Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 08:08 AM

272 posts, read 216,034 times

Advertisements

The problem with studies like this is there are no controls. To Assume that the reason these guys came to the rescue is because they are minorities is just that, an assumtion. I didnt see a group of 3 white punks walk by so we dont know how they may have responded.

I think they helped because they were young, in a group of 3 and oblivious to the dangers of poking there nose in someone elses business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 08:41 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
Smart people with common sense
Do not make comments like this

Quote:
who look down on certain races as racist or bigots. But in my opinion alot of it is human nature, uncontrollable.

In society we do see an inordinate amount of African Americans on tv regarding drug related arrest, violent crimes like armed robbery, gang murders, etc...
How can you not absorb what you see on tv and many times in every day life and not have that negatively affect or feeling towards an entire race.

For example I sell items on Craiglist and eBay all the time. And I haven't noticed this but my friend did. That when I have a buyer who sounds black on the phone, I will meet that person at a populated area during the day.
But if its a white person I have many times had the person come by my house and try the product in my home, sitting on my couch and everything.
Even once a young white couple gave me a check for a TV I was selling (close to $1000). My friend said YOU ACCEPTED A FRICKING CHECK R U CRAZY! And I said "what? They were white!"

Again I am African American and all this sounds bad but it's only a product of the pitfalls I have seen and continue to see (recent Chicago Beating comes for example) in my black communities and thoughout the U.S.

This video though forcing me to look in the mirror and realize that sterotypes, even ones that I practice everyday; can be turned right on it's head.
But oh well.

The video was nice to see - I saw something like on 60 minutes once before - it had to do with Iphones or Ipods or something and people were surprised that one of the few people who turned it in to lost & found was a black teenager.

It's scary to see that so many people walked by and did nothing...I guess if you want to kidnap a kid in broad daylight all you have to do is yell at them like you're their parent and people will leave you alone

Old 10-17-2009, 09:08 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Hey Rush, THIS is what happens in "Obama's America"
Actually this video was done several years ago while Bush was president.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:43 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,644,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagey cretin View Post
The problem with studies like this is there are no controls. To Assume that the reason these guys came to the rescue is because they are minorities is just that, an assumtion. I didnt see a group of 3 white punks walk by so we dont know how they may have responded.

I think they helped because they were young, in a group of 3 and oblivious to the dangers of poking there nose in someone elses business.
Why would you compare those young men to 'punks'? They were neatly dressed and in no way came across as 'punks', 'thugs', or anything remotely 'sketchy'.

Well, I suppose they were black, so theres that.......

Old 10-17-2009, 09:48 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
why would you compare those young men to 'punks'? They were neatly dressed and in no way came across as 'punks', 'thugs', or anything remotely 'sketchy'.

Well, i suppose they were black, so theres that.......
lol :d

Old 10-17-2009, 09:57 AM

450 posts, read 503,179 times
Quote:
Why would you compare those young men to 'punks'? They were neatly dressed and in no way came across as 'punks', 'thugs', or anything remotely 'sketchy'.

Good point! lol!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:

maybe one made such an assumption because they appeared like they were going to just punch the lights out of someone first, then ask questions later.

The guy could have been the girls step dad, her uncle, her teacher..

Bravo for stepping in, but I would have been more than likely to step asside, call the police, and follow the man so the police knew where to find him but thats more than likely because I tend to not travel in groups. Punching a man without knowing whats going on? yeah, that might be a definition of a "punk"
Quote:
Good point! lol!
Its rather pathetic to assume another poster is racist for not making any racist comments..

Old 10-17-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagey cretin View Post

You're over analyzing it Cage, no one ASSUMES that they came to the rescue BECAUSE they were black. The study/video showed us briefly that young blacks can be heroes, caring and helping ppl as well.

If someone would have polled me before watching the video, I would've said the blacks would not have helped or cared and whites would be the first to jump up to help the young girl....

And to that point is where the video hits ppl

Old 10-17-2009, 10:06 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
You're over analyzing it Cage, no one ASSUMES that they came to the rescue BECAUSE they were black. The study/video showed us briefly that young blacks can be heroes, caring and helping ppl as well.
Was that ever in doubt?
Quote:
If someone would have polled me before watching the video, I would've said the blacks would not have helped or cared and whites would be the first to jump up to help the young girl....
Then I say that says more about you than the individuals who walked past.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
maybe one made such an assumption because they appeared like they were going to just punch the lights out of someone first, then ask questions later.

The guy could have been the girls step dad, her uncle, her teacher..

Bravo for stepping in, but I would have been more than likely to step asside, call the police, and follow the man so the police knew where to find him but thats more than likely because I tend to not travel in groups. Punching a man without knowing whats going on? yeah, that might be a definition of a "punk"

Its rather pathetic to assume another poster is racist for not making any racist comments..
PGH C'mon bro, where has anyone insinuated that poster was racist because he called them punks? You trying to defend a charge no one stated.
I just thought it was funny that he would describe them that way.
He could believe every black guy in america is a punk and I wouldn't call him a racist
PPL in America (esp Blacks) need to realize the difference between racial stereotypes (or racial insensitive comments) and someone who is actually Racist (who I define as someone whom HATES a race for whatever reason)

Ive seen plenty of White ladies clutch their purses in the elevators when I'm on with them alone (many have heard points like this)
And I dont think or assume any one of them were "Racist"
Matter of fact they are smart, They have a fear of blacks (in certain situations)

Sh*t I do too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies