Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:27 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
How is it Iran's fault that US citizens mistakenly crossed the Iran-Iraq border and ended up in Iran? Perhaps Iran put up a "McDonald's, next exit" sign as a way to lure poor unsuspecting hikers across the border?
enticement Perhaps a way to dodge bullets from that "war" you say is going on.

It's amusing reading the compassion displayed here to three innocent hikers and the acceptance of Iran's actions. So much for Obama and Hilary's shaking hands and a chat over coffee. Next time I'm sure they'll check in here for what hikes are blessed as safe by CD posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 01:48 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
enticement Perhaps a way to dodge bullets from that "war" you say is going on.

It's amusing reading the compassion displayed here to three innocent hikers and the acceptance of Iran's actions. So much for Obama and Hilary's shaking hands and a chat over coffee. Next time I'm sure they'll check in here for what hikes are blessed as safe by CD posters.
Well these hikers were at fault for crossing the border, Iran didn't make them do this. They made a mistake as often humans do, I'm not suggesting we cast them aside because they were liberal or conservative, or what their beliefs are. If they are American citizens, then I would hope the United States would do whatever it can to get them back unharmed.

Last I checked, Iraq has been in a state of utter upheaval for the past 20 years and in a state of war and occupation for at least 9 of the past 20 years. I think that constitutes a war ravaged nation. The fact that it shares a contentious border with Iran, a nation seen as public enemy #1 to the United States, I would think any adult would exercise great caution to even be in the vicinity. So for people to go hiking in such a region alone, well I think it is rather foolish personally.

I do find it down right disgusting to see the view that because these people are being described as "left-wing" that people would suggest their own countrymen be left to rot. Then to adjoin with those we see as enemies to denounce our own people because they hold a different political view is beyond disgust, its shameful.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:56 PM

85 posts, read 110,327 times
So what I am getting in this thread is that these idiots should be rescued by America and forgiven for their foolishness. That is funny, because if it was a law here in the US that was broken stupidly, it would be ok to let them suffer the consequences? Take a drunk driver for example. They have 1 too many drinks and they feel they are fine to drive but end up getting a DUI. Should they just be let go because it was an honest mistake? Should the US government swoop in and rescue this person from the evils of justice? NO! Why should this be any different? They knew the consequences and possible dangers just as the DUI offender did, what is the difference? You play, you pay.......

Old 01-12-2010, 02:12 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
. . . . I do find it down right disgusting to see the view that because these people are being described as "left-wing" that people would suggest their own countrymen be left to rot. Then to adjoin with those we see as enemies to denounce our own people because they hold a different political view is beyond disgust, its shameful.
agree. I have no idea what their political views are . . . although if strong libs with a "peace if only we talk" mentality it does put an ironic spin on the episode.

And we shouldn't be turning our backs to the severe incarceration for our innocent countrymen and women; hiking were they find beauty and making a wrong turn.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:17 PM

85 posts, read 110,327 times
innocent? They broke Iranian law. That is not innocent.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:20 PM

615 posts, read 1,693,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miner09 View Post
So what I am getting in this thread is that these idiots should be rescued by America and forgiven for their foolishness. That is funny, because if it was a law here in the US that was broken stupidly, it would be ok to let them suffer the consequences? Take a drunk driver for example. They have 1 too many drinks and they feel they are fine to drive but end up getting a DUI. Should they just be let go because it was an honest mistake? Should the US government swoop in and rescue this person from the evils of justice? NO! Why should this be any different? They knew the consequences and possible dangers just as the DUI offender did, what is the difference? You play, you pay.......
Really?! I mean REALLY!!?? You are actually comparing these kids that innocently and accidentally crossed over the border into Iran with drunk drivers??!! We aren't talking about people that blatently break the law, if they did it on purpose then that is different but I think it is clear at this point that it was an accident. We don't stone, beat, execute anyone that accidentally crosses our borders if it is found that they were innocent. If they brought drugs or illegal contraband into a foreign country, well I get that. If they were doing illegal activity, well I get that too. If it is found that they were doing anything other than innocently hiking, then that changes things too. I don't think we should move heaven and earth to get these kids out but at the very least we should be talking to Iran and I cannot for the life of me understand why people are having such issues with that.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:13 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Well after reading about all this my conclusion is:

*being imprisoned in Iran will be good life experience for them as they love muslim totalitarian regimes and what better way to experience it than be a "guest" of Iran?

*Kurdistan is not "safe". Robert Young Pelton has long had it listed as one of the most dangerous places in the world. Based on everything I know about it, it might be calmer than some parts of Iraq but it is not a place for Americans to go tramping around it. That might be a pretty waterfall, but go to New Zealand instead.

*Getting good maps and learning orienteering is probably not a bad skill to have

*There is only so much the US government can do. We don't have an embassy there(wonder why) and we don't really have much recourse to get them back. The Delta Force wont be going in for sure.

*While I think it is sad they got nabbed, at some point they have to take some personal responsibility for tramping around near Iranian borders.

*The fair thing for Iran to do is fine them and let them go, but ahem Iran is a totalitarian regime(yes I know they have their little parliament, but we know the supreme leader really runs the show) and well it's probably a good lesson to learn about how those types of countries work.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:19 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
agree. I have no idea what their political views are . . . although if strong libs with a "peace if only we talk" mentality it does put an ironic spin on the episode.

And we shouldn't be turning our backs to the severe incarceration for our innocent countrymen and women; hiking were they find beauty and making a wrong turn.
Who is to say they weren't actually spying? After all, how does anyone really know, its not as though the US State Dept would issue a press conference stating that "three of our spies along the Iranian border were captured". Who would be a more likely candidate for spying, someone anti-Syrian, pro-Israeli or someone anti-Israeli, pro-Syrian? (or portrayed as such)

Old 01-12-2010, 06:27 PM

817 posts, read 853,249 times
Call me paranoid but I wouldn't go hiking near any country that's in a war.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:28 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
The simmering resentment felt by some Americans for other Americans is producing a stench that must surely reach to heaven and will, in time, be the thing that destroys this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies