Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 02:08 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
saga, Christians are not starting these anti-gay threads. The issue keeps being brought up again and again by people who are trying to draw Christians into an argumnet about homosexuality. I suggest this thread and the other two started by this same individual, aren't an attempt to defend homosexuality nearly as much as they are an attempt to attack Christians.
The matter of the right to marriage is a current political issue. Are you surprised that it would come up in a forum titled Politics & Other Controversies? As for the OP, if you have followed the previous threads, you already know that she has not been treated with charity at every turn. I myself do not see a problem in her pointing that out, along with any ironies that might arise from it.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:14 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
you know man,alot of posters here who put down religion do so because they say religious people act high and mighty and judge others,which is exacty how you are acting,go figuire. If somebody can find happiness or hope without God,well good for them,I went years without thinking about God at all.Then at one point things led me in a direction to start,and I think I am better for it. So if religion can make someone have hope,humility and a greater love of life,it is not being weak,it is not crutch,why would you belittle it.If it helps a persons life,why would you deny it to them?
How many times should I post it? You and everyone else is welcome to whatever personal beliefs you find most comfortable. I do not seek to deny anything to anyone. But if you put those beliefs out in a public forum, or claim in such a venue that public policy implications flow from those personal beliefs, then you had best be prepared for issue to be taken with those ideas by those who very much do not share them.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:48 PM

179 posts, read 119,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
How can you decide that because people don't respond to your posts, Christians are a threat to society?
Because many Christians refuse to accept scientific evidence that the world is millions of years old and not 6,000.

Because Christians refuse to accept the many fossils, bones, and artificats which draw a clear correlation between us and a common ancestor.

Because Christians refuse to accept the notion of genetics, and the role it plays in human sexuality.

Because Christians are often very hypocritical; they like to pick and choose which verses they'll ignore (condoning raping virgins, theft, two threaded garments), and then cast stones at gays.

Because Christians look to infiltrate their beliefs into government; passing laws which limit or in the case of gays, completely deny them the same rights awarded to straight couples.

Because as we close in on the second decade of the 21st century, I see America falling behind while countries like China, India, and Japan are turning out highly intelligent individuals to the workforce, threating our economy.

We're falling behind because some insist on the antiquated, outdated, and whimsical teachings of the Bible of how things came to be. If you want to teach that/learn about that in your own private home or church, fine.

But to teach that nonsense in schools, as an "alternate viewpoint"? Scientists, physicists, and those who study the cosmos agree on how the universe and Earth came into existence. In the case of Earth, there is quantifiable evidence to support their claims - dinosaur bones (which there's no mention of in the Bible), rocks, and various fossils - which all suggest an Earth atleast 4 billion years old.

What evidence do creationists have to support their view that Earth is 6,000 years old? Other than the Bible (a book full of contradictions, perversions, and inaccuracies)?

I know it seems like I'm attacking Christians but I'm not. It's just amazing to me that someone in this day and age can take the word of a 3,000 year old book over numerous provable scientific evidence today.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
How many times should I post it? You and everyone else is welcome to whatever personal beliefs you find most comfortable. I do not seek to deny anything to anyone. But if you put those beliefs out in a public forum, or claim in such a venue that public policy implications flow from those personal beliefs, then you had best be prepared for issue to be taken with those ideas by those who very much do not share them.
I agee completely.

So in the minds of many Christian posters here, it's perfectly alright for them to "state their position" (more like state their hatred) of gays and any other group they may deem unacceptable, but let someone with opposing viewpoints of their religion state theirs, and all of a sudden "those with religious beliefs are under attack".

So hypocritical.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:55 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
I dont think im under attack at all, you just angry that I will NEVER change my viewpoint. Tell me Im ignorant, tell whatever, Id doesnt matter, its an easy choice for me..Ill chose what the Bible says!

Old 05-16-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelske View Post
...but being called ignorant, stupid, etc, etc, for ones private religious beliefs is appalling. The old bait and switch trickster preachers are at it again. We must not turn the other cheek...this time. And never tolerate bad and insulting behavior. Call it what it is. And it is a liar.
But being gay and being called perverted, mentally ill, and repulsive, etc, etc, for ones PRIVATE sexual preferences is appalling. To be denied the rights awarded to married straight couples because of a genetic and valid sexual preference is appalling. To be treated like second class citizens is appalling.

And, as many other marginalized groups in American society - blacks, Asians, Native Americans, etc - gays must NEVER tolerate bad and insulting behavior. Call it what it is...a hypocritical, brainwashed, old fashioned society getting left in the dust by nations like China, Japan, and India.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I dont think im under attack at all, you just angry that I will NEVER change my viewpoint. Tell me Im ignorant, tell whatever, Id doesnt matter, its an easy choice for me..Ill chose what the Bible says!
Great. You can "chose" what the Bible says all day and night, I really couldn't care less.

Just don't try and use your beliefs to influence laws that can limit the rights of any tax paying, law abiding American citizen.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:16 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,452,385 times
Quote:
I know it seems like I'm attacking Christians but I'm not.
It seems like it because you are. Once again, your post is full of inaccuracies about Christianity, but you do have some valid statements about it. Still, I struggle to see how this relates to the idea that such beliefs should cause you to fear for America. This belief system was even more widespread when our country rose to power. As we lose faith in these things, we seem to lose power.

Shouldn't the greater fear be a nation divided to the point that all citizens do is attack one another?

Quote:
Other than the Bible (a book full of contradictions, perversions, and inaccuracies)?
This is a highly opinionated statement, and I do believe you would be much better off stating it for what it is. Unless, of course, you're open to Christians stating their views as fact as well.

After reading several of your other posts, it seems that you are going through a highly emotional time, and are somehow just venting your feelings on this message board. I really don't want to take the time to point out the false statements you're making because it seems your agenda is a) to vent, and b) to attack other views. You exhibit no desire to actually understand Christianity (demonstrated through all the fallacy in your posts).

Old 05-16-2007, 03:31 PM

595 posts, read 2,344,444 times
Christianity is only bad when it comes to devaluing individual liberty and freedom, and is therefore anti American.
Leading by example but not forcing laws through is different and more preferred.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:50 PM

73 posts, read 202,293 times
Lightbulb God, Parent, & Teacher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay59 View Post
I'm afraid for America because I see a VERY ignorant society. I'm afraid for America because I see a hypocritial society; one that uses religion to condemn, but also has little understanding what's even in the very Bible they claim to live by.

A Bible which gives a very primitive and outdated explanation of life, the cosmos, Earth, and events. The fact that most Americans still choose to believe in what the Bible says is kind of frightening, especially in 2007.

I'm not trying to insult anyone with this thread, but it is something to think about. With this type of mass ignorance, I can only see negative affects on our society, affects that keep us behind, and hinder our understanding and love of eachother.
I firmly believe in God. That's the way I was brought-up.

My parent's, instilled within me all the qualities they deemed upright, ritious and moral. I suppose they recieved similiar lessons and guidence from their parents, and them from their parents before them. Thank God.

I am doing my utmost to continue this link, by instilling my children in the way of my parents and grand-parents, all synthisized for our changing world, but the very same priceless values. I sincerely hope that all good parents do the same.

Many lessons that were imparted by teachers, even way back in grade school still remain with me. Good lessons, simple ethical lessons, and faith. I gleaned many an insight from my high school teachers and college professors. I often discuss with my children various values that they bring home, either from friends, or various teachers, or other role-models. I ensure my values that I firmly believe in, are contrasted, and many-a-time ironed into any "foreign policy", brought into the home.

All in all, I firmly believe in the values I was brought up with. Eternal values.

As much as I, and I simply speak for myself, but honestly suspect the truth being the same for everybody, as much as I read of different "core" values, and new wordly trends encircling the world, I always compare them to what I know to be the truths of my upbringing, and approach these "other" beliefs in that vain.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies