Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 11:09 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,256,733 times

Advertisements

For all you smokers out there, I totally feel for you guys. I'm sure it sucks that more more places are now turning into non-smoking establishments. What does this mean? You guys have to bring it outside!

So here's my question: do you guys care when non-smokers are coughing and are obviously bothered by your smoking? Or do you just think, "For Christ's sake, get over it!"

Example: I was waiting at the shuttle bus with my Dad a few years back to take him back to the car after his chemo treatment. We were sitting on the only bench available. These ladies (nurses nonetheless!) were smoking next to us and the wind was blowing in our direction. The smoke was right in our face. It was obviously hard for both my father & me to breathe. I coughed pretty loudly for them to get a clue but they never did and just kept on smoking. We couldn't move b'c there was nowhere else for my Dad to sit!

Since I feel for you guys that "No Smoking" signs are popping up everywhere, I generally try to keep the peace but come on, I was obviously with a very sick man (my Dad LOOKED sick from chemo) and we were right in front of a cancer hospital!

Also, in the future, if smoking bothers me, should I say something? Or is there not a way to say nicely, "Do you mind going somewhere else to smoke?" I'm usually the one moving out of their way - I'm not one of those people that make a big deal out of stuff - but sometimes you can't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 03:22 PM

356 posts, read 1,129,556 times
I am a smoker and I don't think smokers should have rights. It is a nasty addiction and I for one would be happy if the taxes went so high that I couldn't afford it. Be warned many smokers are militant about their "right to smoke" but if I were with a sick person I would say something if I were you. I am surpirsed anyone was allowed to smoke in front of a hospital. Usually there is an area way far away from entrances for smokers and that is where we belong.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:30 PM

MTbound, whoa, thanks for your honesty. The shuttle bus was actually across the street from the hospital and I believe they were heading home - not on their "smoking break" so I guess in their defense, they had just as much right to smoke there as we had to sit there.

The only thing I was upset about was how insensitive they were. In hindsight, I guess I should've said something but I would hate to cause a scene!

Old 05-12-2007, 03:41 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,277,272 times
I smoke, and I DO care...but I tend to get caught up in myself and forget, even though it's so politically incorrect to smoke that it makes me nauseous to hear about it yet again.

I don't think you will cause a scene with many if you are polite - maybe asking the nurses to change places with you and your father so that you would be upwind? If anyone brings my smoking to my attention in a halfway decent manner, I'm usually ashamed of myself for not being more aware of my surroundings....however, people who hack loudly and give me the big evil eye are only making it worse (yep, hardheaded, too). In your particular case, I think, "excuse me, I am so sorry to bother you, but my father is coming from chemo treatment and is having difficulty breathing - could we maybe change places with you since the smoke is blowing on him?" would have worked.

As to the rest of the No Smoking thing.....I DO get irritated that drunks can drink, drive and fight and people just say they are drunk - but I'm some sort of a social pariah. I'm also irritated that the government, who leaves it up to states to determine helmet laws, thinks it's okay in our state to ride a motorcycle without a helmet but not okay to smoke anywhere, anyhow. Our law was so poorly written that even the Federal Building in the capitol city was in violation since there were ashtrays built into the walls~!

Don't know how best to handle it overall - I guess it would vary from region to region - but I suspect there are absolutely droves of smokers out there who don't light up in public and espouse the no smoking rules with great vigor.....and that bugs me most of all!

Old 05-12-2007, 04:00 PM

Sam I am - thanks for your honesty, too!

I can totally understand your POV. I am happy that a lot of establishments ban smoking but at the same time, can't we find a way to co-exist?

The only problem with smoking is the second-hand smoke non-smokers are exposed to so i think that's why a lot of the laws are put into place b'c of that. What are they going to do next though? Ban cars because of the exhaust? Or coal plants for the pollution they expel? It never ends!

Old 05-12-2007, 04:25 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,300,520 times
When I lived in Texas, Arlington had a law that no one could smoke in restuarants unless they had a seperate area that would keep the smoke from wafting over to where the non smokers sat...

I really don't have a burden to make everyone live their life the way I do...I have asthma, I can't breath in smoke...but if someone else wants to smoke then so far that is still their right...just as long as they don't do it where your not supposed to...

I read somewhere that there was suggestion to ban smoking even bars...that seems more then a little excessive and would make it very difficult for people who own bars to make a living...

I think that restuarant should provide areas when they can where people can smoke, like here in Florida, there is plenty of good weather to be had, provide a place to sit outside for people who want to smoke...

Old 05-12-2007, 04:43 PM

I'm from TX and lived in Dallas & Houston. I remember going to restaurants and they would always ask: smoking or non-smoking. I don't think they do it anymore though?

Phoenix (or the state of AZ) just put a ban on smoking, even in bars. I do think it's a little extreme but what about the bartenders and hostesses that have to work there every night? Smokers put their health at risk. I guess it's just a catch-22.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:56 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,277,272 times
Arkansas - you have to have a separate room and some sort of super vent-a-hood - and I do not mind that at all. I know of a couple of restaurant/bars that went to over 21 only so they could have smoking since the vent-a-hoods are apparently very expensive. A calculated gamble on their part that has paid off - the smokers flock there and the company just leaves the front and back doors open, no matter what the weather. I DO object to being seated outside and still unable to smoke - hello, the nonsmokers have the inside, they want the outside too? Okey-dokey - guess I'll just tailgate...

Hostesses and bartenders are over 21 - they are informed of their risks unless they've been living under a rock - if they choose to work in a smoky environment, so be it. Seems most drinkers smoke, but not all smokers drink.....I'm not going to a bar where I can't smoke somewhere - of course, I live in a dry county where we end up going to "private clubs" where you can do pretty much anything you want except have a brawl, and people outside of Arkansas don't understand the dry county thing anyway - to be honest, I'm not sure I do, but I've learned to accept it.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:03 PM

I remember one of the airports I had a stop at had a smoker's lounge. It was hilarious b'c you saw like a plume of smoke and all these people in there like they were having a grand ol' time. I kinda felt bad b'c the room was enclosed in glass and everybody on the outside could look in, like they were museum exhibits. It looked like something out of Seinfeld!

Old 05-12-2007, 05:11 PM

592 posts, read 2,810,724 times
I hate to tell you all, but smoking (TOBACCO) is still legal in this fine country. Probably not for long, but for now, it is. If all the non-smokers unite, maybe you could get it outlawed. OH, WAIT, that will never happen, the feds and state govt's make way too much moola from the taxes. Just like the war, nobody on the left has the nads to outlaw it, or de-fund it, just whine and complain, piddle and moan to get more attention. Get over it, when most states have practically legalized smoking dope, the bandwagon is strong for bashing those of us who choose to smoke...enough already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies