Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 04:43 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,560,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave
Better a polite knock on the door and a "thank you, have a nice day" as opposed to islam's "convert or die". Tell me one example of a movie maker fearing for his life for insulting christianity or a cartoon maker hiding behind police protection because they made a cartoon insulting christianity and I'll take the rest of your post on this topic seriously.
Martin Scorcese faced death threats when he made the "Last Temptation of Christ" way back in 1988. They had metal detectors at some of the theaters showing the film and increased security. But yeah, the Islamo-nuts take this sort of this way more seriously than the fundamentalist Christians(except for the occasional abortion doctor).

South Park got it right when they made an episode parodying the controversy around the Mohammad cartoons and then Comedy Central wouldn't allow them to show an image of Mohammed(which they had ironically shown a few seasons before and no one noticed).. Trey Parker and Matt Stone said themselves that the network execs weren't concerned about religious tolerance, but were just scared of the possible violent reaction. The whole point of that episode was the double standard that it's alright to make fun of every religion on the show, but Islam is off limits.

So I guess violent threats do really work when it comes to the entertainment industry..

Quote:
Maybe if Muslims played baseball they'd loosen up.
Or if they would just start drinking beer...I mean it's made Catholicism tolerable for over two thousand years--look at the Irish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 04:45 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,927,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
He decided against it out of fear of Islam. Terrorism got a small victory. Islam, religion of terrorism.
same tactics that made christianity the religion it is today.. threats.. and killings... and imposing of fear upon the populace.. had that not happened we'd all still have our pagan rituals..
love the life you have and how jesus was brought into it? thank a roman terrorist for persuading your ancestors

Old 11-04-2009, 04:46 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,724,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Maybe if Muslims played baseball they'd loosen up.
They play some perverse form known as cricket.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:03 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,591,067 times
Quote:
"Not Yet". Remember, they're already setting up their own Sharia law in parts of England and some European areas. Dearborn, MI has a large muslim population. Is it not possible that in some parts of that community they've started their own Sharia law? They've already enforced Sharia law on this movie director by fear alone.
They have. I know because I go to Dearborn for university.

Last week, they caught a group of around 12 people in a group called "The Brotherhood" where they wanted to start the Sharia Law. They expressed their hate for the US and wanted to "take over".

The FBI got involved and several of them were caught and shot by the police.

It was scary. I was in Dearborn when it happened last week.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:10 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,456,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

I think one gains the favor of at least one of the multiple virgins in their heaven if they are obedient to the command to kill such an infidel.

Beats me. It's crazy, is what it means. Peaceful, my foot. And the muslim community tends to look the other way. A couple times I've heard a moderate muslim condemn such acts of violence, but rarely. They, too, are scared to speak up.
What "acts" of violence? There weren't any "acts" of violence in this story. There weren't even any actual THREATS of violence.
Quote:

He decided against it out of fear of Islam. Terrorism got a small victory. Islam, religion of terrorism.
Fear based on non-existent, imaginary "fatwas". Ooooo, scary. Should we all be afraid of the make-believe now, too?

Old 11-04-2009, 05:24 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,658,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Or if they would just start drinking beer...I mean it's made Catholicism tolerable for over two thousand years--look at the Irish.

Lol! That takes me back to my childhood -- every Catholic wedding, funeral, fish fry and festival you could count on three things: the priest making the rounds, beer and pickle cards

Old 11-04-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
What "acts" of violence? There weren't any "acts" of violence in this story. There weren't even any actual THREATS of violence. Fear based on non-existent, imaginary "fatwas". Ooooo, scary. Should we all be afraid of the make-believe now, too?

Is it make believe when directors/writers etc.. make concerted efforts not to pizz off muslims for fear of retribution? Was the fear Salmon Rushdie lived in imaginary? How about Theo Van Gogh? Was his murder imaginary?

Old 11-04-2009, 05:37 PM

Here is an interesting story I found. This is an interview with Salman Rushdie and what he says about the threat of Islamic fundementalism is very eye opening...

He senses soft racism in the refusal to see Islamic fundamentalists for what they are. When looking at the Christian fundamentalists of the United States, most people see an autonomous movement of superstitious madmen. But when they look at their Islamic equivalents, they assume they cannot mean what they say. "One of the things that's commonly said by Islamists is that it's acceptable to bomb a disco, because a disco is a place where people are behaving in a disgusting way. Go away and die - that's all bin Laden wants you to do. It's not just about Iraq, it's about ham sandwiches and kissing in public places and sex with girls you're not married to." He pauses. "It's about life."
"We're all living under a fatwa now." - Bismika Allahuma Discussion Forum

You can find the entire interview on a link on the site.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:40 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,222,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Here is an interesting story I found. This is an interview with Salman Rushdie and what he says about the threat of Islamic fundementalism is very eye opening...

He senses soft racism in the refusal to see Islamic fundamentalists for what they are. When looking at the Christian fundamentalists of the United States, most people see an autonomous movement of superstitious madmen. But when they look at their Islamic equivalents, they assume they cannot mean what they say. "One of the things that's commonly said by Islamists is that it's acceptable to bomb a disco, because a disco is a place where people are behaving in a disgusting way. Go away and die - that's all bin Laden wants you to do. It's not just about Iraq, it's about ham sandwiches and kissing in public places and sex with girls you're not married to." He pauses. "It's about life."
"We're all living under a fatwa now." - Bismika Allahuma Discussion Forum

You can find the entire interview on a link on the site.
Politics - The Power of Nightmares, (Part 1/3), “Baby it's Cold Outside“

Interesting/creepy forum btw camping!, thanks for posting the link.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:40 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,456,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post

Is it make believe when directors/writers etc.. make concerted efforts not to pizz off muslims for fear of retribution?
This question makes no sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping!

Was the fear Salmon Rushdie lived in imaginary?
, Of course not, because he had an actual threat made on his life. These bozos didn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping!

How about Theo Van Gogh? Was his murder imaginary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies