Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:38 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times

Advertisements

Republicans ( USA ) = To the right,economy wise, of Christian Democrats ( EU Parliament title )

Independents = Ch Dem & right wing Free Democrats

Democrats ...

Blue Dogs = Free Dem,a few very right wing Social Democrats...

New Democrats = Right & center Social Democrats

Rest of Dems & Progressives = Left wing Social Dems & Labour/ex communist,Left Alliances & Greens...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 01:39 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
pamky, try this link:
From that link:

According to the study, liberals were the most educated ideological demographic and were tied with the conservative sub-group, the "Enterprisers," for the most affluent group.
Of those who identified as liberal, 49% were college graduates and 41% had household incomes exceeding $75,000, compared to 27% and 28% as the national average, respectively.

Interesting.

I wonder what Libertarians are like. Maybe someone on CD has some info on people who vote Libertarian.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:41 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Can you give me more insight? (without name calling )
Liberal has a different meaning here than in Europe. As was said, a Liberal generally advocates government action on a number of things ranging from the economy to issues of justice. Conservatives, at least in theory, prefer a more laissez-faire approach to things. Of course they will suspend this doctrine for special cases and their own agendas. As will Liberals.

A Libertarian is kind of a fusion of the two. They advocate much less government action. For instance, a Libertarian would have no problem with gay marriage or smoking dope, seeing that as an individual choice that does little harm to others. That would endear them to Liberals. But they also decry extensive social welfare programs seeing them as robbing people of individual spirit. That would endear them to Conservatives.

And of course, within the Liberal and Conservative camps, you have many sub genres. For instance, "Rockefeller Republicans", a dying breed poised for a comeback, advocate toughness on crime and fiscal sanity, but are otherwise somewhat libertarian on social issues. Likewise, Southern Democrats are traditionally a bit more sympathetic to national defense issues and gun rights.

Confused?

So are we.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:42 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
From that link:

According to the study, liberals were the most educated ideological demographic and were tied with the conservative sub-group, the "Enterprisers," for the most affluent group.
Of those who identified as liberal, 49% were college graduates and 41% had household incomes exceeding $75,000, compared to 27% and 28% as the national average, respectively.

Interesting.

I wonder what Libertarians are like. Maybe someone on CD has some info on people who vote Libertarian.
Me.

I vote Libertarian. Not all the time, but enough.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:44 PM

549 posts, read 1,665,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Republicans ( USA ) = To the right,economy wise, of Christian Democrats ( EU Parliament title )

Independents = Ch Dem & right wing Free Democrats

Democrats ...

Blue Dogs = Free Dem,a few very right wing Social Democrats...

New Democrats = Right & center Social Democrats

Rest of Dems & Progressives = Left wing Social Dems & Labour/ex communist,Left Alliances & Greens...

haha is that a joke...

Republicans = war fanatics, economy ignorants, antichristian, murderers. the opposite of Europe!

Democrats= peace, economy wise, Christians, true Americans!..people who believe in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happyness!

Republicans believe in wars, oil, and money...

Old 11-18-2009, 01:45 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
From that link:

Interesting.

you ignore the point of the post [being that the term liberalism has a nearly polar opposite meaning in the US as opposed to europe] in favor of cherry-picking some minutia about affluence and education?

all righty then

Old 11-18-2009, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the answers.

Are the Libertarians and (probably) the Green Party the only ones against wars?
Wars come with a huge spending, something the Republican Party should be against according to their beliefs (not to mention its not compatible with Christianity).

Why not Ron Paul vs Ralph Nader in 2012 ?

Old 11-18-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you ignore the point of the post [being that the term liberalism has a nearly polar opposite meaning in the US as opposed to europe] in favor of cherry-picking some minutia about affluence and education?

all righty then
I did not ignore it. I now understand that I confused Liberal with Libetarian.
I am sure there are many educated republicans with a high income. You can provide me with a link if you want. There is no need of false accusations.

I hardly see a difference between the politics of the Democrats and Republicans.
Maybe you should take a look at my status to see who I respect.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:52 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Thanks for the answers.

Are the Libertarians and (probably) the Green Party the only ones against wars?
Wars come with a huge spending, something the Republican Party should be against according to their beliefs (not to mention its not compatible with Christianity).

Why not Ron Paul vs Ralph Nader in 2012 ?
Well that would certainly put folks in their proper camps.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
haha is that a joke...

Republicans = war fanatics, economy ignorants, antichristian, murderers. the opposite of Europe!

Democrats= peace, economy wise, Christians, true Americans!..people who believe in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happyness!

Republicans believe in wars, oil, and money...

I believe both parties bow down to big corporations. I wouldn't trust either of them if I was an American.
If I had to chose between both, then I would pick the Democrats, only because they support more of the things I believe in but not because I trust them.
Politics is just a dirty game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies