Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 11:58 AM

53 posts, read 125,577 times

Advertisements

Ok, so now we know. It was a hoax and a bad one at that. Beyond stupid. It freaked out all of America and involved the media, military, helicopters, law enforcement at various levels and so on.

Their parents are facing two felonies and a misdemeanor and likely Federal Charges too. If convicted they could do 10 years and be fined over $1 million and this excludes any restitution and or Federal charges.

Of course they are not likely to get the full penalties here, but my guess is the father will get 2-3 years in prison, serve 14-18 months and have to pay $80,000-$100,000 in fines and restitution, as will the mother too. They will also likely loose custody of their children. I doubt they contemplated this when they devised this really stupid plan.

So, based on the above, do you think this is fair, or are officials making an unfair example of them based solely on the media attention here? I'm inclined to think, had the media not caught onto this story (something they wanted) this family would face a few fines and misdemeanors, 30 days in jail and their lives would go on. But due to the exposure, (the family sought) they are going to loose it all and do hard time.

Do you think this is fair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 12:05 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
Colorado sheriff: Runaway balloon saga was hoax (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/10/17/national/a220149D29.DTL&tsp=1 - broken link)

I hope the "contributing to the deliquency of a minor" is seriously considered.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:09 PM

53 posts, read 125,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Colorado sheriff: Runaway balloon saga was hoax (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/10/17/national/a220149D29.DTL&tsp=1 - broken link)

I hope the "contributing to the deliquency of a minor" is seriously considered.
I think more appropriate charges there would have been exploitation of a minor. Also a felony.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:18 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,384 times
More than fair. What's unfair is when something is not widely reported and the fools seem to walk away with any repercussions.

I noticed a couple of things when the family video was released. First, I did not see anything trailing behind the balloon, so it was apparent the kid wasn't there.Second, if the child had crawled inside the silver balloon itself, it would have allowed a lot of the helium to escape, therefore the balloon would deflate. Also if the child crawled inside the silver balloon, he'd be breathing more helium than oxygen which would be immediately life threatening.

Also on the family video, the father was kicking the ground and cursing when the balloon went off.This is VERY immature behavior on this part. Something that a kid would do, not a grown man.

Yes, the parents do need some jail time/fines here. They need a dose of what it feels like when reality "bites" you, and not some dumb reality show. The children need a far more structured environment that is SAFE. (Chasing tornadoes, not a safe family activity. Again, thinking so, is immature behavior.)

If the parents want custody of the children after they have served their jail time, they must clearly demonstrate that they are now grown ups. The father needs to be a grown up, and the mother needs to speak up when something appears to be wrong. This will require a considerable amount of work and family counseling. If they can't do it, or won't do it, no custody, no visitation, and termination of parental rights, mainly because the parents are unwillling to show parental responsibility.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:21 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latergator2008 View Post
Ok, so now we know. It was a hoax and a bad one at that. Beyond stupid. It freaked out all of America and involved the media, military, helicopters, law enforcement at various levels and so on.

Their parents are facing two felonies and a misdemeanor and likely Federal Charges too. If convicted they could do 10 years and be fined over $1 million and this excludes any restitution and or Federal charges.

Of course they are not likely to get the full penalties here, but my guess is the father will get 2-3 years in prison, serve 14-18 months and have to pay $80,000-$100,000 in fines and restitution, as will the mother too. They will also likely loose custody of their children. I doubt they contemplated this when they devised this really stupid plan.

So, based on the above, do you think this is fair, or are officials making an unfair example of them based solely on the media attention here? I'm inclined to think, had the media not caught onto this story (something they wanted) this family would face a few fines and misdemeanors, 30 days in jail and their lives would go on. But due to the exposure, (the family sought) they are going to loose it all and do hard time.

Do you think this is fair?
I can't really say what is and isn't fair in this weird account.

But you bring up a good point about the media. They went ape-nuts over this. Live footage on every single major network.

I guess that's part of what happens when you have all these 24-hour per day "news" channels. They're insanely competitive, even if it involves reporting stupidity, or just plain making stuff up.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:24 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
These parents dearly need a psychology test - they are both nutso. Any guess what the kids will be like when they grow up?

Old 10-18-2009, 12:35 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the balloon was too small to support a kid and float to 7,000 feet (on its side, no less). The lack of understanding of basic physics in this country is appalling. The desire for fame is appalling. The media is appalling. The over-reaction of police and rescue outfits is only a little less appalling. Everything sounds normal to me.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:56 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the balloon was too small to support a kid and float to 7,000 feet (on its side, no less). The lack of understanding of basic physics in this country is appalling. The desire for fame is appalling. The media is appalling. The over-reaction of police and rescue outfits is only a little less appalling. Everything sounds normal to me.
Yep, you're right to mention that you sure do not have to be a rocket scientist.

Here you go
assume:
"Balloon shape- ??
Diameter: 20' Height: 5'

If it was a 20' diameter sphere (~x3 the volume)

4/3*pi*r^3 =~4200 cubic ft

1 cubic ft lift capacity ~ .045 lb

Lift capacity 183 lbs
So maybe about 60-70lbs if the thing was full ???"

All I am saying is that we should not make statements we can not back up.

And I am assuming a lot here .....

Last edited by irman; 10-18-2009 at 01:05 PM..

Old 10-18-2009, 01:11 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
These parents dearly need a psychology test - they are both nutso. Any guess what the kids will be like when they grow up?
Congressmen.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:25 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
Let us give a thumbs up to the PD there for not getting star struck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies