Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:01 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I know all this sounds mean a cruel but there is truth in here.
Who cares about that? A lot of people nowdays aren't interested in truth, unless of course it's all warm and fuzzy and barney the dinosaur-ish. If it's unpleasant....esp if it's an unpleasant truth about the allegedly oppressed or "victims"...many just go NANANANA I CAN'T HEAR YOU and go on about the evils of "the right" or "the religious" or "the man," or some other ridiculous stereotype.....all the while chastising those who disagree for "stereotyping." Yes sports fans, stupidity, a closed mind, and hypocrisy like a cherry on top - it's the hat trick! yayyy

Quote:
I don't have a nice, pretty answer to this problem
Then go away. They don't want to listen to you, you brute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Children & the elderly dont get a choice to ' bust their butts '
The elderly had a chance to do so when younger. As for kids, that's what parents are for.

PS: I hope you realize I am not saying never help those in need. Unlikes some others here (not saying you), I realize such absolutes are idiotic and you have to take the specific circumstances into account. But generally, I am no fan of the welfare/handout system or esp mentality in this country. It's been a vicious circle for decades.

Quote:
Now who is being foolishly presumptious, you would maybe be surprised.
Maybe. Maybe we're just both old coots

Quote:
I don't want a communist country, just a bit of empathy for those in need.
It sounds like you want a lot more than "a bit of empathy" - it sounds like you want the whole country to take care of others, even those who can't be bothered to take care of themselves/their families. Hopefully I just misunderstood.

Quote:
We should try to help the children & the elderly, after all isn't that what JESUS would do?
The religion forum is down the hall. Cmon - you seem the type willing to discuss this rationally; such a cheap trick I would hope is well beneath you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 03:12 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,238 times
4 out of 5 american children lack adequate parents.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:22 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Well duh. Look at all the plus sized adults. Do you think their children are going to do any better? I think not.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:56 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
While it is a moral thing to help those in need, is it the government's role, or should it remain with personal charity and our churches? I think the latter
And if charities or churches no longer have anything to give, then what? I guess the kids are S.O.L.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:19 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times
[quote=joey2000;13172367]
The elderly had a chance to do so when younger. As for kids, that's what parents are for.

PS: I hope you realize I am not saying never help those in need. Unlikes some others here (not saying you), I realize such absolutes are idiotic and you have to take the specific circumstances into account. But generally, I am no fan of the welfare/handout system or esp mentality in this country. It's been a vicious circle for decades.

Quote:
Maybe. Maybe we're just both old coots
Maybe

[quote]It sounds like you want a lot more than "a bit of empathy" - it sounds like you want the whole country to take care of others, even those who can't be bothered to take care of themselves/their families. Hopefully I just misunderstood. [quote]

No I don't want the entire country to take care of those who are just fat, lazy & milking the system however, I don't want to punish children or the elderly for mistakes that some idiots made that put them in a position to have to go without food. Personally, I don't care WHY someone is hungry, I just think we should help.

Quote:
The religion forum is down the hall. Cmon - you seem the type willing to discuss this rationally; such a cheap trick I would hope is well beneath you.
Sorry, maybe it was a bit cheap to use the 'WWJD' but, Im getting so old that I may get childish now & again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies