Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the homosexual lifestyle be discussed in elementary schools?
Yes 29 30.85%
No 62 65.96%
Not sure 3 3.19%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:12 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Yes I remember when you defended a pedophile on CD
Tell me, why do you come on these threads? To instill your indoctrination of anti-homosexuality? Why don't you ask the mods if you can have a thread specifically about anti-gays? It seems to serve no purpose for you to come on here when it's obvious how your mind works, so....again, why are you on here?

Old 10-30-2009, 11:13 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
So what?
My thoughts, exactly, and it also explains why I use the Ignore feature on this forum judiciously.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:15 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Tell me, why do you come on these threads? To instill your indoctrination of anti-homosexuality? Why don't you ask the mods if you can have a thread specifically about anti-gays? It seems to serve no purpose for you to come on here when it's obvious how your mind works, so....again, why are you on here?
I think the answer to your question depends more on the reader than the poster. From my perspective, certain posters are here for comic relief - nothing more.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:18 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think the answer to your question depends more on the reader than the poster. From my perspective, certain posters are here for comic relief - nothing more.
As you alluded to.....it also gives one the chance to check out the "ignore" feature..

Old 10-30-2009, 11:21 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Why do you think it's such a big deal to seperate gay people from str8 people at such a young age. Other than a passing glance, and child isn't really gonna care what you do. It's a child. Again, Do you have children? Why do you think it is so important that my 7 or 8 year old understand that you are homosexual? Why can't they just see you as another person?

And sorry, but I have a pretty extensive knowledge of child's intelligence. They are like a dry sponge, they soak up everything around them. But that doesn't mean they understand it, even if you explain. Why? Because some subjects are above a normal child's level of comprehension. They aren't ready at this age to understand what you seem to think is so "easy" to understand. They don't even understand sexuality yet, and that's how it should stay. Why are you so bent on making little kids understand so much about sexual orientation at such young ages?

And I never said we should never address the subject, don't put words in my mouth. I have simply said that elementary school is not the time to start teaching it. Why not just add it in with the normal "sex ed" classes most kids start taking in 6th or 7th grade. Why do we need to inform them of your sexual orientation before they ever even learn about hetero sex? Add it in with "sex ed" and be done with it.
But the problem with this line of argument, and I've said it a bunch of times on this thread, is that kids do learn about sex from very unreliable sources--their playmates. I had a conversation with kids that I played with that I clearly remember--the prevailing theory was that since babies came from mommy's belly, the point of insertion was the belly button

Kids don't need to know about the mechanics, but they do need to know that there are different kinds of families. Maybe as a straight person, I can offer an example. I found out at about five or six that I was adopted, and my parents were super cool about explaining that. But I distinctly remember sharing that with some friends and then not being able to deal with the question of where I really came from. I tried to explain that my mommy was too young so she gave me to a new mommy and daddy, but the fact that no one else had said that not all families are the same to the other kids made them treat me like I was weird--why did my belly mommy give me away? If I had that experience as a a child a straight couple adopted, I can only imagine what some children do who are being raised by a same sex couple.

I also think there is a fair bit of dishonesty here being expressed by people who insist on children's entire sexual innocence. Look, I made myself feel good when I was a child, I called it "happy hands" to myself, and since no one ever explained what that was to me, I felt ashamed about it. I was smart enough to intuit that what I was doing was "bad," but if someone would have just told me that it was ok to explore my own body in private, I would have been much better off. Likewise about playing doctor. Such a discussion could easily be incorporated into a talk about "good touch, bad touch" discussions that routinely happen, and they are intended to alert children to pedophilia without using that word. As a child, I never would have categorized touching myself as "bad touch" precisely because it felt good. I would have known, in contrast, what bad touch was. Just having that little discussion would have cleared things up for me.

And at eight, I did know there were gay people, but my peers on the playground gave me really distorted views of what that meant. I would much rather have an adult be the person giving out the information. Believe me, the kids are getting it. I'd rather have my kids get it from me and another adult, and not another 8-year-old.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:21 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
You know, I have always heard stories from people talking about how they experimented as children. But I guess, I just wasn't normal. I never played games like this with the opposite sex. In fact, I was never even really interested in girls until I was like 11 or 12. The only thing I can remember was when I was like 6, I was at the baby sitters house and she had a daughter about my age. We were watching TV on the floor, and she was all splayed out and I looked up and BOOM!, she wasn't wearing any underwear. That was the first time I ever saw what girls had down there, and I know I was fascinated. But other than that, I never did the games thing. I was a normal kid, played with my friends, went to school, enjoyed being a kid. I had no desire to experiment with girls until I was about that age when the hormones kick in. So I guess I was just odd, judging by the stories I hear from others.
Having grown up with an older brother, I did see and 'experiment' a lot from a fairly early age. I remember specifically at the age of about 11, shortly after we had the 'sex ed' class (which for the girls consisted of a lecture on menstruation) brother said "show me yours and I'll show you mine" and I thought it was simply gross. Of course brother didn't know (and still doesn't know nearly 50 years later) that I had already seen what males have between their legs, when I was approached by a sexual predator at the age of eight! Managed to escape that unscathed, but I think the perp was more exhibitionist than actual predator as he didn't attempt to stop me from fleeing. Would have been better for me to have known what the heck was happening, than to be as ignorant of the subject of sex as I was then.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:23 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Homosexuals are brainwashing our children? No, homosexuals ARE our children.

Comprehensive sex education in schools is absolutely necessary and proper.
Nice post....thanx......I think that is what some posters are afraid of. After all, as they say "we generally do not reproduce", so we are children of mainly straight couples. We are part of you and vice versa....I think some people just won't accept reality.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:28 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And incredibly, some in the anti-gay crowd use those examples as reasons to keep policies like Don't Ask Don't Tell in place. They've had the gall to claim that it "protects" gays from bullying - as if requiring gays to be in the closet by law is a good thing.
I've experienced that first hand in that one of my nearest and dearest friends ever announced he was gay when we were about 16. I confess that at the time I wanted to die from embarassment AND I knew that not only was it going to put him in the firing line but me also for maintaining the friendship. I can recall a very difficult conversation with my father where I attempted to deflect him from needling about my "boyfriend" by making the announcement that he was in fact gay. My Dad is old school. It must have nearly torn his head open in amazement. And he pretty much said, "I don't understand it, as long as he doesn't shove it down my throat". He was very concerned that spending time with my friend would put me in danger (AND given the times it wasn't an idle worry without merit.)
I can understand his point of view given the times we lived in. What I do know is that ALL of us have learned a good deal since then. My Dad will probably never be truly comfortable with it but he likes my friend and he recognizes that he's been a good friend to me AND that we care about each other a lot.

Eventually over time, he's also come to realize some of the day to day ramifications and legal problems that come along with coming out of the closet and trying to live an authentic life true to yourself when you're a minority or considered different. He's probably never going to attend the Sydney Mardi Gras with us but he's a damn sight more with it now than he ever has been in the past and that can only be a good thing. As it turns out his best mate's step son is most likely gay (he's not made any announcements) and I have to say it's been an absolute JOY watching these big, blokey red blooded heterosexual men discover that they love this kid anyway. WHICH is as it should be, he's an infinitely lovable kid.

It's just a shame that in the US lobby groups seem to be much more prevalent and have way more power. That seems to be the crux of the difference from what I've been able to gather.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:31 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
But the problem with this line of argument, and I've said it a bunch of times on this thread, is that kids do learn about sex from very unreliable sources--their playmates. I had a conversation with kids that I played with that I clearly remember--the prevailing theory was that since babies came from mommy's belly, the point of insertion was the belly button
Yeah, one day Billie told me to come over to his house just before 8 PM, so I did.

His upstairs bedroom window faced the neighbor girl's bedroom window.

Every night at 8 PM Nancy would stick her bare butt out her window.

I thought it was gross, expecting shyt to come pouring out.

Billie said that that's where babies come from.

I was confused for some time about that.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:32 PM

654 posts, read 466,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASActuary View Post
I went to public school in NJ, and we had the beginnings of sex Ed, called the "Growing Up program", in 4th grade, which provided the basics. Of course, having parents who understood kids should hear these things from their parents first I had already known the basics. Good parenting I guess compared to the people who would rather shelter their kids forever, have them hear all kinds of crazy things from their friends, and get pregnant because they got abstinence only education.
Forever? K-5 is not forever. You want to teach them the basics that is fine, but not proper condom usage. Does a third grader really need to know how to use a condom, be aware of STDs, and practice responsible sex?

Will this eliminate a few rogue cases of 5th graders having sex? Is it acceptable for public institutions to teach this through K-5 in order to make sure that a few 5th graders are practicing safe sex?

Quote:
So no, it isn't radical. Sex Ed already occurs in elementary school, at a basic level, in numerous places.
Who said it was radical? I am saying that people who want sex ed programs for K-5 simply because a few 5th graders got caught having sex and a boy of 13 is a father are alarmists and reacionatries.

I specifically ask the poster who I originally had the discussion with to give me a better rational for sex ed between K-5. My request went unanswered, leading me to believe that he/she was an alarmist and reacionary.

Since we are having sex ed taught simply because a few 5th graders are having sex and a few cases may go unreported, should these elementary sex ed programs teach how to properly insert a penis into a rectum to prevent tearing since a few cases of homosexual activities may have occured between K-5?

Last edited by I Like Taxes; 10-30-2009 at 11:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies