Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 12:48 PM

199 posts, read 216,847 times

Advertisements

Is United States a shining beacon in the world?

Since 1946, US foreign policy resulted in the following:

1. 40+ attempts (successful and failed) to overthrow legitimate governments*
2. 30 populist movements against dictators supported by US,
3. 20+ assassinations
4. Millions of dead and millions suffered under the aid of US bombs, planes, guns, and money. All paid for by US taxpayers.

*These legitimate governments included those who are democratically elected leaders trying to bring their people out of poverty. The puppet replacement are military officers trained by US/CIA in torture, espionage, and other tactics that would be deemed despicable.

Examples.

Iran, Mohammed Mossadegh, replaced by Reza Pahlavi.

Indonesia, Sukarno assassinated and replaced by Suharto.

Chile, Salvador Allende replaced by Pinochet.

Guatemala, Jacobo Arbenz replaced by Castillo Armas.

The former of each example are democratically elected leaders trying to bring their countrymen out of poverty. The latter are US-backed dictators who went on to torture and kill their own people. Suharto's reign resulted in 500,000 death, supported by US. Pinochet had concentration camps, supported by US.

More examples of ruthless dictators supported by US in money and guns:

Mobutu, Trujillo, Saddam Hussein, Fuentes, Batista, Noriega, Videla, Somoza, Banzer, Stroessner, Sadat, Mubarak.

All of this was done under the mythical euphemism of bringing "democracy, freedom, and liberty".

In light of all this history and current events, is United States a shining beacon in the world? Sadly, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 02:05 PM

199 posts, read 216,847 times
Hmm..... no comments? Surely somebody can defend the notion that United State is a shining beacon in the world?

Old 11-24-2009, 02:10 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clue View Post
Hmm..... no comments? Surely somebody can defend the notion that United State is a shining beacon in the world?
There are a number of America haters here and that may be the reason you haven't seen any of them agree with you. Really, I think that I have brought in some of them for you by taking part.

Why do so many people sneak in here when we are allowing more legal immigrants than ever before? Is it because we are such a nasty place to be from?

Old 11-24-2009, 02:17 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,146 times
I had to look that up for curiosity sake. Seems like it's the economy slowing immigration and not hatred. Not making a statement about hatred. I'll leave that to the media.

Bad economy forcing immigrants to reconsider U.S. - CNN.com

Nielsen | Below The Topline: The Recession & Declining Immigration (http://en-us.nielsen.com/main/insights/consumer_insight/september_2009/the_recession_and - broken link)

Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 PM
KoT

103 posts, read 186,631 times
I think maybe the silence of the thread is the answer. People aren't sure anymore.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:29 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,831 times
There are still more applicants for H1B's than we fill. If we lifted our visa limit for skilled workers millions would pour into the US. Many of you would be working for them inside of five years. Fact.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:38 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clue View Post
Is United States a shining beacon in the world?

Since 1946, US foreign policy resulted in the following:

1. 40+ attempts (successful and failed) to overthrow legitimate governments*
2. 30 populist movements against dictators supported by US,
3. 20+ assassinations
4. Millions of dead and millions suffered under the aid of US bombs, planes, guns, and money. All paid for by US taxpayers.

*These legitimate governments included those who are democratically elected leaders trying to bring their people out of poverty. The puppet replacement are military officers trained by US/CIA in torture, espionage, and other tactics that would be deemed despicable.

Examples.

Iran, Mohammed Mossadegh, replaced by Reza Pahlavi.

Indonesia, Sukarno assassinated and replaced by Suharto.

Chile, Salvador Allende replaced by Pinochet.

Guatemala, Jacobo Arbenz replaced by Castillo Armas.

The former of each example are democratically elected leaders trying to bring their countrymen out of poverty. The latter are US-backed dictators who went on to torture and kill their own people. Suharto's reign resulted in 500,000 death, supported by US. Pinochet had concentration camps, supported by US.

More examples of ruthless dictators supported by US in money and guns:

Mobutu, Trujillo, Saddam Hussein, Fuentes, Batista, Noriega, Videla, Somoza, Banzer, Stroessner, Sadat, Mubarak.

All of this was done under the mythical euphemism of bringing "democracy, freedom, and liberty".

In light of all this history and current events, is United States a shining beacon in the world? Sadly, no.
The better question is...

Are any of the nations you listed above "shining beacons of light" in the world either? Before or after US involvement? I tend to think they're all still nations with sham governments, "banana republic" autocracies and rip off artists running their so-called legitimate nations.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:38 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
Some hate us some don't. It seems that we're enough of a beacon that people still line up, and cut in line, to get here.

The offenses you mention have some good and some bad, which is the history of most countries because we're made up of humans. For example, you point out populist movements against dictators. Yes, the dictators don't like that, but for people trying to get out from under a dictatorship, those are examples of why the US is a beacon. When you have the courage to pick a side, you make enemies, but you also make friends.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:40 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,806 times
Name a single other country that has the level of immigration (both legal and otherwise) that we have here. As for why foreigners hate the US, it is because they think we have too much and aren't "sharing the wealth". I do concede that most Americans are a tad bit arogant about who we are and what we have but that has been our nature since the early days of our country's history. We know we are great and that we have the best overall standard of living in the world and very few of us would wish to live any where else. I lived in Venezuela for 12 years and saw first-hand what life was like for non-Americans and never for a moment did I want to live any place other than my country of birth. We aren't perfect by any means but we are the most generous people on the planet - who shows up first in times of disasters any where in the world? We have shared our riches with no expectation of ever being compensated for them and we have made a place for millions of (legal) immigrants over the years and shared our second-to-none way of life with them. We Americans think we're the best and ya know what? - we are. We're far from perfect but I wouldn't want to be anyone in second place.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:06 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,464,867 times
I am not from the USA and do not live in your country. However, have visited the USA several times.
I think I can give you some insight as to why many people do not like the USA.
Attention: This is what most people who live here think about the US, not necessary what I think.

What people do not like about the US:

- The former president and his "You're either with us or against us"-mentality

- Like the OP mentioned the support of dictators and murderers in the past

- American news media basically only covers whatevers happens in the USA and therefore some Americans are pretty clueless what is going on in the world (I have seen and read american media)

- The "We are the Number One" mentality which btw is very outdated since Europe has caught up in wealth and living standards

- The crazy religious fanatics

- The lack of culture ( Paris Hilton is more famous than people with real talent)

- sounds mean, but the obesity of american people is quite disgusting ( you are nr.1 in the world when it comes to obesity)

- Some pay more attention to rodeo clowns like Glenn Beck than to truely intelligent people

- The disgusting frat boys culture

etc.

I think the USA is a beautiful country btw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies