Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 02:19 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
None have, but his argument wasn't about marriage, it was that attitudes about homosexuality haven't changed at all in the last 20 years. I don't see how a rational-minded person could share his view. I think awareness and acceptance have grown a LOT over the last 20 years.

I may come across to some as aggressive on the gay issue, but honestly, I'm also very grateful for the way things are now compared to the way things used to be, not that long ago.

Liberace was mainstream in the 1950s, so the idea that gays have been outcasts, as I think you would characterize them, is a little overdone.

Maybe this is one of the hazards of rewriting history as the left is so fond of doing. My gay cousin was a huge flamer, and he never seemed to have big issues. He was a confident guy, and I think that had plenty to do with how he was perceived. He made a very good living as a hair dresser (not making this up), and even worked for some of our local celebrities. If he were an outcast, I never saw it.

Of course there was gossip within the family about him, but there was also gossip about his older brother who was a biker. They both lived their lives as they saw fit and didn't seem to care what others thought. Of course they also had enough common sense to keep their business out of the public square and they tolerated differing opinions (I refer to both of them in the past tense because they died young).

I believe what may be perceived as a shift in attitudes is actually the adoption of gays by the PC left as their next victim group. Women, blacks and Hispanics aren't the quality victims they used to be. Really isn't much left to do with the glass ceiling and pay equality. Everyone gets to vote, so what's left?

Eureka! Gays get to marry each other and no one is allowed to say f@g anymore.

Don't take it personally. The left just needs a racist, sexist, and now "homophobe", white male boggie man to hate on and with whom to keep themselves in the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 02:23 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Liberace was mainstream in the 1950s, so the idea that gays have been outcasts, as I think you would characterize them, is a little overdone.
Nope. I never said that gays were outcasts. I said that acceptance of homosexuality has increased over the last 20 years.

Quote:
I believe what may be perceived as a shift in attitudes is actually the adoption of gays by the PC left as their next victim group.
I'm just referring to opinion polls that include all Americans' attitudes about homosexuality. If you want to second-guess them, that's your choice.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:28 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Bingo!
Because it's a legal matter. Most versions of civil union law are not as detailed about the specific rights and responsibilities of each party in the contract.
What's the Difference?

The most significant difference between marriage and civil unions (or domestic partnerships) is that only marriage offers federal benefits and protections.
According to the federal government's General Accounting Office (GAO), more than 1,100 rights and protections are conferred to U.S. citizens upon marriage. Areas affected include Social Security benefits, veterans' benefits, health insurance, Medicaid, hospital visitation, estate taxes, retirement savings, pensions, family leave, and immigration law.

A Primer on Same-Sex Marriage, Civil Unions, Domestic Partnerships, and Defense of Marriage Acts — Infoplease.com

Old 11-04-2009, 02:30 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Nope. I never said that gays were outcasts. I said that acceptance of homosexuality has increased over the last 20 years.

I'm just referring to opinion polls that include all Americans' attitudes about homosexuality. If you want to second-guess them, that's your choice.
You had an opinion poll and didn't post it?

Old 11-04-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Because it's a legal matter. Most versions of civil union law are not as detailed about the specific rights and responsibilities of each party in the contract.
What's the Difference?

The most significant difference between marriage and civil unions (or domestic partnerships) is that only marriage offers federal benefits and protections.
This is why the Defense Of Marriage Act should be repealed.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
You had an opinion poll and didn't post it?
Here it is:

Tolerance for Gay Rights at High-Water Mark

Old 11-04-2009, 02:40 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,915 times
Quote:
I hate to burst your bubble but Liberace never admitted he was gay; he even sued a number of people for libel when they insinuated as much (and won).

Liberace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gays were definitely considered outcasts in the 50s!

Old 11-04-2009, 03:11 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
I have asked this question before but have NEVER gotten an answer maybe this time I will:

This is for anyone that DISAPPROVES of gay marriage, it is a hypothetical question.

If you have a daughter would you rather she sleep with a different man every night or be able to marry a woman that loves her and cares for her?

Pretty simple. Now if I can get someone to answer that would be great.
A silly question and a bad analogy. The two behaviors are mutually exclusive.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:16 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Bingo!
No, it's not bingo. Did you not read my post earlier? 18 states have constitutional bans on BOTH gay marriages AND civil unions for same sex couples. If you people were okay with civil unions, why did you vote to ban them along with gay marriages?

Old 11-04-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Why can't gays accept Civil Unions? Why MUST it be "marriage" or nothing? Again, they aren't trying to legislate equality, they are trying to legislate acceptance. There's a difference.
Really? You're from Virginia - a state that voted to ban all forms of same-sex unions, including civil unions. How did you vote on that one? Be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies