Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 09:14 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I want Universal, government run health care or at worst, single payer. It isn't reform if the Insurance Companies and Lawyers are still sucking the life out of it. I DO NOT support the current comprimise.
just how would you pay for a national single payer system for all????
btw....

medicaid is a single payer

look at 'medicaid' the government single payer system (not medicare for the elderly),,,.....
1. currently there are about 30 million people on medicaid which is a single payer system,,.....
2. the cost for FY08 (FY09 just finished) was 250 BILLION.......to cover about 10% of the population.............
How much would that cost for the entire 320 million in our popuation,,,about 3 TRILLION PER YEAR (give or take a half a trillion)(THAT'S MORE THAN THE INTAKE THE GOVERNMENT HAS RIGHT NOW),,,,.....based on the TAX RECEIPTS from the IRS, there were 105 million tax returns (1040/a/ez) last year (of those about 40% were zero tax, some even got more back than they paid in)..............so go to the handy-dandy calculator and take 3 trillion and divide by 100 million..........you get 30,000 PER TAXPAYER PER YEAR,,that more than a lot of people make..........can YOU afford that????

we cant AFFORD a single payer system.....infact if you look at most coutries with a NHC they are in the RED (going bankrupt)

its NOT free,,,some how or another the money has to come from somewhere,,,it doesn’t grow on trees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 09:16 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I agree entirely and I also believe that under penalty of law you should be forced to pay for my health care.
lol

Why stop there they should also pay for your shelter/housing

Old 11-12-2009, 09:23 AM

108 posts, read 266,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I want Universal, government run health care or at worst, single payer. It isn't reform if the Insurance Companies and Lawyers are still sucking the life out of it. I DO NOT support the current comprimise.

But the gov't sucking the life out of it is ok?

Old 11-12-2009, 09:24 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
So in essence right leaning Americans think that jungle law suit them the best. Why bother with society then? What the point? Club thy neighbor.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:27 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
So in essence right leaning Americans think that jungle law suit them the best. Why bother with society then? What the point? Club thy neighbor.
Lets just throw the whole 'land of the free' thing out the window then, shall we? We can replace it with 'America: land of the sit on our a**es while the government fixes everything for us'

Read the Constitution, then read a book on Capitalism as it pertains to economic theory then come back and post again.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz1 View Post
K, but I would argue that such a right is already covered under the 9th amendment
ok,,
but where in this:
"""The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."""

does it say the governemnt shall provide

Old 11-12-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin
If the forefathers were here today - they would have included it in the
Bill of Rights and/or Constitution. Remember, in the very old days there
was no middle man. It was the patient, the doctor, and the doctor was
supported by the community - right up there with clergy.

Actually, the Bill of Rights is PART of the Constitution. I'm curious though. Just how do you think Madison would have worded that amendment?

I can answer that......

""Congress shall make no law prohibiting healthcare, for it is a right of every citizen to be able to obtain medical treatment""

but same as the other amendments....it wont say ANYTHING about the government PAYING FOR IT

does the government pay me to read the paper??? go to church??? buy a weapon????

no it doesnt, AND THEY ARE RIGHTS

Yeah, but I would argue that the right to seek out and obtain medical treatment from a medical provider would already be covered under the 9th amendment. The 10th amendment keeps the gov't out of it.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
ok,,
but where in this:
"""The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."""

does it say the governemnt shall provide
I modified my post (see above)

Old 11-12-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz1 View Post
Yeah, but I would argue that the right to seek out and obtain medical treatment from a medical provider would already be covered under the 9th amendment. The 10th amendment keeps the gov't out of it.
EXACTLY......everyone ALREADY has the 'right' to health care...EVERY AMERICAN ALREADY HAS ACCESS TO HEALTH CARE, all they have to do is go to the doctor..the doctor provides a SERVICE..the patient has the RIGHT and RESPONSIBILITY to pay for the service rendered.

and yes the 10th amendment SPECIFICLY says that anything not mentioned in the constitution is on the STATES, not the federal government

Old 11-12-2009, 09:45 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
You have the right to be healthy and go to the doctor of your choice. You also have the right to pay for it out of your own pocket with your own money.

well reach in there and see if you got a few hundred grand in case you need to spend a few weeks in the hospital. i also already responded to another dumb answer like that so read it to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies