overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and
financed by a country that's nearly broke.

What could be so wrong with a Health Care bill if we have these people taking care of it.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:44 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post

What could be so wrong with a Health Care bill if we have these people taking care of it.
Awesome, can I quote you on this statement?

Old 10-10-2009, 07:46 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,129 times
Quote:

PRICELESS!! I wish I had said that!

Old 10-10-2009, 07:58 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
1. Which health care bill are you talking about?

If we assume that the bill that is getting the most press right now - the Baucus bill - is the one this thread is about, then

2. Which version are you talking about?

There's the original Sept. 22nd bill posted online. There's the revised bill with a bunch of amendments, but I haven't been able to find it online - do you have a link?

If approved by the full Senate, the Baucus bill would likely be different than that coming out of the Senate Finance Committee, but since it doesn't exist yet, we can't read it yet, can we?

Then the House will vote on a final version of ... something. There's HR 3200, and it's available online, but will likely be changed when the full House votes on it ... another can't-read-yet bill.

Then there's whatever merged version of the House/Senate health care bill comes out of the conference committee ... yet another can't-read-yet bill.

So while it's easy to say "read the bill!", it's not so easy to actually do so. And as the Yahoo article says:
How long would it actually take to read the bill? A group of voice actors got through the House legislation in about 24 hours; the plain-English version of Baucus' bill took a bit over half that time.
Oh, and the final bill? It won't be in easy-to-read, plain-English.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:00 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Awesome, can I quote you on this statement?
This thing has been making the Internet rounds since sometime in August ... so I think it's safe to say that you can use it.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:23 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:

They haven't read a bill in 50 years, why would they start now

Old 10-10-2009, 08:31 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:

And pushed by the loon in the WH who says he has not read it either.

Any part of any bill, ObamAcorn still has not taken the time to read it, but yet wants it passed.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:38 PM

294 posts, read 412,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
They haven't read a bill in 50 years, why would they start now
isn't that the truth, post of the day

Old 10-10-2009, 09:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
That is just the markup that came out of the finance commitee;its got a ways to go really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies