Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 04:39 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times

Advertisements

Sick-bags at the ready: The New York Times gushes over the Obamas’ state dinner – Telegraph Blogs
Sick-bags at the ready: The New York Times gushes over the Obamas' state dinner

If you’re feeling queasy, look away now. The New York Times scales new heights of sycophancy in its report of the White House state dinner last night, which by their account was the most charming, imaginative, glittering – yet tasteful! – social event since Jackie Kennedy was Queen of Camelot. Indeed, it may even have surpassed Jackie’s standards, since Barack and Michelle added a deeply appropriate and thoughtful element of multiculturalism to the glamorous proceedings. And the decorative magnolia branches, I’m relieved to report, were “sustainably harvested”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 04:46 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times

The story was a little flowery, but sycophants? It was a report. It described the event. I'm at a loss as to what the author sees in that story to call it "new heights of sycophancy." The author probably should have a sick-bag at the ready, as he was obviously drunk when he wrote it.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:52 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post

The story was a little flowery, but sycophants? It was a report. It described the event. I'm at a loss as to what the author sees in that story to call it "new heights of sycophancy." The author probably should have a sick-bag at the ready, as he was obviously drunk when he wrote it.
To say it was a little flowery is like saying a Rolls Royce is a little fancy. This level of writing goes beyond describing a fancy dinner party and into the relm of being a full blown lap dog for the president complete with brown stains on the nose and lips.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
To say it was a little flowery is like saying a Rolls Royce is a little fancy. This level of writing goes beyond describing a fancy dinner party and into the relm of being a full blown lap dog for the president complete with brown stains on the nose and lips.
That's your opinion. Perhaps your opinion is biased. The Times report is garden variety. It reported facts. Please explain to me how reporting facts is seen as "new heights of sycophancy?"

Just point out what you're seeing, 'cause I ain't seeing it.

Last edited by nvxplorer; 11-27-2009 at 05:33 AM..

Old 11-27-2009, 05:02 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Sick-bags at the ready: The New York Times gushes over the Obamas’ state dinner – Telegraph Blogs
Sick-bags at the ready: The New York Times gushes over the Obamas' state dinner

If you’re feeling queasy, look away now. The New York Times scales new heights of sycophancy in its report of the White House state dinner last night, which by their account was the most charming, imaginative, glittering – yet tasteful! – social event since Jackie Kennedy was Queen of Camelot. Indeed, it may even have surpassed Jackie’s standards, since Barack and Michelle added a deeply appropriate and thoughtful element of multiculturalism to the glamorous proceedings. And the decorative magnolia branches, I’m relieved to report, were “sustainably harvested”.
I doubt you would see any thing else from the NY times which is still loss in Camelot fraud of the JFK era.But we hoiw know what they didn;t report then;don't we about even the idea marriage he had.He tuend out to be the poster child for cheating husbands.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:07 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Another thread for the CD Joke Wall. Social events at the White House, and particularly state dinners, are routinely reported in such detail by the media and have been since long before anyone can remember.

Quality control over at the faux-outrage manufacturing plant really should have flagged this story...it's a little too ridiculous even by their own very low standards...

Old 11-27-2009, 05:12 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I doubt you would see any thing else from the NY times which is still loss in Camelot fraud of the JFK era.But we hoiw know what they didn;t report then;don't we about even the idea marriage he had.He tuend out to be the poster child for cheating husbands.

Uh, look again. The mention of Camelot appears to be the mention of the Brit blogger, not the NY Times.

Why not save yourself some time and effort, instead of searching out blather by Brit bloggers why not just a simple post saying everything Obama does is wrong?

Old 11-27-2009, 05:15 AM

366 posts, read 297,410 times
Quote:
Mrs. Obama made a splash by showcasing deep, rich colors — apple green for the tablecloths and varying shades of plum, purple and fuchsia in the hydrangea, roses and sweet peas in the centerpieces.
With so many people suffering right now, I think it sucks that the media glamorizes this crap. I realize that it has been done for decades, but it is time for it to stop.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_food View Post
With so many people suffering right now, I think it sucks that the media glamorizes this crap. I realize that it has been done for decades, but it is time for it to stop.
Describing a color scheme is not glamorizing.

There's also that little fact of life that there will always be people suffering. Should we all live like paupers because people are always suffering? I've never understood such a line of reasoning.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:30 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
have sick-bags at the ready
Why? Is Newsweek going to put a picture of Hillary Clinton in a sexy outfit to counter the Palin photo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies