Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 07:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Honestly, Kev, I question some of your threads. How can you even equate the practices of a country like Uganda, basically a third world country, with that of the USA? Can't you present some intelligent thread worthy of debate?
I am simply asking a question. Since another country may soon have such a law (Uganda) and since at least some people in this country advocated for that law and since that law requires extradition, IF the country of Uganda issues an extradition request, do you feel we should honour that request or tell Uganda to go to Hell? My view is the latter BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 07:47 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The country of Uganda is considering a law that will apply the death penalty to people who engage in acts of homosexuality. Many Republican Christians in this country are in favour of these laws.
One part of the new law states that, not only does it apply to all acts of homosexuality in Uganda itself, whether committed by a foreigner or a citizen BUT the law also applies to ALL citizens of Uganda no matter WHERE they reside in the world. The law says they shall be EXTRADITED to Uganda to face a possible death sentence. So if 2 homosexuals have a rump romp here in the USA and one of them is from Uganda and the government of Uganda request we extradite that homosexual to face possible death, should the United States honour that request?

Uganda considers death sentence for gay sex in bill before parliament | World news | The Guardian
The article I read mentioned three or four CHRISTIAN organizations that have been stirring the pot there against Gay people in Uganda. It makes me SICK.
This particular KIND of christian is looking more and more like the Nazis.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I guess Uganda has not recovered from Ide Amin. The politicians do not have any respect for Human Rights and the pro population growth (just what a starving country really needs) Kristian Klergy thinks killing people with different mores is blessed by God but requires secular enforcement.

Nice to know the United States does not have a monopoly on bigoted, hateful religious fanatics.
Although we have way more of them than we should, the USA is pretty far down the list when it comes to religious nutcases. The middle east makes us look pretty mild.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:51 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,766 times
I don't know where the OP has been, but the Third World has been executing people on the grounds of homosexual orientation forever. The world will forever remember apartheid, but when it comes to executing people on the grounds of sexual orientation, the world media turns a blind eye.

Just the idea of this kind of irrational, hysterical reaction to homosexuality is indication in itself of the dimented mind set when it comes to something as simple as having a mate of the same gender.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Another interesting KevK thread.

I've never met anyone who thinks like this. Not once. I'm not sure who they "many republican Christians" are you refer to. There are many who may not approve of homosexuality that would never advocate harming them.

I can think of other political reasons for laws like these. The US would grant political amnesty to two homos who would face the death penalty at home. Uganda passes the law, and half the nation is suddenly gay tourists in the US.
I think the Obama administration MIGHT grant amnesty in a such a case. I doubt that Bush would have. The USA is extremely hard about letting in political cases. Much easier for them to get into Canada.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:56 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
I don't know where the OP has been, but the Third World has been executing people on the grounds of homosexual orientation forever. The world will forever remember apartheid, but when it comes to executing people on the grounds of sexual orientation, the world media turns a blind eye.
It's a combination of homophobia and a lack of empathy. It's difficult for a lot of heterosexual people to get past the "eww factor". It's much easier to ignore the issue than to think about it.

I think gay groups would score points with heterosexual men by producing ad campaigns featuring groups of hot women kissing and having sex with each other. The sexual orientation of the women doesn't matter much - just show hot girls and slap text on the ad that says, "Gay Equality Now!" and I bet it would change the minds of millions of heterosexual men.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:59 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I think the Obama administration MIGHT grant amnesty in a such a case. I doubt that Bush would have. The USA is extremely hard about letting in political cases. Much easier for them to get into Canada.
Extremely hard about letting in political cases?? Really? Are you aware of the Islamic Sudanese and Somali refugees that have been coming here? Often, never adapting to our society, hating our culture and way of life, and joining Al qaeda....think its an exageration? Think again...

What about all the refugees from West Africa, and Guatamala?

Old 12-02-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
This has been in the news lately. You're right - it's not always easy to confirm that someone is gay.

It's impossible to know exactly how many individuals have sought and gained asylum based specifically on sexual orientation because the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services doesn't separate its figures by category. When contacted by NEWSWEEK, a media-relations manager at the agency said that the bureau doesn't have the right computer software to break down the reasons why people are seeking asylum. Nonetheless, anecdotal evidence suggests that the number of people applying for asylum based on sexual orientation may be increasing.

Are More Gays, Lesbians Seeking Asylum in U.S.? | Newsweek National News | Newsweek.com
It is kind of funny when you think about homosexuals from Africa, Jamaica and South America seeking asylum in the USA while homosexual in the USA are seeking- and getting- asylum in Canada for the persecution they face in the USA!
Lesbian U.S. soldier wins bid for asylum

Old 12-02-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
What the hell? Which particular American Republicans are promoting death to gays? That is absurd.
It's unlikely at this point that anything can be done to stop Ugandan leaders from passing the Anti-Homosexuality Law. According to Rice's report, LGBT Ugandans are already making plans to leave the country.

But the involvement of the U.S.'s elected representatives and evangelists should not be ignored. Human Rights Watch has condemend the bill as threatening basic human liberties and human rights defenders in Uganda, as well as progress on the eradication of HIV/AIDS in the region.

Uganda anti-gay bill supported by US Congressmen and Evangelists

Old 12-02-2009, 08:07 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I would argue that some Christians have a victim mentality. Christians are clearly in the majority in the U.S., but still, they believe they're being oppressed.
I specifically stated this forum not the US! Read anyone of the zillion threads bashing Christianity on here and you will see the truth of my statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies