Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:09 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I just had a long phone conversation with my youngest daughter about this very subject. President Obama was speaking at a school in Madison (where she lives) today and she said the motorcade had gone past her on the beltway. She was talking about how excited she was when he came there when he was campaigning and now not so much. As she said, and I agree, "he gives wonderful speeches but I'd be a lot more impressed if he actually DID the things he said he'd do." We agreed that the congress and senate have not helped and that the party of no have been very obstructive. However, had he gotten out in front of things and fought for the things he said he believed in we believe he could have carried the day in most things. He just sat back and let the obstructionist take over and that has cost him the momentum he had. We are very, very disappointed and if he doesnt' "grow a pair" real quickly he will have wasted the opportunity he had to bring about real change.

first off, I dont see how you can say he let them (obstructionist) take over....he is the President...not a member of congress anymore...congress has the power, the POTUS has LIMITEDpower

secondly doesnt the democrats have a SUPER MAJORITY??????.....if so then why havent they passed any real laws.....if they are a SUPERMAJORITY why havent they (or the POTUS) gotten rid of nafta/cafta/gatt (the reason we have lost 50 million jobs since 1993)..why did Obama keep the warrantless wiretaps??????

btw..I seem to recall the left always saying that Bush had a rubberstamp congress......funny thing is the democrats were tied in the senate his first year(107th congress)(they even had controll for a few months,,,,andf the biggest majority they had in the senate while bush was in was 55 (109th congress jan05-dec06)....in the house 231-201 (again the jan 05-dec 06)

so according to the left...a 231-201 house and a 55-45 senate is a rubberstamp congress....yet TODAY the democrats control all 3 houses with 256-177, and 60-40, and they cant get things done.................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 07:15 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I guess I didn't see last night as a "huge" victory for Republicans. They won two governor's races, but they also lost a Congressional seat.

Sure, it's always better to win than to lose, but I wouldn't overstate the results.
I felt the same way. I have never ever looked at a governor's race as something major or anything that proves anything other than what that particular state is going thru. I mean, if those 2 states had elected dems I'd be like, shrug, ok & so what?

Old 11-04-2009, 07:23 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
And the congressional seat that they lost was sacrosanct...hadn't elected a Democrat in over 100 years.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:39 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
As i've said all along, the election of Obama was more of a referendum against George W. Bush than it was an affirmation that Barack Obama and Democrats could do it better. Independents took a chance and voted for skin color and tingley legs, they now feel duped, and checks and balances are on their way back to the halls of Congress because of it. Bet on it.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Oh you hear the conservatives crow about their smashing victory last night. And I agree, it was a HUGE and SMASHING rout of the Democrats. BUT was it because the voters have turned conservative OR is it because the base and many independents stayed home?
I would argue the latter and the data- especially in Virgina- shows that to be the case. This should serve as a WARNING to the Democrats that the base is getting fed up with the broken promises and the working people being raped by big banks, big pharma and big insurance. We are sick of being victimized by big banks only to have our tax dollars swiped to pay multi million dollar bonuses to bankers who raise the interest rates on our existing balance credit cards from 7 to 30%.
We are sick of wars that seem to drag on with no end in sight although Obama promised to end at least one of them when he was elected- along with lots of other promises for "change we can believe in" that we have not seen.
In fact I would argue that if we had elected McCain nothing would be different than it is with Obama. And hopefully they will take yesterday as a warning. If they fail us, we will stay home and 2010 will be a bloodbath.
Newsflash....the left is the extreme group. It's hardly the majority of democrats. Yesterday votes were held on bills, ideas and politicians and the left failed miserably. Not because the base stayed home. Because the base isn't like the few extremist nutjobs here on this board.

A rockstar was voted into office last november. People got enamored with a person, not with what's best for the country. Now that the vote was more than a glorified american idol contest, the people made the right decision.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:02 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
The Democrats Had Better Get The Message- From The LEFT!
You are only 20% of the population (thank god). Conservatives are double that, around 40%, moderates approx 38%.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:16 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Obama evidently not able to tickle his very "base" base last evening. He'll need to get out his special "tickler" for 2010, or his "base" base not likely to budge from that couch. Free bus rides, donuts and coffee just don't do it any longer....

Old 11-05-2009, 04:49 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The democratic leadership bett5er hear the voters and move back towards the center and ignore the far left like Clinton did. Otherwsie they wil continue to do downhill fast.
I disagree. They had better move to the left and away from the right. They had better take care of their base first. This includes the working class, the working professional class, the poor, gays, blacks, college students, union members and the elderly.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:54 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
What exactly has Obama DONE (not what he SAYS but DONE) that makes anybody think he is ultra left?
Has he closed Gotmo? NO
Has he ended the war in Iraq? NO
Has he ended the war in Afganistan? NO
Has he pushed any health reform through? NO
Has he raised taxes on the rich? NO
Has he cut taxes? YES
Has he regulated the banking industry? NO
Has he legalized marijuana? NO
Has he repealed don't ask don't tell? NO

I could go on but you get the picture.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-05-2009 at 04:52 PM..

Old 11-05-2009, 05:13 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
As someone who would be viewed by most as ultra liberal e.g., pro increased gov. regulation of finance/"big business", pro gun control, pro single payer health care, pro environment, anti-war, pro choice, pro gay equality and on and on, Obama is a huge disappointment, BUT, I recognize I am in the minority. This is, from my perspective--a very conservative country. Even with a democratic majority in Congress that doesn't equate to support for the policies I support. True, Obama is not the leader I hoped he would be, but from my vantage point I never considered him a liberal, he is a centrist with some liberal ideals. A true liberal (e.g. a Dennis Kucinich) can't be elected in the good ole U.S.A. The sooner folks except that the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies