Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:38 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

"They literally said to me that because of my orientation and my 'alternative lifestyle' that I was not a fit for the hotel," said David Hill, formerly the director of human resources for the former Brentwood Holiday Inn.

PageOneQ | Man fired for being gay dared by former boss to sue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 02:39 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,647 times
Well, that's that I guess, hey?

Old 12-02-2009, 02:39 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
If people want to be gay please do it at home. I don't want straight people broadcasting if , when and what sex acts please them . People just need to go to work and work .
"These claims are ridiculous. Despite what Price says, the legislation would not force anyone to be hired. It would only mean that it would be illegal 'to fire, refuse to hire, or fail to promote employees simply based on sexual orientation,' as it is currently illegal to do in cases of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. Additionally, as the Human Rights Campaign points out, current ENDA legislation 'exempts small businesses, religious organizations and the military.'” - OP

Old 12-02-2009, 02:40 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
"You're G/L/B/T, so you're fired."

I don't believe it.

Florida Transsexual Fired from One Job, Denied New One - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Old 12-02-2009, 02:41 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
If people want to be gay please do it at home. I don't want straight people broadcasting if , when and what sex acts please them . People just need to go to work and work .
I don't think a persons sexual preferance should be reason for hiring or firing, I do think cross dressing should remain in places other than the work place. You know, if people would just keep their sexual attitudes to themselves, there wouldn't be all these problems. Heterosexuals do not share their lives with the world and gays do not need to either. Although I would hate to return to the days when anything other than what was considered main stream had to remain in the closet, maybe some of that was good.

Nita

Old 12-02-2009, 02:43 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
"You're G/L/B/T, so you're fired."

I don't believe it.

Transsexual sues NYC Parks Department over firing

Where'd the DC Space Man go?

Did he cry 'uncle'?

Old 12-02-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
How ignorant. I don't know anybody who "broadcasts" their sex acts at work. All it take to identify someone's orientation is to hear him or her talk about his friends, boyfriends/girlfriends, husbands/wives, etc.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:50 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree, what goes on behind closed doors should stay behind closed doors. If one is straight or gay does not even need to be discussed in any way, at anytime in the work force.

Nita
Ah, the old don't-ask-don't-tell. Don't ever mention your spouse or significant other because that will tip off your sexual orientation. Don't become friends with co-workers because you will reveal something about yourself that will tip off your sexual orientation. No personal talk, just work.

Or are you one of those people who think that being gay is only about what goes on in the bedroom? That the only way one might reveal one's gayness is by talking about sex acts? Perhaps you should stop thinking about what people do in the privacy of their bedrooms and start accepting that gays are pretty much like anyone else with jobs like anyone else.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Ah, the old don't-ask-don't-tell. Don't ever mention your spouse or significant other because that will tip off your sexual orientation. Don't become friends with co-workers because you will reveal something about yourself that will tip off your sexual orientation. No personal talk, just work.

Or are you one of those people who think that being gay is only about what goes on in the bedroom? That the only way one might reveal one's gayness is by talking about sex acts. Perhaps you should stop thinking about what people do in the privacy of their bedrooms and start accepting that gays are pretty much like anyone else with jobs like anyone else.
Some people just can't stand to acknowledge that anti-gay discrimination exists in the world. I can't help but think that they're anti-gay themselves, but they're unable to admit it.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:23 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,454,392 times
Republished from LEO (Louisville Eccentric Observer) on the occasion of the the 10th anniversary of the gay rights ordnance in Louisville/Jefferson County KY:

Diane Moten’s voice cracks and tears stream down her face as she recalls that cold January evening outside City Hall in 1999, as she waited to learn whether the Louisville Board of Alderman would pass the Fairness Ordinance.

Almost eight years earlier, a co-worker at the daycare center where Moten worked asked why she never mentioned having a boyfriend. In response, Moten was unashamedly honest, saying she is a lesbian.

In the coming days Moten began to notice co-workers staring and whispering. Three weeks later, she was fired — the daycare supervisor said Moten couldn’t be trusted around kids.

“They said gather your stuff and get what you need,” she says. “I lost my job because I was gay.”

..and...

What helped push the Fairness Ordinance over the hump in Louisville were compelling stories of discrimination, which poked the conscience of city officials, says state Rep. Reginald Meeks, who voted for the ordinance in 1999, when he sat on the Louisville Board of Alderman.

Despite the deleterious claims made by gay rights opponents — which Meeks says remain prevalent today at the state level — a number of high-profile cases eventually became too weighty to ignore.

“There were clearly, as I recall, some horrendous examples of individuals who had been discriminated against,” he says. “I mean, some of the cases were so abhorrent, so blatant, that conscientious citizens began to feel that this just isn’t right.”

source

Contrary to what aeroguy says this stuff does happen. His point is that he can find other legal reasons to discriminate against lesbians and gays if he wants to, to find other reasons to fire them. He probably has a point but it's not that blatant "fired because you're GLBT" doesn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies