Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 09:59 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Oh well. It works quite good.
proof??? sources??? i posted data showing it does not work at all

Last edited by organick; 12-06-2009 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 10:23 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
but you just said you were waiting, so others were there, with your purse wide open?
I was the only one at that counter. The sales clerk were helping some customer across the store. Nobody else were there. The couple that came in walked up right next to me. My handbag was as close to them as it was to me.
And are you always this naive?

Old 12-06-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
do you live in america in 2009 or are you posting from time travel in 1932??

I do not think that people should not be at certain areas. All I am saying is that if a all black neighborhood suddenly one day get a lonely white guy randomly strolling around on the streets, then it is likely he is looking for more then just sightseeing? Same goes the other way around.
If a white male is driving up and down parts of Lamar Ave in Memphis, then it is very likely he is looking to pick up prostitutes. But then again, maybe he is just lost. If the person doesn't "fit in" then maybe it is a good chance he is up to no good. DOesn't mean it has to be that way. But often, that is the case.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 12-06-2009 at 10:35 PM..

Old 12-06-2009, 10:29 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:
First off its not ok. Your rights are violated. Giving up rights is not ok either. Secondly it is ineffective. read the article I posted earlier showing examples of how when profiling stopped actual catching of criminals increased. I've been stopped 2 times in the past and been asked to search my car because at time I have had a "hippie" look to me and the cops think I have drugs. I dont. But i still sat on the side of the road for 2 hours one time while they got a warrant to search and found nothing, talke about pissed cops. I could have just consented because they would have looked and let me go in 10 minutes . You see asserting your rights is what keeps them around. If it ever happens again I'll do the same thing but next time I'll file a federal lawsuit as a matter of principle to remind cops of the laws they swore to uphold.

If you ignore your rights they will no longer protect you when you need them
It's really good that you were patient enough to make them go through the process of getting a warrant. I hope they learned something. I'm sure that they thought that your insistence on a warrant proved you were guilty, somehow. When they found out otherwise, they must have felt really, really stupid. I hope that that somewhat humiliating experience made them think twice before doing it again.

Even though I'm white, I had something kind of similar happen to me. I've read about the Panthers, and I know their basic strategy at first was to observe police activities from a legal distance and basically speak freely about what they saw. Without my planning on it, I came across a situation where I saw two white cops seemingly harassing a bunch of brown people in a car. From a distance of about 20 feet, I said, "why did you pull these people over?" One of them said, "this is none of your business--you could be arrested for impeding an investigation." I said, "is this an investigation?" He said, "wait." He let the people go, and then he said, "you should be careful about talking to police when they are on police business." I said, "why?" He said, "you could get arrested." I said, "if your job is to increase public safety, then I don't know why arresting me would do any good, because I have the same goal as you do." You can imagine the rest of that conversation.

Later, that same cop (with the same partner) pulled me over. In my ashtray were two cigarettes that I had rolled myself--they could have been joints. When he saw them, he asked me to step out of the car. I told him they were just tobacco. He told me to shut up and put my hands behind my back. I asked him to at least Mirandize me--he cuffed me anyway. I weigh 100 pounds soaking wet--what could I do? His partner picked up the butts, smelled them, looked at the other guy, and said, "it's just tobacco." The other guy took the cuffs off of me and my companion, who is now my boyfriend, and let us go.

I called the department the next day to complain. The real story was that in Texas that year, 1999, there was such a shortage of city cops in Austin that they pulled in highway patrolmen to fill in. They didn't have time to train them yet. The chief was very apologetic, so I decided to let it go. I gave him the time and place of the stop, and he said he would talk to that officer, admitting that he had a pretty good idea who it was already.

End of story--this is serious, and everyone should care.

And thank you, organick, for making the police do their job right.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Without my planning on it, I came across a situation where I saw two white cops seemingly harassing a bunch of brown people in a car. From a distance of about 20 feet, I said, "why did you pull these people over?" One of them said, "this is none of your business--you could be arrested for impeding an investigation." I said, "is this an investigation?" He said, "wait." He let the people go, and then he said, "you should be careful about talking to police when they are on police business." I said, "why?" He said, "you could get arrested." I said, "if your job is to increase public safety, then I don't know why arresting me would do any good, because I have the same goal as you do." You can imagine the rest of that conversation.

Later, that same cop (with the same partner) pulled me over. In my ashtray were two cigarettes that I had rolled myself--they could have been joints. When he saw them, he asked me to step out of the car. I told him they were just tobacco. He told me to shut up and put my hands behind my back. I asked him to at least Mirandize me--he cuffed me anyway. I weigh 100 pounds soaking wet--what could I do? His partner picked up the butts, smelled them, looked at the other guy, and said, "it's just tobacco." The other guy took the cuffs off of me and my companion, who is now my boyfriend, and let us go.

I called the department the next day to complain. The real story was that in Texas that year, 1999, there was such a shortage of city cops in Austin that they pulled in highway patrolmen to fill in. They didn't have time to train them yet. The chief was very apologetic, so I decided to let it go. I gave him the time and place of the stop, and he said he would talk to that officer, admitting that he had a pretty good idea who it was already.

End of story--this is serious, and everyone should care.

And thank you, organick, for making the police do their job right.
So did you assume that they were harassing the other drivers in the other car or did you know for a fact? Do you usually interfere with police-work? Do you always argue with the police when they pull you over. Lets pretend that you were a cop that pulled over a gal like yourself, and you saw two rolled cigarettes that could be joints. What would you do?
And FYI, what does you weight has to do with anything?

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 12-06-2009 at 10:52 PM..

Old 12-06-2009, 11:19 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So did you assume that they were harassing the other drivers in the other car or did you know for a fact? Do you usually interfere with police-work? Do you always argue with the police when they pull you over. Lets pretend that you were a cop that pulled over a gal like yourself, and you saw two rolled cigarettes that could be joints. What would you do?
And FYI, what does you weight has to do with anything?
I didn't know if there was a reason to be suspicious. I was walking back to my car after hanging out with friends, and things didn't feel right to me. That's why I asked. I was well within my rights to do so. I asked because I generally live by the principle that we all need to be looking out for each other all the time. I am not selfish. I worry about more people than just me.

If I pulled people over that had what appeared to be joints in their car, I would have investigated before handcuffing. I included my weight because it is a significant detail. I remember what I was wearing. It was a knit dress and sandals, and I chose that outfit because my date and I were going out dancing--it's virtually impossible to conceal a weapon while dressed like that. I left my purse in the car. Handcuffing me was overkill to an extreme degree. What was I going to do, suddenly develop super powers and overcome two people whose weight literally was three or four times what mine was? That whole experience was worthy of ridicule, which is why I am ridiculing it here.

If I haven't answered all your questions, please let me know.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:41 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
I do not think that people should not be at certain areas.
My brother and his family live in Murphy, TX. To my knowledge they are the only black family in their division so I guess if I ever go there I will probably get pulled over because I don't belong there.

I currently live in a predominantly black area; so I guess I should warn my non-black friends that they'll probably be pulled over because they don't belong there.

Come on, I don't think anyone with common sense is talking about someone randomly driving around in the middle of the projects....but how you can you say I don't belong in a white neighborhood just because I'm not white? I guess I also shouldn’t go to certain restaurants, or colleges, or other arenas that are predominantly white because as a black person I don’t belong there ….gee why does that sound familiar to me?

Old 12-07-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
My brother and his family live in Murphy, TX. To my knowledge they are the only black family in their division so I guess if I ever go there I will probably get pulled over because I don't belong there.

I currently live in a predominantly black area; so I guess I should warn my non-black friends that they'll probably be pulled over because they don't belong there.

Come on, I don't think anyone with common sense is talking about someone randomly driving around in the middle of the projects....but how you can you say I don't belong in a white neighborhood just because I'm not white? I guess I also shouldn’t go to certain restaurants, or colleges, or other arenas that are predominantly white because as a black person I don’t belong there ….gee why does that sound familiar to me?
I do not think that people should not be at certain areas

Old 12-07-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I didn't know if there was a reason to be suspicious. I was walking back to my car after hanging out with friends, and things didn't feel right to me. That's why I asked. I was well within my rights to do so. I asked because I generally live by the principle that we all need to be looking out for each other all the time. I am not selfish. I worry about more people than just me.

If I pulled people over that had what appeared to be joints in their car, I would have investigated before handcuffing. I included my weight because it is a significant detail. I remember what I was wearing. It was a knit dress and sandals, and I chose that outfit because my date and I were going out dancing--it's virtually impossible to conceal a weapon while dressed like that. I left my purse in the car. Handcuffing me was overkill to an extreme degree. What was I going to do, suddenly develop super powers and overcome two people whose weight literally was three or four times what mine was? That whole experience was worthy of ridicule, which is why I am ridiculing it here.

If I haven't answered all your questions, please let me know.
I doubt they weigh 300- 400 pounds?

Anyways, maybe they were handling the situation as they were trained. I have seen women wearing less then what you did going absolute crazy. Handcuffs is a tool they use to make sure that you are not going to do something stupid. Cops deal with crap all day long and just because you look innocent doesn't mean that you are. (a profiling thing again, I guess )

Now, I believe you when you say you only had good intentions, but those officers don't know that. They can never be to careful.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:54 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,553 times
Quote:
Ido not think that people should not be at certain areas
Some people fail at reading comprehension
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies