Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should president Obama and Congress focus more on expanding our manufacturing base?
Yes 4 80.00%
No 0 0%
Maybe 1 20.00%
I'm not sure 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 04:28 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times

Advertisements

Leo W. Gerard: Some Jobs Taxpayers Don't Need to Buy

Quote:
There are ways to create jobs that don't have to be bought. One is to enforce and strengthen trade policy. Chicken Littles all over this country ran around screaming, "A trade war is coming! A trade war is coming!" in September when President Obama enforced trade law by imposing tariffs on Chinese tires being dumped in this country. That flood of Chinese tires had cost 5,000 American workers their jobs.
The Chicken Littles, always wrong, were mistaken about a trade war. China never engaged in one. And now, Cooper Tire has announced a $10 million expansion of its Findlay plant, creating 100 new jobs, and tire factories across the country have increased hours.
By contrast, a paper company, NewPage, filed a trade case in 2006 seeking protection against Chinese and Indonesian dumping of coated paper, the heavy kind used in brochures and annual reports. The Commerce Department found egregious dumping, but later the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) refused to impose sanctions because it decided the U.S. industry hadn't been injured.
Now, three years later, the United Steelworkers union has joined NewPage and two other paper companies in filing for another trade case regarding coated paper. Perhaps since 7,000 U.S. paper workers have lost their jobs, the ITC will see injury to the American industry.
But here's the thing: Why do American workers and industries have to suffer? Our trade laws should be strong enough to prevent that injury in the first place. And that doesn't cost a dime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 04:32 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Bring back import Tariffs and make them sky high!!

Tax all outsourcing!! to make it cheaper to use Americans!!

Old 12-04-2009, 04:37 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
This country is quickly becoming a country with two types of employment. Technical jobs, and service industry jobs. The fact of the matter is, until our employment costs drop, and the sense of entitlement that American workers have for their pay decreases, its much more cost effective to pay a Mexican or a Chinaman to put a part on a board, or put a bolt on a nut, for 10 dollars a day, instead of 10 dollars an hour.

People expect to much money for jobs that require no more knowledge then how to walk.

And before someone calls me an eliteist, I worked in factories, I did manual labor for several years. I just got an chance to better myself, went to school, got a good techincal job, and earned my money.

I got a job starting at 18 dollars an hour. There were people at Delphi in Detroit making 75 dollars an hour to put a chip on a board, to be soldered by a robot. Nucking Futts!!!

Old 12-04-2009, 04:54 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,954,159 times
[quote=Memphis1979;11892673]
Quote:
This country is quickly becoming a country with two types of employment. Technical jobs, and service industry jobs.
This WAS the case 10 years ago.
Today.....neither technical jobs or service industry jobs are to be found in large numbers.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is, until our employment costs drop, and the sense of entitlement that American workers have for their pay decreases, its much more cost effective to pay a Mexican or a Chinaman to put a part on a board, or put a bolt on a nut, for 10 dollars a day, instead of 10 dollars an hour.
It's all about that big profit margin and the bottom line, 'ya know?

Quote:
People expect to much money for jobs that require no more knowledge then how to walk.
Again....this WAS true but less so with each day in times like these.

And before someone calls me an eliteist, I worked in factories, I did manual labor for several years. I just got an chance to better myself, went to school, got a good techincal job, and earned my money.

Quote:
I got a job starting at 18 dollars an hour. There were people at Delphi in Detroit making 75 dollars an hour to put a chip on a board, to be soldered by a robot. Nucking Futts!!![/
quote]

Ever heard of a thing called a union?
UAW?
Previous financial troubles with American automakers?
Lee Iacoca?
Chrysler?
Lucent Technologies?

But hey.......NOBODY considered bailing out Chrysler back in the day....in the way the Govt. has bailed out the auto industry and soooo much more THIS time around.
It's like WOW!
Can you say......Govt. CONTROL?!

Cash for Clunkers REALLY makes me wonder WHAT their idea of HC reform would truly be like....if they pass it.

Since they don't mind printing worthless money to cover the costs.....maybe they'll be happy when I pay for my optional health insurance with Monopoly money or just write them an IOU like they do in California.
What's good for the goose....is GOOD for ALL.
Squeezing blood out of turnips has never been easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies