Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 01:13 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
First of all, the Esteves are barely Hispanic and when Charlie Sheen is cast, he is not thought of as a Hispanic. Antonio Banderas is from Spain not Mexico. Ricky Martin and Enrqiue are singers not actors. Compare them to the sheer number of Hispanic actresses and it's not even close.

Who is a "true hispanic" (obviously, "SPANISH" isn't good enough) actress in the media?

Quite frankly, many Hispanics aren't not "visible" (as in, stereotypical Mexican or Puerto Rican), so many may very well be "Hispanic" but you just don't know. Cameron Diaz, for example, whitest actress out there besides probably Jodie Foster, is Hispanic, yet she isn't a "visible" Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 01:35 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
First of all, the Esteves are barely Hispanic and when Charlie Sheen is cast, he is not thought of as a Hispanic. Antonio Banderas is from Spain not Mexico. Ricky Martin and Enrqiue are singers not actors. Compare them to the sheer number of Hispanic actresses and it's not even close.
What about Desi Arnez?

Old 10-19-2009, 01:35 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Who is a "true hispanic" (obviously, "SPANISH" isn't good enough) actress in the media?

Quite frankly, many Hispanics aren't not "visible" (as in, stereotypical Mexican or Puerto Rican), so many may very well be "Hispanic" but you just don't know. Cameron Diaz, for example, whitest actress out there besides probably Jodie Foster, is Hispanic, yet she isn't a "visible" Hispanic.
That's the thing. In many cases people don't know unless you have an accent.

Look at George Clooney. He looks Latin, but he is not. The botton line is that Latinos (with Spanish/Portugese ancenstors) are caucasian, and so is everyone whose bloodlines can be traced back to Europe, North Africa, West Asia, South Asia and parts of Central Asia.

Doug Flutie, and NFL Quarterback is an Arab. Who knew? No one. Why? Because he didn't have an accent, and because he played American football.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:42 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
There are numerous whites in Cuba. And there are numerous people who say they are white but who are not.
There ya go. That's the issue. Many who are not, but claim to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
1.But if they are not white, then what are they? "Latino" is not a race. "Hispanic" is not a race, so what race are they?

2. That is the question I was asking before, and I was asking if a white/latin couple is interracial, or if black/latin couple is interracial.

3.It's out of the bag already. 10% of Cubans are black, 25% mulatto, and the rest are white.

4. When you say 'cat out of the bag' it sounds like it should be some kind of secret that there are blacks in Cuba.

5. To you 'white' means northern European. Funny because northern Europeans don't consider Iralians, Spanish. Portugese and Greeck white either.
1. You're right. It is not a race, but to call most Cubans white is crazy. I think it's something they mentally visualize, but the reality is they're all not.

2. It is still considered interracial when whites and latins do it, but less taboo. You and others are right. There is less of an issue with latin actors being in love scenes with both blacks and whites. No one made an issue of Eva Mendez and Will Smith in "Hitch", no one made an issue of Denzel Washington with Eva Mendes in "Out of Time" (and to add to that, Denzel did not object having a love scene with Eva Mendes. If she was considered white, he may have objected like he did Julia Roberts). No one made an issue of Rosario Dawson and Ed Norton in "25th Hour", or Jennifer Lopez and Mathew McConaughey in "The Wedding Planner". It's easier for the Latin ladies on both ends.

Oh, one more thing. No one made an issue in that recent movie from Tyler Perry with the latin Actor, and the Black Actress. (Taraji Henson and Adam Rodriguez). It's less viewed as interracial, than say a white actor and a black actor, or latin actor and white actor. (I think people are comforted knowing Latins as a whole, not all are not 100% white..so less issues imho from all sides).

3. I'm not sure about those stats. The same way I don't trust Census reports 100%. I'm biracial and multi cultural. I can answer anything I want on these reports, and I know many Cubans do too. See my point . I'm not sure to trust any reports from the CIA either, so those stats don't mean anything to me and many people.

4. You got my point. There are many here that will go far to deny that. Some are open about having African ancestry/blood, while others who will only pass as mulatto will flat out deny it.

5. You're right. Many don't consider them white. Your definition of white in my opinion, seems a bit loose, (maybe to include many non-whites as whites, i.e. many Cubans that are mixed but in denial). I had an Iranian co-worker in NYC that did not believe he and Iranians as a whole are white.

Quote:
I have asked several times if white/Latin couple in film would be considered interracial, but no responses. I remember one in Spanglish.
I answered above. It is interracial, but less taboo. Look at the movie "Fools rush in". If Salma Hayek was considered white in the movie, don't you think Mathew Perry's parents would have reacted differently when they met her? Of course, it's in the movie, but it's a point that yes, it is considered interracial when a white/latin are on the screen (even in the movie itself). The idea that most latins are whites, even though some are, is still not Kosher with a majority of non Latins. It's a fact.

Quote:
How about Adam Sandlers and Paz Vega? Adam Sandlers could pass for a Latino. He is Jewish, of course.
Most people don't think so. That's a very small percentage, then. Maybe in South Florida, but elsewhere I doubt it.

Now, Mario Lopez, Michael Delorenzo and Adam Rodriguez, yes (And they are ).

I don't know...Miami is a whole different world, and perception there is just different. Anywhere north of it, seemingly reality sets in. Something about the water there....

Old 10-19-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Most people don't think so. That's a very small percentage, then. Maybe in South Florida, but elsewhere I doubt it.
How do you know what most people think? If you put Sandler in a line up in Argentinian soccer team, he wouldn't look any different form the other guys. Same with Clooney.

PS Place of someones residence has nothing to do with it.

Sandler looks like a South American soccer fan. Period.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:58 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
How do you know what most people think? If you put Sandler in a line up in Argentinian soccer team, he wouldn't look any different form the other guys. Same with Clooney.

That's just your opinion, and the fact that you live in South Florida (you see more latin diversity, not as much, in the rest of the US). Ask someone from Minnesota or Wisconsin the same question.

And no, I still don't see it. Even when I squint.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:

In the end, it's a personal perception thing.

MisterNY lives somewhere where the majority of Latinos are Puerto Rican... NY Puerto Ricans are on average very mixed.

Most other Americans live in places where their biggest interaction with "Hispanics" are Mexicans.... not just any Mexicans, but the poor, brown ones that are often not "Hispanic" at all, but almost pure indigenous blooded. To them, there is no way a white person can have a last name like Martinez!

You and I are familiar with South Florida. We know lots of Cubans, Venezuelans, Colombians, etc.... often political refugees from the ruling classes in South America, who are indistinguishable from any dark haired European -- French, Italians, Spaniards, Portuguese, etc. We know Argentinians with blue eyes, and Uruguayans with blonde hair. We also know that Brazilians are not all cocoa colored. I guess our Latin Americans are more diverse down here than other parts of the country, where "Mexican" is synonymous with "Hispanic."

Old 10-19-2009, 02:05 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:

Exclamation point

Old 10-19-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
That's just your opinion, and the fact that you live in South Florida (you see more latin diversity, not as much, in the rest of the US). Ask someone from Minnesota or Wisconsin the same question.

And no, I still don't see it. Even when I squint.
So, you seriously think people in South Florida think Sandler looks Latin, but in other parts of US they don't??? Do you realize that majority of South Floridians are from all over the US? I have lived in Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Conneticut, Europe and Africa, so I don't think I need to ask opinions of people from elsewhere.

Sandler could be Sergio Garcias older brother

Old 10-19-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
So, you seriously think people in South Florida think Sandler looks Latin, but in other parts of US they don't??? Do you realize that majority of South Floridians are from all over the US? I have lived in Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Conneticut, Europe and Africa, so I don't think I need to ask opinions of people from elsewhere.

Sandler could be Sergio Garcias older brother

He'd be considered a cracker anywhere in the US EXCEPT S. Florida, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies