Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:24 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Employers should be able to hire those they desire. They should also have the right to establish companies policies regarding dress codes, hair length, hygiene etc
They can do all of those - and will be able to continue to do so when ENDA is passed. Since none of the things you mentioned pertains to sexual orientation, they will not be affected by this law. The only 'hiring practice' that would be affected is when an employer uses sexual orientation as a measure.

Last edited by MsMcQ LV; 12-02-2009 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: additional comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 11:25 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I'm glad to live in Maine where the common sense of the citizenry reversed a gay marriage law that was shoved down our throats. Some people understand that we do not have to change every law we have on the books to accomodate a few people who choose to live the way they do.
This has nothing to do with the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
wow, you sound like a very educated, well-adjusted, rational individual.
I disagree.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:26 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
If people want to be gay please do it at home. I don't want straight people broadcasting if , when and what sex acts please them . People just need to go to work and work .
What about all the "people persons"?

What are THEY supposed to do at work?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:29 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Employers should be able to hire those they desire. They should also have the right to establish companies policies regarding dress codes, hair length, hygiene etc

Not if they are corporations!

Corporations do not have unalienable rights - only civil rights.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:31 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
What is wrong w/you people? This disallows discrimination based on sexual orientation, as in you could NOT fire someone simply because they are gay. You realize that people are protected based on what religion they practice, yes? Yet you think it's ok to fire someone based on who they have sex with......seriously, I don't know what happened to some of you when you were growing up but I feel sorry for you.
Anyone know of anyone in the private sector who was fired simply because they were gay? I certainly don't.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:34 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,673,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
wow, you sound like a very educated, well-adjusted, rational individual.

glad you vote...
You don't and I'll bet you vote!! You just offended 53% of the voters in my state.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:34 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Anyone know of anyone in the private sector who was fired simply because they were gay? I certainly don't.
Well that's good that you don't, however do you know that for sure? Based on the responses on this thread alone I can see there are people out there who would fire someone based on their sexual orientation. I believe that should be illegal, don't you?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:37 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,454,806 times
^
..the old "this law is unecessary" argument.

But, yeah, there are going to have to be some examples here to help sell the law. They did this in Louisville when they passed their anti-discrimination law.

Quote:
Do you know of a case in the public sector?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:37 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Well that's good that you don't, however do you know that for sure? Based on the responses on this thread alone I can see there are people out there who would fire someone based on their sexual orientation. I believe that should be illegal, don't you?
I believe that legislation that targets a specific lifestyle is going overboard. Let's be honest here. The chances of being fired because you're gay is slim to none. As a small business owner, I can assure you that if I don't like you, I will find one of a hundred different ways to get rid of you, no matter if you like men, women, or animals.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:38 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Right wing conservatives never do this issue justice. They exaggerate these issues by claiming the situation is equivalent to an employer being forced to hiring some loud cross dressing transvestite that disrupts the office as if they are forced to hiring Rupaul. Of course if you depict it like that, it does seem unfair to the employer but we know that isn't the case. The reality is an educated and professional gay employee is not going to come to work flaming. They are not going to be hitting on their fellow employees and be loud and obnoxious like in the movies. First of all, if he or she was that way, they probably wouldn't get hired. Even a transvestite is not going to come to work cross dressed. They might do that at home but at work they will be professional.

Laws like this are designed to protect people against those who would discriminate against them for their status regardless of how they function in the work place. For example, an employer might detest gays and homosexuals. He might have an employee who is not openly gay but then learns he is gay through the grapevine and then decides to fire him despite that gay employee doing an excellent job and carrying himself professionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies