Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 07:37 PM

68,347 posts, read 54,470,554 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 03:15 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,336,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Yes, is this who you really want running the country?
I don't think she's planning to run the country (I'm still not familiar with this woman or that church — sorry) Do you know something that we don't?

She does have a right to protest though, according to the Constitution. I don't see anything in those signs that are any worse than much of the anti-Bush, or anti-war signs and posters we saw for eight years. Some of those signs were just plain vile.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
I think it would be even worse than this.
And just what makes you think so, Joey? The O.P.'s "predictions" are a bit far fetched, to say the least. I can't imagine what you'd come up with (I don't think I want to know, either — though I'm sure it would be quite humorous).

Thread starters like this are just for the purpose of grabbing for attention. That's all this kind of post is. In writing, it's called "sensationalism".

The forum here is "Politics and Other Controversies". This thread isn't about "politics", it's (once again) about bashing Christians. That is the reason the thread was started. It isn't about "controversy" either; because there are no such plans by any Christians or so-called "right wing extremist" groups to snatch control of the government and turn it into a theocracy.

Our nation was founded by Christians, many whom left their former countries specifically for the purpose of escaping religious persecution, whom you would probably call "Bible thumpers"; but, none sought to establish a theocracy here. Instead, they sought to establish a government that was limited in it's power over the people, allowing for maximum liberty (including religious liberty); a government that recognized the God given right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, where the individual was free to achieve whatever they dreamed. It has been called "rugged individualism", and it is what has made this country great.

Because of what they had experienced in their former country, under oppressive government, they sought to protect the Church from government dictate; thus, the so-called "establishment clause" of the first amendment to the Constitution.

What we need to fear today are the Godless among us who seek to destroy what our founders created. Some actually advocate abolishing the Constitution. President Obama sees it as an obstacle, so he simply ignores it. He has called it "flawed", and a document of "negative liberty", that doesn't say enough about what the government should do "on your behalf". He has it wrong. The constitution was to protect us from government.

Christians do not pose a threat to liberty. The rabid government bureaucrats of the Progressive movement do. Just look at what they are trying to establish in this administration. That, my friend, is what you need to fear.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 12-11-2009 at 05:06 AM..

Old 12-11-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
The Religious "Fright." The rest of us would scare the bejeezus out of them !
Whatever that means.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:27 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,300,255 times
So I take it that you believe that secular leftists have been in power in this nation since Jamestown?

Old 12-11-2009, 05:28 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,712,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
And just what makes you think so, Joey? The O.P.'s "predictions" are a bit far fetched, to say the least. I can't imagine what you'd come up with (I don't think I want to know, either — though I'm sure it would be quite humorous).

Thread starters like this are just for the purpose of grabbing for attention. That's all this kind of post is. In writing, it's called "sensationalism".

The forum here is "Politics and Other Controversies". This thread isn't about "politics", it's (once again) about bashing Christians. That is the reason the thread was started. It isn't about "controversy" either; because there are no such plans by any Christians or so-called "right wing extremist" groups to snatch control of the government and turn it into a theocracy.

Our nation was founded by Christians, many whom left their former countries specifically for the purpose of escaping religious persecution, whom you would probably call "Bible thumpers"; but, none sought to establish a theocracy here. Instead, they sought to establish a government that was limited in it's power over the people, allowing for maximum liberty (including religious liberty); a government that recognized the God given right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, where the individual was free to achieve whatever they dreamed. It has been called "rugged individualism", and it is what has made this country great.

Because of what they had experienced in their former country, under oppressive government, they sought to protect the Church from government dictate; thus, the so-called "establishment clause" of the first amendment to the Constitution.

What we need to fear today are the Godless among us who seek to destroy what our founders created. Some actually advocate abolishing the Constitution. President Obama sees it as an obstacle, so he simply ignores it. He has called it "flawed", and a document of "negative liberty", that doesn't say enough about what the government should do "on your behalf". He has it wrong. The constitution was to protect us from government.

Christians do not pose a threat to liberty. The rabid government bureaucrats of the Progressive movement do. Just look at what they are trying to establish in this administration. That, my friend, is what you need to fear.
Excellent post. Pay attention especially to the last two paragraphs, folks, as the 'fundamental transformation' of this country continues, like a steamroller, on its course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
The Religious "Fright." The rest of us would scare the bejeezus out of them !
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Whatever that means.
Yes, an intelligent contribution for sure. I don't know what it means either, and I can't figure why - why in the world - are they so scared of us - except that maybe, down deep, they sense that we are right. There seems to be a deep seated drive to chip away at us at every opportunity, relentlessly, in the hopes that we'll just disappear into nothingness. Ever notice that they're getting nastier, too, feeding off each other. Packs of animals do that, not civil human beings.

No politeness, no courtesy, no real exchange of views, no respect. Is that really representative of who they are, I wonder, and don't they realize that they're spinning their wheels.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:28 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,854,562 times
Quote:
Here are my predictions if the religious right were to ever get complete power in the USA, which could happen if Obama screws up bad enough and this country elects Palin as President and congress is overtaken by ultra-conservative Republicans.

-Science would be banned from schools and be replaced with Bible classes
-Any scientist who openly denied a literal 6-day creation that occurred 6000 years ago would be put on a watch list
-Divorce would be banned
-Gays would be tortured and killed if they refused to be "cured" by a group such as Exodus International
-Everyone would be required to attend church and the government would track it by a church membership ID card
-All churches that denied a literal, fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible would be closed, non-Christian religious groups would have to go underground
-Alcohol would be banned
-Women would be banned from holding full-time jobs if they had children under age 16
-The prerequisite for holding political office would be to have once been a full time minister i.e. Huckabee
-The Constitution would be amended repealing the First Amendment, and the Bible, specifically Mosaic Law (Leviticus) would be declared as equal to the Constitution in determining the laws of the United States
-In order to ensure they never lost power in the US again, they would only allow certain people to vote that passed a "holiness test" in the national Baptist church
-Shirley Phelps Roper would be Attorney General of the United States

Thoughts?
Moose hunting would be obligatory.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:34 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,961,423 times
Quote:
Here are my predictions if the religious right were to ever get complete power in the USA, which could happen if Obama screws up bad enough and this country elects Palin as President and congress is overtaken by ultra-conservative Republicans.

-Science would be banned from schools and be replaced with Bible classes
-Any scientist who openly denied a literal 6-day creation that occurred 6000 years ago would be put on a watch list
-Divorce would be banned
-Gays would be tortured and killed if they refused to be "cured" by a group such as Exodus International
-Everyone would be required to attend church and the government would track it by a church membership ID card
-All churches that denied a literal, fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible would be closed, non-Christian religious groups would have to go underground
-Alcohol would be banned
-Women would be banned from holding full-time jobs if they had children under age 16
-The prerequisite for holding political office would be to have once been a full time minister i.e. Huckabee
-The Constitution would be amended repealing the First Amendment, and the Bible, specifically Mosaic Law (Leviticus) would be declared as equal to the Constitution in determining the laws of the United States
-In order to ensure they never lost power in the US again, they would only allow certain people to vote that passed a "holiness test" in the national Baptist church
-Shirley Phelps Roper would be Attorney General of the United States

Thoughts?
Unfortunately, the points listed are closer to the truth than not. As a Christian and as an American, I would fight any such takeover of our nation by extremists and I know that the vast majority would do so also. So, let the far right, especially the extremists that would turn our nation into a Christian Iran, dream away, it is their right. But if they ever attempt to make their dream become reality they should be given a swift and hard reality check.
Casper

Old 12-11-2009, 05:40 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,854,562 times
Palin makes Dumb people look intelligent and the thought of her even running for President (especially after her stupidity when running for VP) should make every American wonder how this could even be a option. The religous right are nut jobs, pure and simple.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:42 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,199,185 times
The Religious Right is a fringe group. But they have Republican sympathizers, probably more than will admit to it.
The Religious Right most definitely wants power by whatever means possible. And what will the sympathizers do? They'll remain silent and look the other way.
The Constitution...for the Right the 2nd Amendment is the The Constitution. Who cares about the rest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies