Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 12:14 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
I am not trying to define justice for you. If you choose to define justice as the involuntary servitude of oppressed people to produce a particular idealized society with particular outcomes, that is your choice. If you feel that justice, or "fairness" comes as a result of initiating force against other who are innocent of any crime, so be it.

I do not equate mandated outcomes which treat individuals differently and unequally as justice and that is my choice too.

Live and let live. (Unless you live differently than how I want you to live, and then I will inflict "justice" upon you through government force ) Gotta' love the enlightenment of tyrants!
Your argument is the direct opposite of "live and let live". And you seem a little old and Dickensian to be an anarchist.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:16 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Your argument is the direct opposite of "live and let live". And you seem a little old and Dickensian to be an anarchist.

Where?

Old 10-24-2009, 12:16 PM

624 posts, read 1,071,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Why a liberal? Easy. Liberals are progressive where Conservatives are regressive. What's so hard about that?
What do you consider 'progress'?

Old 10-24-2009, 12:17 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Why a liberal? Easy. Liberals are progressive where Conservatives are regressive. What's so hard about that?

Lemmings are also progressive.

Progressive isn't necessarily a good thing.

We progressed from an 11 trillion dollar debt to a 13 trillion dollar debt in a matter of months with little to show for it.

So much for progress.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:20 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

Kids

Old 10-24-2009, 12:20 PM

624 posts, read 1,071,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I'm not far left, but I consider myself liberal mainly because I think everyone deserves a "fair go in life" (as they say in Australia). That means that people should be properly equipped to take advantage of the oppportunities that come their way. and to have that "fair go" you need a proper education and affordable healthcare.

I have never met a liberal that opposed those things, but I have met many conservatives that do. Very telling, IMO.
As a liberal, would you support toppling the Iranian regime? Which liberal does that today?

And what's a 'fair go'? Should I not care about my retirement funds, counting on liberals like you to support me?

For some reason, I find that most liberals tend to be very selfish in their practice.

RealClearPolitics - Articles - Conservatives More Liberal Givers

So, I'd answer that more liberals vote for helping the poor than conservatives, but more conservatives actually HELP the poor.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Ditto. Plus, conservatives think they belong in your personal business (gay marriage, abortion, etc.). I'd much rather have the govt. involved in health care and salary caps in bailed out corporations than in my bedroom or my uterus.

Be sure to let me know when government does something to earn this blind faith you have in them.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

Progressive isn't necessarily a good thing.

We progressed from an 11 trillion dollar debt to a 13 trillion dollar debt in a matter of months with little to show for it.

So much for progress.
what is the deadline on results for the stiumuli?

Old 10-24-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
because I believe in a woman's right to choose.

Did YOU read anything you linked? Did the fact that the Frankfurt school started in Germany in 1923 go straight over your head? Do I need to tell you what Germany was like in 1923? My grandparents were living in Germany ...well, they were barely living, they were starving ... please, do yourself a favor and look at the roots of what you are posting before making the common mistake that most right wingers make and taking the past out of context, using today's standards to judge the past.

Why do you think they established this school?

You can't always count on starving peasants to fall in line.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
As a liberal, would you support toppling the Iranian regime? Which liberal does that today?

And what's a 'fair go'? Should I not care about my retirement funds, counting on liberals like you to support me?

For some reason, I find that most liberals tend to be very selfish in their practice.

RealClearPolitics - Articles - Conservatives More Liberal Givers

So, I'd answer that more liberals vote for helping the poor than conservatives, but more conservatives actually HELP the poor.
Yes, the specifics of those surveys always reveal that the biggest givers turn out to be poor people in the poorest states, which are also the reddest. IOW, people who know the meaning of need and want to alleviate it. IOW: liberals at heart.

Not fair-weather tax-deduction typical Republican "givers", by a long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies