Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 07:13 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,772,971 times

Advertisements

Sounds sarcastic Do you mean to say that some people are not just a whole lot more indifferent and/or incompetent than others?

I think there are a lot of jobs where you can afford to be like that without getting into trouble while other jobs simply require you to be competent and thorough, because if you aren't you will get fired.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:32 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,696,667 times
No, people aren't getting stupider. There's just more of them allowed to live past the age where their own stupidity would have taken them out long ago. For many that would have been between the ages of 5 and 10. Now they not only flourish, but breed - and vote. All at your expense.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:49 AM

25,882 posts, read 18,904,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
No, people aren't getting stupider. There's just more of them allowed to live past the age where their own stupidity would have taken them out long ago. For many that would have been between the ages of 5 and 10. Now they not only flourish, but breed - and vote. All at your expense.
Sounds like a movie that's sitting in my DVD collection.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:24 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,069,036 times
This is what you get when you demand full employment. Put about half the people to work, the smart ones, and pay them fairly well tp perform efficiently and make simple decisions on their own. The other half, tell them to stay home. Pay them a subsistence wage so they don't become beggars in the streets---about the equivalent of minimum wage. With only the diligent and competent showing up on the jobsite, productivity will skyrocket, and there will be no problem raising the public funds to sustain the dulllards.

That's called liberalism. But the conservatives are in control of the economy, and that's why you are consantly obstructed by the morons that conservatives insist on cluttering up the work force with.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:37 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,160,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
yeah, be thankful you're not one of them stupider people
It is a difficult word, isn't it? Maybe I should have used "more stupid?" argh.

20yrsinBransn

Old 10-29-2009, 09:43 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,906,890 times
You rant about the electric company is just as much about them being lazy as it is stupid. Customer service people do it all the time, but having done it for so many years, I tend to know when they are full of crap about what they are and are not allowed to do.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:43 AM

204 posts, read 684,465 times
none of this would have happened if you had kept your stupid account number in your stupid wallet along with all your other stupid account numbers from all other stupid companies you deal with!!! duh!

no i'm kidding. people are definitly getting 'stupidder' by the nano-second!

Old 10-29-2009, 09:52 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,772,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It is a difficult word, isn't it? Maybe I should have used "more stupid?" argh.

20yrsinBransn
Good question. I was also wondering if that word is correct, sounded strange to me, but the Firefox spell checker did not mark it as wrong

Old 10-29-2009, 10:41 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,685,170 times
It seems to be the norm in our country that the average transaction on any level has gotten to be an exasperating ordeal. What the OP is describing is a much too common problem, I dread having to deal with billing errors, bank transactions, auto service, et al, the potential for an explosive blood pressure level is always there.

I also see this complaint from the other side of those counters, badly trained personel are not to be blamed for their incompetence. As for the surly employees I have no mercy, they should always be held responsible to the task, and failing that, we all know how to complain up the ladder, but most complaining is seen as a minor bother to most business'.

Stupider? I can't really respond to these observations in any other way but to realize the sadness that comes with them. We are certainly not the country we were fifty years ago, and that's not saying much given what we know about the mindset of American's in the forties and fifties. Business used to hire the most able people, pay decent wages, and, moreover, provide job security in exchange for good work. Yes as a whole business seemed to take their customers much more seriously in the past, but, it is the management that ultimately runs the enterprise, hires the help, and oversees the day to day transactional part of their business. To say that the failure is really at the leadership level is more to the point, blame them that seek those manager positions only to discover their level of competence has been exceeded.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:48 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,806,555 times
Yes, beyond doubt !
Avg. american today has half the vocabulary of 1960.

But despite the rightists who scurry out on every post like this, it has little to do with government and everything to do with TV, rock/movie star culture, materialism and all around bad taste
of american culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies