Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:18 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Hospital visits do not go up because individuals are unemployed.
People without health insurance generally see a doctor less often. When fewer people are receiving medical care of any kind (not just hospitalizations), the GDP goes down. Therefore, we can increase our GDP just by facilitating healthcare for all of our citizens. Do you like that idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 08:18 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I know two people who used to talk this way.............until they lost their job, health insurance, and now fear losing their home too.

And will you help them by sending them half your pay check since you want to pay for their problems?

It's called savings, they should have put back 6 months living expenses in the first place.

So what are we suppose to do, bailout everyone?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:20 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
How much of your salary are you willing to pay for the public option?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
They didnt save enough to pay for their medical care while they were unemployed? I'm supposed to feel sorry for them for not planning the realities of life, which include sickness, loss of job, family members etc..
How much should one have saved? How many months worth of expenses?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Sorry, but as a person who knows financing and credit very well, I can tell you that most bankruptcies are caused by people who buried themselves into debt, over charged their credit cards and took out fake equity lines on their homes.

Nice try but trying to put medical Bk's into this discussion is just an excuse for losers who was going to file BK anyway.
Agreed, the medical issue may have caused many americans to stop paying their bills, thereby needing to file for bankruptcy protection, but one would have to be extremely stupid to file bankruptcy over a "medical bill"..

I'm still waiting for examples of people who are losing their homes over medical bills. Google must be hard at work..

Hint, stop looking people, they file bankrutpcy because they cant pay their OTHER bills due to them getting sick, no one has had a home foreclosed because a hospital has foreclosed upn their home.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:22 PM

436 posts, read 874,412 times
Quote:
Ahh, you get your news source from a CNN blog.. that explains a lot..
I gauge my judgment as a former attending surgeon and by phd degree from tier one school in this country. I heard this news from radio station right next to ESPN, not CNN. I just use your best friend, google, to dig it out as a supporting document.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:23 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Agreed, the medical issue may have caused many americans to stop paying their bills, thereby needing to file for bankruptcy protection, but one would have to be extremely stupid to file bankruptcy over a "medical bill"..

I'm still waiting for examples of people who are losing their homes over medical bills. Google must be hard at work..

Hint, stop looking people, they file bankrutpcy because they cant pay their OTHER bills due to them getting sick, no one has had a home foreclosed because a hospital has foreclosed upn their home.
What many people who do not understand is that medical bills are not the real reason people are filing for BK.

The real reason is they buried themselves and when a medical issues arrives they take the easy way out and blame those expenses for their failures.

You would be stupid to file BK because of medical bills.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
People without health insurance generally see a doctor less often. When fewer people are receiving medical care of any kind (not just hospitalizations), the GDP goes down. Therefore, we can increase our GDP just by facilitating healthcare for all of our citizens. Do you like that idea?
Um, so you want to pull us out of the recession by a national healthcare, while ignoring the fact that this will be $1Trillion removed from the GDP for OTHER THINGS. haha, thats a good excuse.

I might go tomorrow to get medicine for the flu I have, just doing my part to help the GDP, but wait, I guess I wont be able to buy that new tv. haha

Old 10-12-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
How much should one have saved? How many months worth of expenses?
EVERYONE should have a minimum of 6 months to 1 year of expenses saved up. And when things get this tight, you spend less and it lasts longer..

Old 10-12-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Sorry, but as a person who knows financing and credit very well, I can tell you that most bankruptcies are caused by people who buried themselves into debt, over charged their credit cards and took out fake equity lines on their homes.

Nice try but trying to put medical Bk's into this discussion is just an excuse for losers who was going to file BK anyway.
Do you know something these Harvard researchers don't?

Quote:
Illness and medical bills caused half of the 1,458,000 personal bankruptcies in 2001, according to a study published by the journal Health Affairs.
Surprisingly, most of those bankrupted by illness had health insurance. More than three-quarters were insured at the start of the bankrupting illness. However, 38 percent had lost coverage at least temporarily by the time they filed for bankruptcy

Read more: Medical Bills Leading Cause of Bankruptcy, Harvard Study Finds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies