Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 11:17 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why would it be a prime spot to monitor? Because of the type of neighborhood? Wouldn't that be racial profiling and so against the rules? They would have to monitor a white suburban school just as much or they should not monitor at all. Or would you?
Not sure why patrolling the areas around a school dance that are dark (where kids could sneak off and smoke, drink, what have you) would be considered racial profiling? That seems like common sense no matter where the school, urban, suburban or otherwise, and regardless of the student population demographics. School events at my suburban high school were always heavily monitored, particularly in areas where students weren't "supposed" to be.

I'm curious why you automatically assumed I meant something to do with race or neighborhood rather than common sense security measures at ANY school's dance??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I don't see what racial profiling has to do with anything.

My high school was in a nice area and our chaperones patrolled the grounds regularly; they also monitored the parked campus parking lots. We called our security guards "resource officers" but it was the same thing.

It's just a safety precaution. All schools should have safety precautions regardless of the racial makeup of the students or the neighborhood.
Exactly the point I thought I had made

Old 11-06-2009, 11:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Not sure why patrolling the areas around a school dance that are dark (where kids could sneak off and smoke, drink, what have you) would be considered racial profiling? That seems like common sense no matter where the school, urban, suburban or otherwise, and regardless of the student population demographics. School events at my suburban high school were always heavily monitored, particularly in areas where students weren't "supposed" to be.

I'm curious why you automatically assumed I meant something to do with race or neighborhood rather than common sense security measures at ANY school's dance??
There aren't the same security measures taken at many schools. This is all after the fact -- Monday morning quarterbacking. If someone would have had the rapists arrested for hanging outside the building BEFORE the rape, you can bet certain groups would be filing lawsuits claiming the boys' rights were infringed or that they were profiled.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:28 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times
Quote:
There aren't the same secrity measures taken at many schools. This is all after the fact -- Monday morning quarterbacking. If someone would have had the rapists arrested for hanging outside the building BEFORE the rape, you can bet certain groups would be filing lawsuits claiming the boys' rights were infringed or that they were profiled.
my point exactly

Old 11-06-2009, 11:31 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
There aren't the same security measures taken at many schools. This is all after the fact -- Monday morning quarterbacking. If someone would have had the rapists arrested for hanging outside the building BEFORE the rape, you can bet certain groups would be filing lawsuits claiming the boys' rights were infringed or that they were profiled.
Why would they have been arrested? Most likely they would have been asked to either go back inside the dance or leave the campus.

What group would defend a 21 year old man hanging around a high school campus after he's been asked to leave by security?

Old 11-06-2009, 11:32 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Why would it be a prime spot to monitor? Because of the type of neighborhood? Wouldn't that be racial profiling and so against the rules? They would have to monitor a white suburban school just as much or they should not monitor at all. Or would you?
Richmond is an area known for crime. Regardless of what the city's demographics is, the school should not have let down their guard of patrolling the area.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Why would someone be arrested for hanging around outside a building? Asked to leave the property, sure. Arrested? Profiled? I guess I just don't fully see where you're coming from. At least when I was in school, you couldn't just hang out unsupervised on school grounds, whether a student or not. No one needs to be arrested to disperse a group, right?

And of course, it's all Monday morning quarterbacking. It's called talking about things that can be done differently in the future in other places to decrease the likelihood of this happening again in the future.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:38 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I guess I just don't fully see where you're coming from. At least when I was in school, you couldn't just hang out unsupervised on school grounds, whether a student or not. No one needs to be arrested to disperse a group, right?
Maybe that's why I don't get it either because my high school had the same policy.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Just curious, but what is your opinion about military service, conscription or non-conscription, as for your position?

I am curious about same with Chatteress and solytaire.

More simply, would you join a gang that interferes with other nations' problems?
While past history would show that that is what happens, it's not the intent of the military. The military should only act in terms of defense, and not be on the offensive, or satisfy the government's (not the people's) geopolitical goals. I don't believe that forcing anyone into the military is a good idea--it should be a choice you willingly take. But--it's really none of my business, so I try not to think about it much.

My business is--my life, in the present tense. What's happening to ME. Acting in my own self-interest. I could care less about the next guy--unless it impacts MY life somehow.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:14 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
To add to the thread: "loitering" is considered a crime too.

I believe that our school said something to the effect of three people grouped together is considered a "riot".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies