Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:56 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I'm a child of the 80s-90s. I was born in the wrong era. Give me Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Cream, Pink Floyd any day.

It was only when I was in my 20s that I started to appreciate 90s music. Its very strange.

But yeah, I do fall into the stereotype of not understanding music of those who are younger.
The funny thing is that my 16 yo son likes all these bands as well. He's going through a Beatles thing right now. He also likes the newer heavier music. The local bands in our small town do the growling, moshing stuff. So, it's not dead it's just evolving. Our local stations will never play anything good. We have 3 country stations, 2 light rock, 1 tweeny station, and 3 christian stations. Our kids have to down load and play their own music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 12:58 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
I'm a child of the 80s-90s. I was born in the wrong era. Give me Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Cream, Pink Floyd any day.

It was only when I was in my 20s that I started to appreciate 90s music. Its very strange.

But yeah, I do fall into the stereotype of not understanding music of those who are younger.
I go even further back I have a HUGE vinyl collection, and most of what I have is old swing and instrumental records from the 20s and 30s. I also have a lot of 40s/50s and 60s stuff and some 80s just for fun.

I've never really understood the *new* mainstream music..just seems really angsty and whiny to me. Give me some Briertone and I'm a happy gal

Old 10-22-2009, 01:12 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
I remember when MTV actually had music.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:13 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,441 times
Okay VictorianPunk I think I've figured out the problem. Since the 1950's womens liberation has evolved and emasculated men including the music they like. Then on top of that you get the metrosexuals involved and real men just don't stand a chance.

BTW I am female. I don't like my husbands music, although I do tolerate it....Metalica, Slayer, Megadeth, etc.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:57 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
There's not a lot of incentive for younger people to create their own art when the older generation tells them it's all been done, so they better just appreciate the superiority that THEY created. The kids should put down the Rock Band, tell their geezer parents where to stick it and come up with something really innovative all on their own just for themselves. That whiney stuff sounds more like boring adult contemporary radio fare. It just fuels the parents to mock their kids music when it should be the opposite. Nah, too lazy, let's just bring back the 80s.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:27 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
emasculated men.........bwaaahaaa!!!

That's rich.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:00 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
There's not a lot of incentive for younger people to create their own art when the older generation tells them it's all been done, so they better just appreciate the superiority that THEY created. The kids should put down the Rock Band, tell their geezer parents where to stick it and come up with something really innovative all on their own just for themselves. That whiney stuff sounds more like boring adult contemporary radio fare. It just fuels the parents to mock their kids music when it should be the opposite. Nah, too lazy, let's just bring back the 80s.
That's an interesting point. I can see the value in doing something totally new that's not another form of rock at all. Not sure what that'd be.

I guess one possibility "in the spirit of rock&roll's origin" would be abandon guitars and embrace some ethnic group looked down upon. Maybe have percussion-focused Arab-tinged music or something. Or a Mexican/Punk fusion with big weird displays of Mexican flags everywhere and symbolic Aztec human sacrifices. Now that'd be shocking!

Old 10-22-2009, 07:30 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Music has been sliding terribly throughout much of the 20th century. Here's some real music (played by a student of Liszt himself), several items in the playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...84B3287F2F399D

I can't stand most modern music, bunch of annoying noises to me. Can't compare it to Liszt, Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann...

Old 10-22-2009, 11:57 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:

I'm "younger" and I don't understand some of the music.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:54 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Older music, or film, often looks better because the really boring or awful stuff tends to get forgotten. (Although it may linger in the memory if it was awful in an amusing/campy way like some monster movies) I remember when I really started listening to an oldies station that played '60s music I was surprised to find so many songs I'd never heard before and how so many of them were not that good. "A World Without Love" performed by Peter & Gordon is, for me, one of the most annoying songs I've ever heard. "Sugar Shack" by Keith McCormack was also fairly irritating or at least blahh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies