Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:42 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Who are "the others"?

I'm guessing this will be the first of many "other" bashing comments that will eventually lead to the thread being shut down - anyone want to bet against me?
Let your imagination run wild or tune into the Maury Povich show when they do the DNA test on potential father #23.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 09:45 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
How does it matter? White women aren't afraid to work. The others just want to stay at home and have babies while collecting welfare and food stamps.
Ouch, someone has a problem with anyone who isn't white.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:47 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Let your imagination run wild or tune into the Maury Povich show when they do the DNA test on potential father #23.
Okay so how bout you answer the question...who are "the others"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Ouch, someone has a problem with anyone who isn't white.
and is too scared to admit it. You know it'd be so refreshing if they would just come out and say what they mean the first time around instead of hinting at it. I mean really...what are you afraid of? We're online

Old 10-28-2009, 09:54 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
LOL I have a handful of poor non-black friends who went to an HBCU on a minority scholarship. I don't know why people always feel the need to attack black people when it comes to AA.

When I started my current job, the people in the position I have now weren't friendly to me - not rude but just not friendly. Then after they got to know me; they warmed up and got so comfortable that they’d make comments about my other black coworkers in front of me. "Oh the meeting starts at 12 but you know she runs on CP time so she'll prob show up at 12:15" and every time they'd do it someone would be quick to say "but not you - you're different". I don’t know how many times they’ve come to me blown away by the fact that I’m capable of speaking in complete sentences. Then when I got promoted they became not friendly again; because I didn’t deserve to be promoted; I hadn’t been here long enough – even though just last week you were talking about what an asset I am and what a good job I’m doing now I only got promoted because I’m black and they needed to fill a number...

so...first you assumed I was going to be a lazy, always late, angry black woman with no professionalism or job skills at all....then when you saw my work ethic you declared I was different and now worthy of your companionship...now that I do the exact same thing you're doing (and doing it so much better) it's not because I'm good at my job but because I'm black and they had a quota to fill....right.

can't win for losing.
That sounds like a very bizarre working enviornment. Let me get this straight...

You start a job and the people there just assume, without knowing a thing about you, that you will be "just like" another (lazy/tardy/angy/unprofessional) coworker - simply because you and that particular coworker are both black. But after a while they grow to admire your ability and work ethic, often praising you for your professionalism while simultaneously expressing their jaw-dropping-amazement that you are so different from that "other person"...

Now these same coworkers resent the heck out of you because you got a promotion that (you suspect) they don't feel you really earned - not enough time on the job/AA/Whatever - even though you are clearly competent (they've said so themselves) and can do the job "so much better" than they do it?

Isn't it also possible that it simply took a little while for some of your more reserved coworkers to warm up to you? And that once they did work with you for a while, they came to respect your ability, work ethic and came to view you as a team player. Maybe your boss noticed all of this about your performance and decided that a promotion was in order.

And now some of your coworkers feel a little bit jealous because the whole promotion process took a bit longer (maybe years longer) for them than it did for you?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:01 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
RNC chairman Michael Steele on affirmative action:

Quote:
*Support affirmative action and its improvements. (Oct 2006)
*Affirmative action programs still necessary to close divides. (Aug 2006)

Michael Steele on the Issues

Last edited by Motion; 10-28-2009 at 10:19 AM..

Old 10-28-2009, 10:09 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
"If Whites Lost Affirmative Action?"

The loss of white affirmative action is what all the screaming is about to begin with.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:18 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Isn't it also possible that it simply took a little while for some of your more reserved coworkers to warm up to you? And that once they did work with you for a while, they came to respect your ability, work ethic and came to view you as a team player. Maybe your boss noticed all of this about your performance and decided that a promotion was in order.

And now some of your coworkers feel a little bit jealous because the whole promotion process took a bit longer (maybe years longer) for them than it did for you?
Sure it's possible but if that were truly the case it shouldn't matter if I was black, white, yellow or neon green. And I'm not suspecting I've actually heard them say it under their breaths; which aggravates me to no end because I can't stand the little playground antics but oh well. All I can do is keep doing my job and get promoted again so they'll really have something to ***** about.

When you first enter an environment you get hit with stereotypes, then when you don't conform to those stereotypes instead of people admitting they were wrong they deem you as "not like ALL the other black people" but then once you get promoted it wasn't because you earned it or deserved it - it's simply because you're black and the world feels they owe you something.

I've dealt with it in school, work, extracurricular activities.

I remember when I was in the Symphonic band and was given a solo another student claimed it was "because I was black" and the band director wanted to look good. I guess the fact that I'd been sitting three chairs ahead of her all year had nothing to do with it

I've learned the best way to deal with it is to act really stupid because the person will never admit what they're thinking.

When someone praises me on how well I talk I give them a confused face and say "What do you mean" and then they say "oh well you know you sound so X,Y,Z" and I say "well how did you expect me to sound"

Welcome to the life of a black person.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:23 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
I don't want white women, nor black males, nor black/white pregnant women, nor ANYONE AT ALL having a preferential law in their favor.

So yes, please repeal them. It is up to the private business to decide who they hire or fire no matter what their reasoning, get the big brother out of the way. They have no right in their doors.
Do you also believe in equal pay for all based on performance and not gender?
Casper

Old 10-28-2009, 10:26 AM

429 posts, read 1,116,740 times
I am "black" and I am against AA. Merit based hiring should be the only hiring, imo.

THAT SAID, i feel it's necessary, because it allows those who were underrepresented and discriminated against but qualified for various positions to get the jobs they deserve. Not just black people either. Anyone who wasn't a white male, essentially.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:29 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
To those who say that people should be hired and promoted based strictly on merit. How exactly do you make that happen? Most people here would agree with this but the real world is a little more complicated because of race and gender related attitudes and perceptions that still exist in the workplace. What's the alternative to affirmative action?

Quote:
NEW YORK - An African American accountant was stunned when a white senior partner at a [then] Big Six accounting firm said that minorities at the firm should take a remedial accounting course upon arrival, according to a study co-authored by a Fordham University professor. Experiences like this one are common for black accountants who say they feel their employers unfairly question their abilities, pass them over for raises and promotions, and make them feel isolated because of their race, according to Professor Patricia A. Williams.

Study Finds Black Accountants Face Job Discrimination
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies