Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:44 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

I think you're the one who could use a chill pill.
Irony at it's best! Relax, the "gays" are not trying to make everyone watch "Will and Grace" or drink cosmopolitans. I'm Bi and I like to shoot guns, I was in varsity sports, I like computers, I play video games, I drink beer, I hate shopping, and I like both men and women.

My sexuality, however, doesn't define me. Neither does my race, my lack of religion, or my politics. These things are only little parts of the whole. In the grand scheme of things, sexuality and race are the two things that define me least. Many bi, gay, and straight people feel the same way.

What people want is tolerance. The ability for sexuality to NOT define them. The gay community wants to be looked at as just people. Nothing more, nothing less.

This issue is not about sexuality or gender identity. You made it such. You decided that articles of clothing should define sexuality and gender. That cotton, polyester, and nylon will determine who you identity as. This is absurd. It's simply a high school spirit week. Nothing more. I was in high school gov't. back in the day. Nobody had an agenda to promote except either, getting a scholarship, getting laid, or both. It was funny seeing people dress up ridiculously. That's all.

I feel that tolerance is needed from you in excepting other people. However, tolerance doesn't mean that you or your children must act in this manner. Being this worked up concerning a high school spirit week promoted by a bunch of student government geeks is really not healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 02:45 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
50 years ago, nobody would have thought twice about this. These days, its agenda based and political driven.
There are a lot of people who feel very threatened by their own sexuality and the sexuality of others. Fifty years ago, almost no one talked about sexuality in public, but we're much more aware of the subject today, and so those who have a problem with it are much more likely to stand out and speak up. I hope for their sake that they're able to get past their problems. Talking with a psychologist or reading some books about human sexuality might be a good start for them.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:48 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
There are a lot of people who feel very threatened by their own sexuality and the sexuality of others. Fifty years ago, almost no one talked about sexuality in public, but we're much more aware of the subject today, and so those who have a problem with it are much more likely to stand out and speak up. I hope for their sake that they're able to get past their problems. Talking with a psychologist or reading some books about human sexuality might be a good start for them.
Why do you think that sexuality should be discussed in public?

Old 10-28-2009, 02:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Why do you think that sexuality should be discussed in public?
I'm not saying it "should" be discussed in public, but I don't think it should be taboo for people to talk about it if they want to. If you're uncomfortable with it, you can always disassociate yourself from those who aren't.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:51 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Irony at it's best! Relax, the "gays" are not trying to make everyone watch "Will and Grace" or drink cosmopolitans. I'm Bi and I like to shoot guns, I was in varsity sports, I like computers, I play video games, I drink beer, I hate shopping, and I like both men and women.

My sexuality, however, doesn't define me. Neither does my race, my lack of religion, or my politics. These things are only little parts of the whole. In the grand scheme of things, sexuality and race are the two things that define me least. Many bi, gay, and straight people feel the same way.

What people want is tolerance. The ability for sexuality to NOT define them. The gay community wants to be looked at as just people. Nothing more, nothing less.

This issue is not about sexuality or gender identity. You made it such. You decided that articles of clothing should define sexuality and gender. That cotton, polyester, and nylon will determine who you identity as. This is absurd. It's simply a high school spirit week. Nothing more. I was in high school gov't. back in the day. Nobody had an agenda to promote except either, getting a scholarship, getting laid, or both. It was funny seeing people dress up ridiculously. That's all.

I feel that tolerance is needed from you in excepting other people. However, tolerance doesn't mean that you or your children must act in this manner. Being this worked up concerning a high school spirit week promoted by a bunch of student government geeks is really not healthy.
I'm not worked up. I posted a question in a forum and everyone else around me is getting worked up. My blood pressure is normal. I find it interesting that others are more worked up about this topic than the child sex trafficking thread. They both deal with children, one group being physically and mentally abused, and the other being exposed to blurring gender lines.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:52 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
If you think I am creating posts to elicit a reaction then why did you post?

In my original post on this thread I explained why I am outraged. I didn't just post a link to a news story.

I gave my opinion.

Just as I did on the other thread.

So you're wrong, I didn't make this post to elicit a response. But I did get a response from the gay crew on city-data which I expected. Is child sex trafficking a subject which doesn't affect the gay community as well? I'm curious as to why so few of you commented on the other post relating to that subject.
The difference is that child sex trafficking is pretty much universally accepted as wrong and there aren't very many people who would stand up and make a post in support of it.

Crossdressing is a much more controversial issue.

It'd be like making a post "Murder is wrong" about how it's wrong for adults to kill each other and then wondering why people aren't responding as much.

The controversial issues are usually pretty minor issues...like gay marriage, abortion, legalization of marijuana, trade with Cuba, healthcare reform...not things like child abuse, rape, murder, robbery and assault. See the difference?

Old 10-28-2009, 02:54 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Why no coed shower day?

Why do high schools all over America continue to enforce gay showering?

Same sex, that is!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:57 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
Quote:
I'm not worked up. I posted a question in a forum and everyone else around me is getting worked up. My blood pressure is normal. I find it interesting that others are more worked up about this topic than the child sex trafficking thread. They both deal with children, one group being physically and mentally abused, and the other being exposed to blurring gender lines.
You posted in a forum stating that this is "indoctrination" (your words). You took the time to go on a public forum concerning this. You words were not that of a casual observer.

"It's the silent indoctrination of our nations children to accept blurred gender lines and roles as being normal.

This is not normal."

These are not the words of a person who casually posting on a forum.

Abused? Since when is high school spirit week tantamount to child sex trafficking?

Sorry, but if you feel that child sex traffickers and suburban high school teens share the same plight...that's an interesting world view.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:58 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Cross Dressing has been going on for a really long time.

Just look who the first cross dressers were

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis 3:7
Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:00 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
I've read the child trafficking thread as well - truly horrific. The link was interesting.

I'm guessing you have more posts on this thread because there is much less controversy over child sex trafficking (i.e., most reasonable people would find it abhorrent) whereas the relationship between clothing, sexuality, school, etc. apparently leaves a good deal of room for disagreement.

I am still curious (I may have missed it in the flurry of activity on this thread, if so, please forgive my asking again) about your response to the point that a number of posters have made that cross-dressing and being gay are two different phenomena?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies