Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 07:05 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times

Advertisements

The real hypocrites are the ones who are making all of these comments on a politician that does not effect the lives of 99.9% of the people who posted here.

The guy was stupid to do what he did, he's been fired....he will never run for public office again, good riddance. The people of SC have moved on, how about everyone else now?

We need to be concerned about what the Federal Gov't is doing, because it effects all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 07:08 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The real hypocrites are the ones who are making all of these comments on a politician that does not effect the lives of 99.9% of the people who posted here.

The guy was stupid to do what he did, he's been fired....he will never run for public office again, good riddance. The people of SC have moved on, how about everyone else now?

We need to be concerned about what the Federal Gov't is doing, because it effects all of us.
Yeah, good point. I may have gone a little far afield from the OP with some of my posts.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:11 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisake View Post
Assistant Attorney General and Former SC House Rep. Roland Corning, a conservative, "family value" guy, was pulled over by a Columbia police officer for suspicion of illegal activity. Corning was parked at a secluded area of a cemetery but made a hasty retreat when he spotted the police officer. The officer radioed other officers in the area to be on the lookout for the vehicle, which was pulled over by another officer a few blocks away. Also in the car was an 18-year-old "gentleman's club" dancer, a sex enhancement drug and some sex toys, which Corning kept in the car "just in case." Corning was let go from his Attorney General job.

State official Roland Corning out of a job after incident - S.C. Politics - The State
Sorry but I just LOVE sex scandals. No matter which party they come from. They are even more fun when they come from a Family Values Republican who believes in denying gay people equal rights and the politician is gay himself. HYSTERICAL !!
Just how deep into the closet and deep into denial do you have to be, to live that kind of life.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:13 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
They do, in the same way I mentioned what my view is on it earlier in the thread. They might not throw the term around since the term has been hijacked to mean pro-life and anti-gay.
I absolutely did not hyjack the "thread".. I'm pointing out the hypocracies of those on the left.

Posters here keep pointing out the man was pro birth control and anti abortion but tell me how that relates to the man having sex with someone? Unless he had done/supported either of these, the man isnt a hypocrit and anyone who claims he is, is one themself.

I just find it funny when some people condem one individual due to his "political" stances and use statements from an unrelated individual to backup their argument. Its almost like you think all "Republicans" are borgs..

Old 10-30-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I absolutely did not hyjack the "thread".. I'm pointing out the hypocracies of those on the left.

Posters here keep pointing out the man was pro birth control and anti abortion but tell me how that relates to the man having sex with someone? Unless he had done/supported either of these, the man isnt a hypocrit and anyone who claims he is, is one themself.

I just find it funny when some people condem one individual due to his "political" stances and use statements from an unrelated individual to backup their argument. Its almost like you think all "Republicans" are borgs..
I agree, and what's interesting is that I can't find anything where this guy said he supported these things that the left here is saying. Sure he was an "R", from SC, so we can assume those things.

Maybe I'm not searching Google hard enough.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:45 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Thanks for answering and haha re: coffee - I'm right there with you.

I agree with each of the items you listed. I suspect when we get into the details of how these values play out, we might have some disagreement on specific political issues, but the underlying values seem to be the same. Which then leads us to - how can we manage to find on common ground on the politics/policies, since there seems to be a ton of common ground in the underlying values.

I really don't think one political party has cornered the market on these values. I do agree you don't hear most Democratic politicians saying the phrase "family values" (see earlier comments on the politicizing of the term), although I think the spirit of these values are alive and well in the Democratic Party as well as the Republican Party (Disclaimer: Take with a BIG grain of salt, because I tend to find all politicians self-serving, self-interested and none too morally or ethically upstanding).
I say we pick out the most important like respecting others with that many other things will fall in line. We talk on here that members of both parties trying practicing this and teaching this and talking to others about respecting each other. We might wont always agree but we should always respect each others. Or we can both become more vocal on family values in general.

I wish I seen it alive and well in the democrat party I might have a bit more hope then I do now. I am very worried about the road this country is walking down when our children are setting each other on fire.

For me this isnt about republican or democrat its about our future and the future of the children of this country.

I agree with the politicans are for themselves we have to address that also. They need to remember who they work for and who pays them and we can fire them. They dont fear us anymore

Old 10-30-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I say we pick out the most important like respecting others with that many other things will fall in line. We talk on here that members of both parties trying practicing this and teaching this and talking to others about respecting each other. We might wont always agree but we should always respect each others. Or we can both become more vocal on family values in general.

I wish I seen it alive and well in the democrat party I might have a bit more hope then I do now. I am very worried about the road this country is walking down when our children are setting each other on fire.

For me this isnt about republican or democrat its about our future and the future of the children of this country.

I agree with the politicans are for themselves we have to address that also. They need to remember who they work for and who pays them and we can fire them. They dont fear us anymore
Fantastic post, thank you Jadex. I agree 100%, there are certain people on the far left and far right that want us to be at each other's throats. Just look at the world's history, all great nations have fallen doing exactly what we are doing now in the US.

This nation is being pulled apart at the seams. Even Pravda and other foreign newspapers can see that.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Fantastic post, thank you Jadex. I agree 100%, there are certain people on the far left and far right that want us to be at each other's throats. Just look at the world's history, all great nations have fallen doing exactly what we are doing now in the US.

This nation is being pulled apart at the seams. Even Pravda and other foreign newspapers can see that.
Of course because if we are fighting each other we arent focused on what they are doing they arent held accountable.

I am done with this focusing republican/ democrat good or bad stuff. We can work together and compromise on all issues that can make us all happy or happy with. We have to be adults and stop this childish name calling right winger, left winger blah blah blah what are we 12

Wrong is wrong
Right is Right

Hold them all to the same standard we might actually make some progress

Oh yeah Thank you

Old 10-30-2009, 08:35 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Thanks for answering and haha re: coffee - I'm right there with you.

I agree with each of the items you listed. I suspect when we get into the details of how these values play out, we might have some disagreement on specific political issues, but the underlying values seem to be the same. Which then leads us to - how can we manage to find on common ground on the politics/policies, since there seems to be a ton of common ground in the underlying values.

I really don't think one political party has cornered the market on these values. I do agree you don't hear most Democratic politicians saying the phrase "family values" (see earlier comments on the politicizing of the term), although I think the spirit of these values are alive and well in the Democratic Party as well as the Republican Party (Disclaimer: Take with a BIG grain of salt, because I tend to find all politicians self-serving, self-interested and none too morally or ethically upstanding).
Jadeex and eastwest, thank you. That is all I was asking for. I agree wholeheartedly that we pretty much do share the same values. We may disagree about how to teach them, but at least we can talk about that once we have a common language. I would want my kids to be seen as caring and kind people. When they were grown up, I would want people to say, "hmm, those are really cool people. They are curious, open-minded, and respectful. They are the kind of people I would want to share a cup of coffee or a beer with. I can imagine them as my neighbors."

If I would have managed to do that, I would consider myself a success as a parent, and I would be both happy and proud. I'm going to rep you both even though we probably disagree about a great deal. You have proven that it is possible to disagree and still have a good conversation.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Jadeex and eastwest, thank you. That is all I was asking for. I agree wholeheartedly that we pretty much do share the same values. We may disagree about how to teach them, but at least we can talk about that once we have a common language. I would want my kids to be seen as caring and kind people. When they were grown up, I would want people to say, "hmm, those are really cool people. They are curious, open-minded, and respectful. They are the kind of people I would want to share a cup of coffee or a beer with. I can imagine them as my neighbors."

If I would have managed to do that, I would consider myself a success as a parent, and I would be both happy and proud. I'm going to rep you both even though we probably disagree about a great deal. You have proven that it is possible to disagree and still have a good conversation.
Exactly and this is a start
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies